Neeranam

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK LaoPo, I'll play with you if nobody else will..... :o

Observations.. the City/Town looks brand spanking new like it's just come off the drawing board of one of Le Corbusier's students.

The cars are driving on the right.

Regimental tree planting all very symetrical.

Lots of walking paths, benches and pavement lights - but no pedestrians

and a big Red Sculpture that looks like it was designed by a commitee.

So I am going to have to make a calculated guess, on the assumption, new town/city = recent wealth, thinks oil, try middle east try :-

Saudi Arabia ?

So I am going to have to make a calculated guess, on the assumption, new town/city = recent wealth, thinks oil, try middle east try :-

Saudi Arabia ?

I too am going for the middle east, for much of the same reasons.

Except due to the shadow from the Hotel (or whatever) that the piccie was taken, i'm going for the opposite side. Maybe Oman or UAE.

OK LaoPo, I'll play with you if nobody else will..... :o

Observations.. the City/Town looks brand spanking new like it's just come off the drawing board of one of Le Corbusier's students.

The cars are driving on the right.

Regimental tree planting all very symetrical.

Lots of walking paths, benches and pavement lights - but no pedestrians

and a big Red Sculpture that looks like it was designed by a commitee.

Saudi Arabia ?

Very good observations LeungKen but a little off on a few points:

1. it's not a brand new city, as shown with this image of a German style building:

In fact, Germany played an important role here, more than 100 years ago, and even introduced their German 'Bier'; still existing today.

They even built a Church:

2. It's a major seaport and also a naval base.

3. Not Saudi Arabia (the Saudis don't drink Bier... :D )

edit: and not Oman or UAE.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

'

I'm off to bed to sleep on it, but with the clues given I am starting to thing Argentina, if nobody has got it by tomorrow morning I'll research Belgrano/Cordoba oh and B.A of course. the other german influences 100 years ago were east africa, west africa, west samoa and new guinea, none of which feel right, perhaps I'm missing something, like Morocco (no they took that from the french 1940'ish) and my middle east history is lacking somewhat (thinks "Greenmantle' John Buchan) Bedtime Ken and try the Sculpture avenue manyana.

'

I'm off to bed to sleep on it, but with the clues given I am starting to thing Argentina, if nobody has got it by tomorrow morning I'll research Belgrano/Cordoba oh and B.A of course. the other german influences 100 years ago were east africa, west africa, west samoa and new guinea, none of which feel right, perhaps I'm missing something, like Morocco (no they took that from the french 1940'ish) and my middle east history is lacking somewhat (thinks "Greenmantle' John Buchan) Bedtime Ken and try the Sculpture avenue manyana.

In Bold, everything is wrong.....although I'm not sure what you mean by 'Belgrano' (Belgrad/Belgrado ? if so, that's wrong also) and B.A.....?

edit:

The contrast couldn't be bigger, could it?

The Germans even built this train station in this city

skyline of the city nowadays.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

The former German enclave of Qingdao is one of the lesser-known former colonial settlements on the Chinese coast. The Germans only governed Qingdao for a few years, but left behind an extraordinary collection of Bavarian-style buildings transposed to China's northeast coast. They also left behind what is now China's biggest and most famous brewery.

The former German enclave of Qingdao is one of the lesser-known former colonial settlements on the Chinese coast. The Germans only governed Qingdao for a few years, but left behind an extraordinary collection of Bavarian-style buildings transposed to China's northeast coast. They also left behind what is now China's biggest and most famous brewery.

Qingdao it is; the sailing city of the Beijing 2008 Olympics. Well done Bino !

LaoPo

Since I'm dead certain about Qingdao, I'm going to post the next city for everyone to chew on before I go to bed.

post-18167-1196361605_thumb.jpg

post-18167-1196361546_thumb.jpg

I'll also give a big hint.... It isn't in China!

Chinatown in San Francisco.

LaoPo

Since I'm dead certain about Qingdao, I'm going to post the next city for everyone to chew on before I go to bed.

post-18167-1196361605_thumb.jpg

post-18167-1196361546_thumb.jpg

I'll also give a big hint.... It isn't in China!

Chinatown in San Francisco.

LaoPo

BUGGA, bin in bed.

I Knew dat...... grrrrrrrr

Not San Francisico!

You're right...it's Seattle :D

LaoPo

Nooo...It isn't!

That's weird Bino; look for yourself:

the photo I found in 'Chinatown Seattle' in this link: http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http...ficial%26sa%3DN

And below is YOUR image:

I think they're exactly the same Chinese Arches; same Lions; same Traffic Light (with Red and Blue colors); same building to the right and many more similarities...

Either one of the photos tells it's in the wrong city...but the Arches themselves are the same. Look at the white stripes in the street.

I tell you what: let's travel to Seattle and see for ourselves. :o

How do we solve this ?

LaoPo

Not San Francisico!

LaoPo

Nooo...It isn't!

the photo I found in 'Chinatown Seattle' in this link: http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http...ficial%26sa%3DN

And below is YOUR image:

I think they're exactly the same Chinese Arches; same Lions; same Traffic Light (with Red and Blue colors); same building to the right and many more similarities...

Either one of the photos tells it's in the wrong city...but the Arches themselves are the same. Look at the white stripes in the street.

How do we solve this ?

LaoPo

Trying to figure out how to prove this without tipping my hand.....

I can categorically tell you that this gate is not in Seattle. I have seen this gate in person.

If you continue looking at more images in the search "Chinatown Seattle", this gate is only featured once. however, this pagoda:

post-18167-1196386777_thumb.jpg

is featured in several pictures. It is nowhere near as impressive, but gets a lot more coverage in the Chinatown Seattle search. Hence, this is probably actually in Seattle. I would say that the Seattle site is using some "artistic licence" (or theft) to promote their otherwise crappy chinatown.

A search for Chinatown *Mycity* shows a couple of pages of results and different views.

OK na krap? I'll tip my hand and show you if you still don't believe it!

BTW- trip to Seattle to settle this sounds great! Bring your wife to translate for us...we might even find some Tsingtao beers!

Not San Francisico!

LaoPo

Nooo...It isn't!

And below is YOUR image:

How do we solve this ?

LaoPo

Trying to figure out how to prove this without tipping my hand.....

I can categorically tell you that this gate is not in Seattle. I have seen this gate in person.

If you continue looking at more images in the search "Chinatown Seattle", this gate is only featured once. however, this pagoda:

post-18167-1196386777_thumb.jpg

is featured in several pictures. It is nowhere near as impressive, but gets a lot more coverage in the Chinatown Seattle search. Hence, this is probably actually in Seattle. I would say that the Seattle site is using some "artistic licence" (or theft) to promote their otherwise crappy chinatown.

A search for Chinatown *Mycity* shows a couple of pages of results and different views.

OK na krap? I'll tip my hand and show you if you still don't believe it!

BTW- trip to Seattle to settle this sounds great! Bring your wife to translate for us...we might even find some Tsingtao beers!

------------------------------------------

Same pix, but 'Frisco, been there lotsa times.

I have taken the same pic.

KiwiPete

KiwiPete

Maybe Frisco has something similar, but this is not San Francisico!!

Edit: this is the gate to Chinatown in SF.

post-18167-1196394704_thumb.jpg

Edited by bino

KiwiPete

Maybe Frisco has something similar, but this is not San Francisico!!

I am sowwy.

I jusy bin rummaging thru old hard copy pics.

Yer rite, my apologies.

Frisco is very different, too much travel dulls the memory.... hehehe

I have been to Seatle often, guess familiarity and alzheimers is creeping up on me.....LOL

Many chinatowns have very similar gateways.

Frisco is very different, too much travel dulls the memory.... hehehe

I have been to Seatle often, guess familiarity and alzheimers is creeping up on me.....LOL

Many chinatowns have very similar gateways.

No need to be sorry- that is what makes this game fun and interesting!

Got another guess?