"Witnessed" A Hit And Run

snoother

Heard a loud crashing noise last night, and then saw a white yaris speed away as fast as possible.

According to my curious girlfriend who went investigating, the farang was going away from a bar, making a U turn on a large 4 track road (viset road in phuket for the locals). Two thai guys on a motorbike smashed directly on the side of the car and were sent flying over the car along with the motorbike! It seems the crash was pretty brutal and the guys badly hurt. Lots of blood spelt, at least a few broken bones and possibly a head trauma. Sadly they were not wearing helmets...

The farang was obviously drunk as it was the bar's closing time. Had he remained on the scene, what would he have risked? I'm guessing a large fine, compensation for medical and mechanical issues and possibly jail time for drunken driving.

But now that he has fled like a despicable human being, what is he facing now? The bargirls know he is kind of a regular customer living in the area and gave the licence plate number to the police, so it's only a matter of time until he gets caught (unless he took the first plane out of thailand this morning).

If he's indeed a farang and driving the said car, he was already caught, given a thrashing and woke up this morning with a serious hangover and body aches all over. What his charges will be depends on whether any life is lost and if not, how deep are his pockets.

Do the right thing. If you have information tell the police. Maybe he's already been caught but the police don't have enough to hold them. Then they do it again but this time kills someone. What if that was your friends on the bike? or someone you loved and cared about? It doesn't make any difference who's involved, the fact is, the person is as low as anyone else that leaves the scene of a crime especially if there has been injuries. People who think otherwise can just crawl under a rock and join them too!

Do the right thing. If you have information tell the police. Maybe he's already been caught but the police don't have enough to hold them. Then they do it again but this time kills someone. What if that was your friends on the bike? or someone you loved and cared about? It doesn't make any difference who's involved, the fact is, the person is as low as anyone else that leaves the scene of a crime especially if there has been injuries. People who think otherwise can just crawl under a rock and join them too!

Grass :bah:

Nothing crass about it! He should report it...period.

I have absolutly no relevant information to tell the police. There were at least half a dozen direct witnesses and according to the second poster the guy has been caught already. I'm just wondering what his fate should and will be.

I have absolutly no relevant information to tell the police. There were at least half a dozen direct witnesses and according to the second poster the guy has been caught already. I'm just wondering what his fate should and will be.

Well then its done. If you knew the answer why even ask the question?

Grass = British English slang for a police informer.

Why get involved in something like this when it is none of your business?

I'm sure I'm not the only one here thinking what a wonderful human being you must be.

Edited by roamer

If I had witnessed anything like that incident, I would have informed the police without hesitation, even if I knew this pig or he had been a friend, because who would want to be associated with anyone like that?

All my kids use motorbikes, and I always breath a sigh of relief when they arrive home safely.

As for calling someone a grass, lovelaos, maybe you know this pig, or perhaps you are the hit and run drunken maniac?

Edited by Beetlejuice

If I had witnessed anything like that incident, I would have informed the police without hesitation, even if I knew this pig or he had been a friend, because who would want to be associated with anyone like that?

All my kids use motorbikes, and I always breath a sigh of relief when they arrive home safely.

As for calling someone a grass, lovelaos, maybe you know this pig, or perhaps you are the hit and run drunken maniac?

For once I agree with you. Well almost pigs are nice animals which would not do this.

A crime is a crime, and you help solve it. Civility falls apart with numpties like you around.

Sorry, english is not my first language and maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly. When I write "fate" I am thinking about what should happen to him according to the thai legal system, and what will probably happen (how much will it cost him to get out of jail, etc...).

He's been caught and beaten up. Som nam na. Now what?

Hitting and running is a serious offence in most countries, but I dont know about this strange Thailand where, for example, my expats friends advise me to keep driving when police ask me to stop, which is not something you'd like to do in USA...

If you don't know the answer, and didn't even bother to read the question, why are you posting in this thread?

Sorry, english is not my first language and maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly. When I write "fate" I am thinking about what should happen to him according to the thai legal system, and what will probably happen (how much will it cost him to get out of jail, etc...).

Hitting and running is a serious offence in most countries, but I dont know about this strange Thailand where, for example, my expats friends advise me to keep driving when police ask me to stop, which is not something you'd like to do in USA...

If you don't know the answer, and didn't even bother to read the question, why are you posting in this thread?

Case of trying to do too many things at one time. Listening to TV, answering the phone and replying to your post all at the same time got all the wires crossed. Sometimes the nerve in your Arse gets crossed with the nerve in your eye and you get a crappy outlook on life. In this case it's when the nerve in arse gets crossed with the nerve in your typing hand and you get a crappy post or a crappy answer! Happy?

Edited by Mrjlh

Yeah !! your right your post was mis-interpreted by some a bit but I understood, the answer has already been answered I think it's Thailand, how deep is his pockets.:)

I guess anything between deportation or sitting in the same bar the next night.

Edited by Kwasaki

so your OP was based on assumptions ?

Your children would only be in danger if they ride round like the deranged suicidal morons that we all see and appears to be the ones that come to grief on this occasion, be a decent parent and purchase your children (kids is such a dirty word, mostly used by those who dislike them) pushbikes, unless of course they are of legal age to actually obtain a scooter/bike license the you should teach them to ride responsibly in a manner not dangerous to themselves or to others.

Edited by Spoonman

If I see an accident where I can offer some advice or help then I do so. It is the humane thing to do. As far as speculating on what happens afterwards, that is entirely up to the locals involved. It can vary so much in Thailand that there is no way of knowing. What goes on in the courts I have no way of knowing.

They had to be driving in the fast lane so he did the right thing. They were 'legally' not in that lane so he 'legally' did not hit anyone.

Not sure who to hate more though, the drunk driver or the idiots with no helmet in the wrong lane

Edited by seriouseats

It's a crap shoot to know if someone is going to be there for you if you need it.

First question to Lovelaos, hypothetical of course. What would you want someone to do if this had been your son or daughter on the bike?

Second question. What would you think of that person with the knowledge quick action from that individual would have resulted in your son/daughter life being saved, but because he chose the path of least resistance they died?

So if I drive home drunk and run over your kids would you want people to just mind their own business too? Certainly wouldn't want to be a grass would you.

so your OP was based on assumptions ?

As I said in my OP, my girlfriend is very curious and went to the crash scene to see what happened. She then heard the bargirls talk to the police and so on... Personnaly I don't have this morbid curiosity, seeing people injured or dead lying on the road make me feel uneasy. Unfortunatly it's a frequent sight here in Phuket.

They had to be driving in the fast lane so he did the right thing. They were 'legally' not in that lane so he 'legally' did not hit anyone.

Not sure who to hate more though, the drunk driver or the idiots with no helmet in the wrong lane

How would you know that? The farang crossed the road to go to the opposite lane without looking if there were incoming vehicules. Helmet or not, It was 100% his fault.

A friend of us, a pregnant lady, witnessed a "hit and run" while she was driving near her home. Fortunately no injured people, just damaged cars. She chased the offender (not Starky and Hutch style, just followed rolleyes.gif) for about one hour with her mother on the phone urging her to stop. She eventually managed to block him until the police arrived.

When I hear people talking about the "moral superiority" of western people, it just makes me laugh !

How would you know that? The farang crossed the road to go to the opposite lane without looking if there were incoming vehicules. Helmet or not, It was 100% his fault.

But I thought you didn't actually witness this incident, you said earlier "I have absolutly no relevant information to tell the police", so how do you know for certain that "it was 100% his fault"? in fact you don't know for sure that he was drunk.

That said, all that you are assuming or have heard second or third hand, is probably true, and if this guy did actually cause the crash then he should be held accountable.

I personally would have no hesitation in passing on first hand evidence to the police, even if it did end up with me being labeled as a "grass".

Edited by theoldgit

Quite a bit of the usual aggro going on here and I would strongly suggest to people to drop that tone immediately.

OP has clearly stated his gf went out to the scene and talked to the police and witnesses so presumably that is where he is getting his info from and has asked a simple question as to what are the legal ramifications for a hit and run drunk driver in Thailand. To which, only a couple of people have bothered to answer.

Maybe because its the right thing to do. These motorcycle guys are fcked up now and have no recourse. If this jerk in the car was responsible then he should pay. Next time it could be you and yours. i have had some close calls with cars and motorcycles and they need to be punished

OP has clearly stated his gf went out to the scene and talked to the police and witnesses so presumably that is where he is getting his info from ......

You are of course correct, but the OP does say that the accident "was 100% his fault", of course referring to the driver of the Yaris. And whilst he does go on to say that he got the information from his girlfriend, who got it from someone else, who probably got it from someone else, there is always a danger in that relying on such hearsay evidence people begin to think it's a fact, probably hence his statement "it was 100% his fault". I couldn't find the post where the OP said that his girlfriend had spoken to the police, I must have missed that.

I hope my view isn't regarded as "aggro", it certainly wasn't intended to be.

As I say I would certainly provide evidence to the police if I had witnessed such an incident, as to what could happen to the driver, who knows, if he had deep pockets he could probably buy his way out of trouble, but that would happen if the driver was Thai or Farrang.

I truly hope the motorcyclists make a full recovery, maybe a few more motorcyclists will decide to wear helmets as a result of this, but they are more than likely just to buy a new amphlett.

Edited by theoldgit

I wonder if that's why the search for particular amulets? I've always wondered what they were for. Maybe they think the better and older the amulet the more crazy and irresponsible they will be able to behave on the roads without danger of accidents.