Best Value Fillet Steak In Chiang Mai 165 Baht

SausageKing

Hi all and today a customer of sausage king told be to check out this french restaurant where they have the best steak ever up to now. Fillet steak was so tender i guess it was Thai/French beef. I have never been before and i do not supply their but credit where it due 10/10 for quality and service. The steak can be ordered with many types of sauce,i had the red wine sauce with real home made fries WOW not frozen rubbish and nice side salad. Value for money 2 piece of fillet steak -large amout of fries lovely fresh made red wine sauce,and a healthy salad for 165 baht, No catch to it. a little hard to find first time but dont give up and try it.if its was rubbish i would say so. I even left a nice tip.its all western menu.Tip do not need to order a starter because main course is more than enough. Rob/sk

post-112062-0-77624000-1308054742_thumb.

post-112062-0-53153400-1308054765_thumb.

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't see the photos in your post so I do not know if they include a clue as to the name of the restaurant and its location. If not, are we to guess the name of the establishment to which you were referring?

Hi and its clear on my pc ? Not to worry The Restaurant name is FRANCO-THAI PLACE. 19/3 SOI 3 Behind ICON PLAZA Maneenoparat road,T.Sriphum,A.muang,C.Mai 5000. TEL: 089-8556697. if you have chiangmai Ram Hospital on your left Then go past and through the lights and take first Right and drive down this soi until you are behind ICON and turn left and first right, This is a dead end soi so park where you can. good luck. Rob/sk

I couldn't see the photos in your post so I do not know if they include a clue as to the name of the restaurant and its location. If not, are we to guess the name of the establishment to which you were referring?

I'll make that a 3rd positive vote. A friend took me there shortly after I arrived in CM. While I did not have the steak, everything I did have, including the wine, was quite tasty. Worth the effort to find it.

David

Its really a great value to say the least. We mostly go there for their beef steaks but they also offer a good variety of other types of food.

They used to have the absolute best roasted garlic mashed potatoes, but last time we were there it seems that they have changed. Last time it was a huge portion(size of my head) and very good, but plain (no roasted garlic). Also, the last couple of times there I haven't seen the waitress that had been there for years. Anyone know of what's happened to the waitress? I'm hoping that she finally got her operation and is recovering, but I know it just as likely that she's quit of got let go.

Its really a great value to say the least. We mostly go there for their beef steaks but they also offer a good variety of other types of food.

They used to have the absolute best roasted garlic mashed potatoes, but last time we were there it seems that they have changed. Last time it was a huge portion(size of my head) and very good, but plain (no roasted garlic). Also, the last couple of times there I haven't seen the waitress that had been there for years. Anyone know of what's happened to the waitress? I'm hoping that she finally got her operation and is recovering, but I know it just as likely that she's quit of got let go.

I think the waitress was Noi or Moi. I haven't seen her in many months and the cards asking for donations for her surgery have been gone for an equally long time. I hope she's doing well.

I've been going for years and I don't remember the garlic mashed potatoes, but I have to admit I usually get the fries (excellent) or the scalloped potatoes (even better) that come with the confit de canard.

I agree it's great value, but imho I think the beef is their only weak link. I love their confit de canard, the charcuterie plate, and all their sauces especially on their pork or chicken dishes. But I find their beef to be of poor quality, typical of many Thai restaurants.

It's hard to find but worth the trip. FYI - they are closed on Mondays.

Well here is the scam--Filet steak is a lot different than filet mignon. Filet mignon comes from the tenderloin of beef. If that is the case than it is a good deal. That Singapore guest house in backpackerville, did a filet steak special and it was a very cheap cut of meat.

Well here is the scam--Filet steak is a lot different than filet mignon. Filet mignon comes from the tenderloin of beef. If that is the case than it is a good deal. That Singapore guest house in backpackerville, did a filet steak special and it was a very cheap cut of meat.

Fillet steak is a steak made from tenderloin part and Filet mignon is just the French name of it. If it's not from tenderloin then it's a rip off.

It's a steak for a lady anyway.

A fillet is just a piece that is cut from a larger portion, one can fillet a fish or a tomato. Also when naming menu items often culinary license (like poetic license) is used, esp. when translating into a diff. language or w/a foreign cuisine

I also go quite often.

Black pepper sauce, green pepper sauce and mushroom sauce are all excellent.

You can get better steaks in CM but you'll be paying a high premium for them. Value for money, Franco-Thai is excellent.

Definitely recommend it.

Am Sorry but i not agree about the beef. Its the best i have had so far its like cutting through butter,maybe they have changed beef supplier now ? try it again. Rob/sk

I think the waitress was Noi or Moi. I haven't seen her in many months and the cards asking for donations for her surgery have been gone for an equally long time. I hope she's doing well.

I've been going for years and I don't remember the garlic mashed potatoes, but I have to admit I usually get the fries (excellent) or the scalloped potatoes (even better) that come with the confit de canard.

I agree it's great value, but imho I think the beef is their only weak link. I love their confit de canard, the charcuterie plate, and all their sauces especially on their pork or chicken dishes. But I find their beef to be of poor quality, typical of many Thai restaurants.

Fillet steak is a steak made from tenderloin part and Filet mignon is just the French name of it. If it's not from tenderloin then it's a rip off.

It's a steak for a lady anyway.

Exactly--we had usda a choice tenderloin here last week for 390 per kg. So if it is real tenderloin and say 200 grams, that is still pretty good. Chateau Briand is also a scam, and it is suppose to be the fatter end of the tenderloin, but the scammers will use a piece of sirloin.

Edited by Thighlander

Just curious, what is the "Thai/French beef" the OP is referring to? Cattle bred from mixed Thai French parents? Or, Cattle born in France and raised and slaughtered in Thailand? Or, cattle raised in France and exported to Thailand just for slaughter? Or, buffalo from the new "Thai/French Farm" somewhere near Doi whatever? Or, maybe just a new line in BS?

Ate in Sahara on Nimanhemin last night and I'm starting to understand why they have no customers, at least anytime I've been there. My Thai friend ordered "Fillet Mignon" which looked great in the picture on the menu, and a very good deal at 250 Bt. The small shriveled up piece of meat that arrived with a portion of soggy fries was almost uncutable with the knives provided; he gave up with jaw ache after loads of chewing. Caveat Emptor: if it looks too good to be true.........

I fared no better opting to try the Pizza. OK, the warning was there at 99Bt, so I wasn't expecting much, but I had hoped for much better than what I got! The place seems well run but the cheap food and cost driven menu clearly isn't working.

you are picking the wrong items the burger is the best thing on the menu a Saharas a recommendation from a previous thread .

Already tried that. Burger was O.K., for the price, but ruined by the awful fries that came with it. I'd rather pay more for a decent burger though.

What was good on a previous visit was a Kebab and Hummus I had. :thumbsup:

you are picking the wrong items the burger is the best thing on the menu a Saharas a recommendation from a previous thread .

Already tried that. Burger was O.K., for the price, but ruined by the awful fries that came with it. I'd rather pay more for a decent burger though.

What was good on a previous visit was a Kebab and Hummus I had. :thumbsup:

Kebab a little chewy and dry. hummus a little to much lime juice (although they'll make it to order if you tell them what you want). The burger hasn't disappointed yet, but I'm already over my burger quota for the month.

Anyhow as far as Franco-Thai goes, give the carpaccio and pate a try. Very tasty and good value too.

Edited by lannarebirth

We know. You said that in yhour first post.

I agree the steaks are very soft, like butter. Too soft.

My guess is that the steaks are marinated in pineapple juice to tenderize them.

i still agree with most posts about the value. i just choose not to eat the beef.

Am Sorry but i not agree about the beef. Its the best i have had so far its like cutting through butter,maybe they have changed beef supplier now ? try it again. Rob/sk