Lost Credit Cards Sent To Chiang Mai

lanna2011

Don't understand either. Banks in Europe, USA and Canada always use UPS, DHL, or FedEx to send cards to destinations around the world. I'm sure it's the same with Australian and other banks.

Mine (from the US) just uses registered airmail. The cards are not able to be used until I contact my banking institutions personally.

Most international banks do not send out PIN nunbers these days under separate cover, they request that you call them to activate the card using your personal details on record.

You don't mention the country of origin of the cards, or the bank in question, or the method of despatch. It seems extremely unlikely that three card would go missing, unless there is an address error. Why would your cards be expired if they have only just sent them?

Some banks in the UK won't send cards to Thailand at all. They say the risk of them being stolen is too high.

They certainly will if you opt to pay their idea of DHL fees which I think includes Xmas bonuses for executives.

They are sent from UK in a white envelope - PIN sent in separate letter (arrived safely) - letter containing cards missing two times - apologies if unclear

the old cards expired - first new ones sent automatically - went missing

same for next two requests - as I say I got the PIN letters successfully so the address was correct

My UK bank (HSBC) send them to their Bangkok office where I pick them up (they require passport for ID). Nice and secure, no problems and no charges. I'm in Bangkok often enough for this to work for me. Would be nice if HSBC had an office in CM but......

My UK bank (HSBC) send them to their Bangkok office where I pick them up (they require passport for ID). Nice and secure, no problems and no charges. I'm in Bangkok often enough for this to work for me. Would be nice if HSBC had an office in CM but......

Perfect solution - Nat West don't have any facilities here - how many times have I wished I'd gone with HSBC? anyway cards are expired and how the f*&k I am going to get new ones is a mystery at the moment

The only solution is to persuade the bank to send to friends who could out them inside a book and Fedex across - but not sure the bank will send to an unregistered address - a pain in the but as I can't access any funds - and many of the electronic banking needs the card in the card reader

Perfect solution - Nat West don't have any facilities here - how many times have I wished I'd gone with HSBC? anyway cards are expired and how the f*&k I am going to get new ones is a mystery at the moment

The only solution is to persuade the bank to send to friends who could out them inside a book and Fedex across - but not sure the bank will send to an unregistered address - a pain in the but as I can't access any funds - and many of the electronic banking needs the card in the card reader

A possible work around would be;

Tell the bank you're moving back to the UK, give them the address of your friends there. Cards get sent, friends post them on.

The bank should have 'change of address forms' available for download.

If I need a card from the U.K. or Switzerland all I have to do is call and ask and they immediately send them FedEX, DHL, or UPS. Same with my USA bank card from Citibank. Put the cards in a book? What for? The banks just drop them in a envelope from either of the 3 courier's above and bingo...they are delivered to your door in C.M. in like 3 days. Citibank does this for free. Banks in Switzerland charge about 30 Francs. Have you called the bank and asked them???

If I need a card from the U.K. or Switzerland all I have to do is call and ask and they immediately send them FedEX, DHL, or UPS. Same with my USA bank card from Citibank. Put the cards in a book? What for? The banks just drop them in a envelope from either of the 3 courier's above and bingo...they are delivered to your door in C.M. in like 3 days. Citibank does this for free. Banks in Switzerland charge about 30 Francs. Have you called the bank and asked them???

The OP (Original Problem) is that they have sent the cards but they haven't arrived :)

Yes, but Lanna2011 hasn't stated HOW the cards were sent. Yes, there could have been a problem with regular post, but DHL, FedEx, UPS should have worked just fine. Plus, you can trace the item on their websites. I've never had anything lost that was sent via these methods. Admittedly, the courier services are much more expensive than regular mail, but well worth it in this case. And probably easier and cheaper in the long-run than trying to get the bank to send the card to a friend and have them send it along, hidden in a book.

Edited by NancyL

This may have nothing to do with how they were sent or whether they arrived. It could be about where they were delivered and who could have had access to the delivery. A maid or almost anyone can sign for a Fedex or DHL delivery. Mail boxes are rarely secure. Many people can have access to PO Boxes which are not locked in the back.

Anyway it does not seem that others have this problem which was the OP's question.

Same here but I told HSBC Premier in Bangkok to forward it to me via mail. They had me sent a copy of my passport via fax before agreeing to do so though.

When you send an item via one of the courier services, their website tracking records the exact time of arrival and who signed for it. Also, you can follow the progress of a shipment and arrange for someone trusted to be home when the shipment is expected.

Edited by NancyL

Commercial banks are sometimes a bit annoying when it comes to mailing stuff to their clients abroad. The australian bank I am with (more precisely, NAB) has never sent any of my stuff via registered mail. But everything still arrived safely. The part where I think my stuff is most exposed to being stolen is in my own mailbox right in front of my house.

Some banks in the UK won't send cards to Thailand at all. They say the risk of them being stolen is too high.

I received my new card from Nationwide last week by regisred post. Was told to use my excisting PIN number and change it at an ATM if l wanted to. Had to call them in the UK to activate the card