Talk Of Thai Army Intervention Is Being Played Up

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Talk of army intervention is being played up

By Avudh Panananda

Soldiers are not villains bent on tampering with the July 3 vote and anxiety surrounding claims the military will intervene in the ballot is actually attributed to an illusion invented by politicians for partisan interests.

The armed forces has ousted a number of elected governments, meddled in several power sharing arrangements and backed military dictators. But soldiers have never intervened in the balloting process.

For the past few months, Pheu Thai Party and its red-shirt supporters have been sounding the alarm on the military-police task force 315, arguing that its drug suppression mission was a pretext to intimidate voters.

After weeks of hue and cry, not a single piece of evidence has emerged to prove how and why the task force might be prying voters away from Pheu Thai.

Even Pheu Thai candidate Pairoj Issaraseripong conceded last week that his confrontation with the task force stemmed from concern about trumped-up drug charges against his constituents and not vote canvassing or intimidation in Bangkok's Nong Chok district.

The whisper campaign against the military, apparently trickled down from Pheu Thai, focused on three issues - supposed intimidation of voters via the task force, an alleged standing order for troops to vote for the Democrats and that "special power" will be invoked after the vote to influence the formation of a new coalition government.

Even if there was a discreet way to organise a block vote for one party, past elections saw the defeat of several military-backed candidates, including the late Samak Sundaravej, in military-dominated constituencies such as Bangkok's Dusit district and Khon Kaen.

In 2008, politicians voluntarily flocked to the Army compound inside the First Infantry Regiment to discuss sharing power. The military's alleged "special power" to form a government seems overrated. Soldiers had no mandate or moral authority to dictate to politicians. Past military involvement happened because of political consent.

Bashing the military might gain sympathy votes for Pheu Thai. But is it wise to do this when the progress of democracy hinges on keeping soldiers in their barracks?

Last Thursday, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha and his predecessor General Anupong Paochinda made two separate statements, signalling the military stand on the general election.

Prayuth lashed out at Pheu Thai for its groundless allegation against the task force. The gist of his outburst was a warning for Pheu Thai to stop mocking soldiers for partisan gains.

Earlier he made a series of strong remarks reminding Pheu Thai and the red shirts about unwarranted concern about seizing power to derail the vote or to block Pheu Thai from grabbing power.

Anupong called on voters to turn out in large numbers in order to have a decisive outcome to end the political rivalry.

He said the voice of the people should be loud and clear to favour one party over another, otherwise the country would never get out of the political quagmire.

It is ironic that when the top brass have been trying to stay in their barracks, politicians want to play up the military card in order to gain an upper hand in the power struggle.

Regardless of the winning party, the military leaders will survive and thrive unscathed. If coup leaders could successfully make a deal with People Power in 2007, then there is no reason to suspect the top brass is in danger of being sidelined if Pheu Thai wins.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-14

Pheu Thai have no choice but to start whisper campaigns against the army. They have nothing to offer for the betterment of Thailand so start a fear campaign

O wait I forgot they were going to offer all school children a free computer so they wont have to learn how to add two plus two and come up with four. And the list of nonsense goes on and on. One week they are going to give amnesty to every one the next week it is on the back burner. Like as if the man they take there orders from is going to let that happen. After all the money he spent and lives he caused to end. Just so he can come back and take a firmer hold on controlling the money from corruption that he is so good at and also solidify his power.

To be fair the Democrats have thrown out some ridicules promises also but they have enough of a solid platform that they don't have to start a fear campaign.

PT has a whisper campaign?

Looks to be the Dems, as the opinion piece above from the Dems newspaper; The Nation, is an example of.

The Nation editorial piece is broadly correct, namely that the military has no record of interfering with the balloting process.Indeed despite intimidation and threats, I do not believe it would be possible for it to do so to any significant degree.The concern is what it would do after the election if the Thai people produce a result it finds unsatisfactory.

The Nation editorial piece is broadly correct, namely that the military has no record of interfering with the balloting process.Indeed despite intimidation and threats, I do not believe it would be possible for it to do so to any significant degree.The concern is what it would do after the election if the Thai people produce a result it finds unsatisfactory.

and lets hope if it comes to it they save Thailand again from this megalomaniac

You mean an internal military move to kick out the deplorable Prayuth? It's possible I suppose though unlikely.

Of course in a cataclysmic situation one has a fairly good idea where the loyalties of ordinary Thai soldiers lie.

PT has a whisper campaign?

Looks to be the Dems, as the opinion piece above from the Dems newspaper; The Nation, is an example of.

I fail to understand how you can say " the military has no record of interfering with the balloting process" and also say " despite intimidation and threats " in the same postong.

The miliary has a long history of interfering with the balloting process, based on media suppression, intimidation and threats. In recent history, we have the " take it or leave it " referendum of the junta sponsored constitution in August, 2007. This was followed by the military's active suppression of the PPP campaign in the General Election of December, 2007. We will. of couse never know the effect ( "to any significant degree") of this suppression, and whether it cost the PPP majority government , or actually gave the PP more votes.

...but don't try to say the military has "no record " of this !

Some sources for you -- I'm sure you can find more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7157829.stm

I fail to understand how you can say " the military has no record of interfering with the balloting process" and also say " despite intimidation and threats " in the same postong.

The miliary has a long history of interfering with the balloting process, based on media suppression, intimidation and threats. In recent history, we have the " take it or leave it " referendum of the junta sponsored constitution in August, 2007. This was followed by the military's active suppression of the PPP campaign in the General Election of December, 2007. We will. of couse never know the effect ( "to any significant degree") of this suppression, and whether it cost the PPP majority government , or actually gave the PP more votes.

...but don't try to say the military has "no record " of this !

Some sources for you -- I'm sure you can find more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_general_election,_2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7157829.stm

Everything you say is correct (and any fair minded person knows the Thai military's record of interference is a national disgrace) but my argument is despite the chicanery of the military it has not been possible for it to affect the overall result.I accept it means that the opposition operates under a disadvantage.

What are the chances at the moment of another red/yellow shirt shenanigans around and after the elections and what set of circumstances do you think would kick it off?

Was thinking of coming out around that time but last year they totally ruined my plans :/

What are the chances at the moment of another red/yellow shirt shenanigans around and after the elections and what set of circumstances do you think would kick it off?

Was thinking of coming out around that time but last year they totally ruined my plans :/

Go for it Razzler - I get to BKK 3 weeks after the elections and can't wait to see the post-election atmosphere 'live'

You could consider yourself a post-election observer. cool.gif

If PTP wins, there will likely only be problems once they start to change laws to give Thaksin amnesty.

If Dems win, the red shirts will be out pretty quickly, particularly if PTP get more seats but can't get a coalition together.

Take your chances and avoid hot spots.