Best Value Fillet Steak In Chiang Mai 165 Baht

SausageKing

For the price 165 Baht i not worry to much if the steak has been in pinapple first ? what a quick cheap meal. 165 Baht wow great value.

We know. You said that in yhour first post.

I agree the steaks are very soft, like butter. Too soft.

My guess is that the steaks are marinated in pineapple juice to tenderize them.

i still agree with most posts about the value. i just choose not to eat the beef.

Am Sorry but i not agree about the beef. Its the best i have had so far its like cutting through butter,maybe they have changed beef supplier now ? try it again. Rob/sk

Its really a great value to say the least. We mostly go there for their beef steaks but they also offer a good variety of other types of food.

They used to have the absolute best roasted garlic mashed potatoes, but last time we were there it seems that they have changed. Last time it was a huge portion(size of my head) and very good, but plain (no roasted garlic). Also, the last couple of times there I haven't seen the waitress that had been there for years. Anyone know of what's happened to the waitress? I'm hoping that she finally got her operation and is recovering, but I know it just as likely that she's quit of got let go.

I think the waitress was Noi or Moi. I haven't seen her in many months and the cards asking for donations for her surgery have been gone for an equally long time. I hope she's doing well.

I've been going for years and I don't remember the garlic mashed potatoes, but I have to admit I usually get the fries (excellent) or the scalloped potatoes (even better) that come with the confit de canard.

I agree it's great value, but imho I think the beef is their only weak link. I love their confit de canard, the charcuterie plate, and all their sauces especially on their pork or chicken dishes. But I find their beef to be of poor quality, typical of many Thai restaurants.

It's hard to find but worth the trip. FYI - they are closed on Mondays.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been going there for years.

Usually order the filet, either green peppercorn or wine sauce with the excellent mashed potatoes.

Have sampled most of the menu, but keep coming back to the above.

Great value for money, nothing fancy but good honest food.

Thumbs up from me....:thumbsup:

I ate there yesterday . Hate steak with wine sauce and my wife had the club sandwich . Very good ! Difficult to find but worth the hunt for sure ....

I'm sure the word "hate" above is a typo for 'had.' (?)

When I lived nearby about a year ago, I went there several times and found it disappointing. I did not try the beef, however, and time's gone by, so I'll try again - what with all those computer places nearby!

However, I am certain that I'll never get a decent beef anything here in CM that has not been frozen or marinated, unless I want to pay for those flown in. So anyone with a good marinade, a particularly good sauce, and a 'reasonable' price should get kudos.

Edited by CMX

I ate at Franco-Thai last night. My wife had the steak with the red wine sauce. The steak tasted average - good for Thai. What made it was the sauce. Really an excellent taste. I had the fillet of sole. Aside from the fact that the fillet had some bones (no big deal to me, but worth mentioning), the sauce was a lemon/cream which was quite good. The mashed potatoes were ok - not great, not horrible. The price for the sole was 150 THB. Very reasonable. I will return, but I'm in no hurry - especially since I discovered that Butter Is Better will soon start staying open for dinner.

Edited by venturalaw

Hope its 165 Baht ?? Golf matter look who living chiangmai,great trick shots and customer sk.http://www.noelhuntgolfshow.com/

Periodically there are special sales in the barn area adjacent to the way-back nine of Lanna Golf Course where you can choose and cut your own tenderloin or filet !!

Edited by SausageKing

I miss the Filmore East. The operation might have been a little shady, but the American steaks were not (usually) frozen, cooked over a flame and really good.

a good replacement is Chez Marcos filet, aged beef . Now for many the best steak deal in town for the real taste of grilled aged beef, the real deal .... Marcos is up town at 450 baht for the best Filet with the real sause in Chiang Mai , well worth it.and certainly surpases Filmore East ,his the last place on the river never was at the first place . UG, Try Marcos aged beef you'll most likely agree.!!

Edited by yesterday

Is somewhat edible local beef (with a nice sauce) more acceptable? :D

More accurate. :thumbsup:

I still remember what steak tasted like back home. Fortunately I never crave it (always preferred seafood) so I'm ok.

I also crave for fish and chips on a friday yum yum.

Is somewhat edible local beef (with a nice sauce) more acceptable? :D

More accurate. :thumbsup:

I still remember what steak tasted like back home. Fortunately I never crave it (always preferred seafood) so I'm ok.

Excellent value for money, good food, German size portions for those who wish to Pig Out.

Can't understand why I have not visited for some months.

john

Probably the owner who only seems to be interested in his own countrymen.

• Like 1

Just got back from FRANCO-THAI PLACE RESTAURANT twice in to weeks 165 + 165 = 330 baht, Better stay in next week ha ha,tried the garlic and herb butter sausace over the steak this time.It was great value for 165 baht, To many fries on the plate so i did not finish all.today.

I think you are in polite to say such a bad thing like that.

The Germans are pigs? :lol: :lol:

If you get the mash potatoes with the garlic and parsley what you don't use on the steak you can mix it in with the mash thats what i do anyways tastes great .when i first discovered franco thai went mad for it eased off a bit now .I always like going in central to the tappan restaurant next subways on the ground floor and getting the steak set comes with garlic rice soup and salad all for 129 baht great value and not bad price if the young guy cooks it for me as he puts loads of wine on it .

Edited by rakchaingmai

If you get the mash potatoes with the garlic and parsley what you don't use on the steak you can mix it in with the mash thats what i do anyways tastes great .when i first discovered franco thai went mad for it eased off a bit now

I was the exact same way. I used to go 2 times a week and loved it. I haven't made it there for a few months but I was always very happy.

I would use the left over sauce from the steak for the mash potatoes and then clean the plate with the bread --- my grandmother would have been very proud because the plate was spotless when I was finished

Did you get two slices of fresh baked bread with your dinner ? When we were there we got bread that i think was baked their ?? Lovely bread and am sure they make their own ? Rob/sk

If you get the mash potatoes with the garlic and parsley what you don't use on the steak you can mix it in with the mash thats what i do anyways tastes great .when i first discovered franco thai went mad for it eased off a bit now

I was the exact same way. I used to go 2 times a week and loved it. I haven't made it there for a few months but I was always very happy.

I would use the left over sauce from the steak for the mash potatoes and then clean the plate with the bread --- my grandmother would have been very proud because the plate was spotless when I was finished

• 1 year later...

Marcos has excellent local beef, but it just does not compare with decent imported stuff. sad.gif

Chez Marcos serves "kho khun" Thai beef - the tenderloin is just as tender, just as tasty, as the imported Australia or New Zealand beef, if not better. If you are not familiar with kho khun beef, check out the string on this forum from a few months ago. Chez Marcos buys this beef at Rimping (Nim City), riced at 1,300 baht per kilogram. Good beef!

Marcos has excellent local beef, but it just does not compare with decent imported stuff. sad.gif

Chez Marcos serves "kho khun" Thai beef - the tenderloin is just as tender, just as tasty, as the imported Australia or New Zealand beef, if not better. If you are not familiar with kho khun beef, check out the string on this forum from a few months ago. Chez Marcos buys this beef at Rimping (Nim City), riced at 1,300 baht per kilogram. Good beef!

Phonyangkham supplies Thai-French premium beef to an impressive list of Chiang Mai restaurants and hotels, including Four Seasons; Duke's; Riverside Market; Khanthary Hills; Yummy Pizza; et al. Phongyangkham's highest-priced beef in stock is tenderloin, priced at about 1,300 baht per kilo. This is the "regular grade" tenderloin, and it's the tenderloin ordered by most hotels and restaurants. Their "grade A" tenderloin (best marbling) is about 1,400 baht per kilo, but there's little to no demand for it in Chiang Mai at this time.

Rimping is stocked with the Kasetsart University premium beef (the other Thailand "kho-khun" premium beef).