Attidude On Samui

i can only as a tourist go on what i have read as i have not been to koh samui yet (21st September for 6 months)though i have looked up on a lot of sites for research,and all i am reading is how much more expensive it is than phuket and so on.

The last thing as a tourist is to hear that the rip off this and rip of that ,and not just on here on must website's and local and tourists a like, so some thing must be wrong on this island oh all these people cannot be wrong can they? as i do not work or live here i well be spending hard earned cash and the last thing i want to happen is to hear that i am going to be ripped off by taxi drivers,buying cloths,shopping and the cost of living is higher here so no wonder people think twice about coming or just a passing through.just been told on TripAdvisor that i will have to add 100-200baht for items here to what i have payed in phuket, to me that's an extra £2-£4 that's per item wow to that.anyway now we have a plan B if its all true which i am hoping its not as bad as it sounds.and i am sure i will let you all know what think after a have been there a couple of days.you guys have been a great help so BIG THIANKS

the minute you book your flight you will be ripped up until you get off the plane in BKK. i lived there 8 years, got out best thing ever, even my Thai wife said she had never been ripped of so much in her life. my neighbor of 3 years in Samui just moved up to East Pattaya, he cant beleive the VAST difference in pricing. you have read the evidence in independant write ups, qoute ALL I AM READING, not some but all!!!!!!! dont take much working out does it. most of my friends of 10 years ago are in patters, hua hin or phuket. as for all those who think pattaya is full of sex well that based on ignorance, sleaze in Lamai and Soi reggae is as much on par with pattaya. south pattaya and east pattaya blow away samui for infastucture, scenery, lack of rip offs, beachs (navy owned so pristine, no development) 30-40% of your hard earned income will go in rip offs and over pricing. live with it or dont go. ask a thai is it a rip culture there, yes even for them. taxis, stay well away from 100% except at the airport because of the scam you have to take a very over priced BKK airways taxi. charge the same to go to lamai is a taxi from east pattaya to the BKK airport. usual suspects will go on about island etc, well prices are same in all major supermarkets as the mainland, so whay is a beer in Samui 150% more expensive in a bar than mainland. it is a tropical island but the only place i have been to in thailand that has beaches without a beach road. you could be forgiven for thinking you were in a city on the mainland. every other place i have visited in Thailand have no development beach side of the road, Samui however have resorts that they built on beach land, that was not even there's. the beach side is rammed full of development from lamui to Nathon in both direction. however there are acouple of view points to get to see the ocean. mountain developments also an eye sore. tropical paradise island, not a chance. 15 years of living and visiting so know a little about the place.

as you say they cant all be wrong, mind you they have no vested interest in saying its a great place to go.

i have visited over 40 countries around the world, Samui is the only place where a cab advertised as taxi meter will not use metrer even though its a legal requirement.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of what's written above is true...but some is not.

Taxis in Phuket and Pattaya don't use the meter either.

Having no beach road is a plus point. Samui has far better shade on its beaches as a result of not having the trees chopped down. Major plus in my view.

Beers in normal bars are 60-70 Baht. Hardly 150% more expensive....maybe 50% more than Pattaya but same generally as Phuket and cheaper than Bangkok.

i can only as a tourist go on what i have read as i have not been to koh samui yet (21st September for 6 months)though i have looked up on a lot of sites for research,and all i am reading is how much more expensive it is than phuket and so on.

The last thing as a tourist is to hear that the rip off this and rip of that ,and not just on here on must website's and local and tourists a like, so some thing must be wrong on this island oh all these people cannot be wrong can they? as i do not work or live here i well be spending hard earned cash and the last thing i want to happen is to hear that i am going to be ripped off by taxi drivers,buying cloths,shopping and the cost of living is higher here so no wonder people think twice about coming or just a passing through.just been told on TripAdvisor that i will have to add 100-200baht for items here to what i have payed in phuket, to me that's an extra £2-£4 that's per item wow to that.anyway now we have a plan B if its all true which i am hoping its not as bad as it sounds.and i am sure i will let you all know what think after a have been there a couple of days.you guys have been a great help so BIG THIANKS

the minute you book your flight you will be ripped up until you get off the plane in BKK. i lived there 8 years, got out best thing ever, even my Thai wife said she had never been ripped of so much in her life. my neighbor of 3 years in Samui just moved up to East Pattaya, he cant beleive the VAST difference in pricing. you have read the evidence in independant write ups, qoute ALL I AM READING, not some but all!!!!!!! dont take much working out does it. most of my friends of 10 years ago are in patters, hua hin or phuket. as for all those who think pattaya is full of sex well that based on ignorance, sleaze in Lamai and Soi reggae is as much on par with pattaya. south pattaya and east pattaya blow away samui for infastucture, scenery, lack of rip offs, beachs (navy owned so pristine, no development) 30-40% of your hard earned income will go in rip offs and over pricing. live with it or dont go. ask a thai is it a rip culture there, yes even for them. taxis, stay well away from 100% except at the airport because of the scam you have to take a very over priced BKK airways taxi. charge the same to go to lamai is a taxi from east pattaya to the BKK airport. usual suspects will go on about island etc, well prices are same in all major supermarkets as the mainland, so whay is a beer in Samui 150% more expensive in a bar than mainland. it is a tropical island but the only place i have been to in thailand that has beaches without a beach road. you could be forgiven for thinking you were in a city on the mainland. every other place i have visited in Thailand have no development beach side of the road, Samui however have resorts that they built on beach land, that was not even there's. the beach side is rammed full of development from lamui to Nathon in both direction. however there are acouple of view points to get to see the ocean. mountain developments also an eye sore. tropical paradise island, not a chance. 15 years of living and visiting so know a little about the place.

as you say they cant all be wrong, mind you they have no vested interest in saying its a great place to go.

i have visited over 40 countries around the world, Samui is the only place where a cab advertised as taxi meter will not use metrer even though its a legal requirement.

You come on this forum and say the same old boring story over and over again, like a whining old woman. It really is tiresome.

You come on this forum and say the same old boring story over and over again, like a whining old woman. It really is tiresome.

well like i have said i we stay for a week to have a look around and if happy we will stay then if not we are going to koh tao anyway to dive for a week then we are going to vist chumphon yes i know its quiet but that for us not isn't a bad thing to.

so we do have a plan B.

:clap2:

Same old. Failed in Samui, but cannot move on

Having no beach road is a plus point. Samui has far better shade on its beaches as a result of not having the trees chopped down. Major plus in my view.

I was thinking the same, who wants a road next to the beach? Jet skis are bad enough.

It's a sign of western values when people see cost only in monetary terms. If one were to be injured or lose ones life, is there a monetary cost? If one lives far far from the beach yet loves the beach, is there a monetary cost? I would say yes. One thing I have learned over the last 12 years or so is that value (cost) is very subjective and attemps to see it objectively blinker ones view. For one person, the cost of living in Issan for example is more than they are willing to pay. For another, the cost of living on Samui is more that they are willing to pay. It could be argued that with enough money you wouldn't have to lose out on one aspect in order to gain another but one thing would still be missing, using your ingenuity and inventiveness to achieve that goal. I've travelled far and wide and consider Samui my Shangri-La but we all have our own.

Beers in normal bars are 60-70 Baht. Hardly 150% more expensive....maybe 50% more than Pattaya but same generally as Phuket and cheaper than Bangkok.

Pretty much spot on there smokie. Pattaya beachfront will always be a dump because thats what it is. However, i've been there in recent months and certain things are undeniable. It is much much cheaper ( the "but we are an island" aguement is rubbish btw) in Pattaya, the infastructure is light years ahead, they have operating law enforcement, and many more activities available to tourists. Yes the quality of beaches here is better than Pattaya but if i were a tourist i'd be disappointed at what i saw and wonder why there is so much rubbish strewn over samui beaches. ( I'd still prefer to live here as opposed to Pattaya but given the choice i'd avoid both. :D )

Pattaya looks a much more attractive proposition to tourists than it id before but a lot of that is down to samui being sold short. Its the same old problems that will never be sorted out.

150% mark-up for a beer, where have you been drinking NALAK.

Gecko bar? :whistling:

Normal price for a Chang is 60 baht, 70 for Tiger and Singha.

You can even get a Chang draft for 30 baht at happy hour.

I also have a house in northern Chiang Mai so I can compare the prices.

I shop at Tesco and Makro and the local market, same prices as Chiang Mai.

Highest cost is rent, I pay 7300 baht / month each for my two shop houses on Chaweng beach road (incl. key money).

My rip-offs: ;)

They charge me 9 baht for a shot of loa Khao at the market.

I know I can get it for 8 baht in Chiang mai.

My favourite Chiang mai restaurant have raised the price for Khao soy from 40 to 50 baht. :(

Edited by PoorSucker

Highest cost is rent, I pay 7300 baht / month each for my two shop houses on Chaweng beach road (incl. key money).

My favourite Chiang mai restaurant have raised the price for Khao soy from 40 to 50 baht. :(

I believe NALAK preferred Dreamgirls. wink.gif

Some shocking signs of inflation there PS....clearly a rip off.....you have my utmost sympathies! biggrin.gif

most of the 80s and 90s farangs are gone.

Some are still here, because they assimilated personally to the development or got wealthy or are stuck at this place or have lost the energy of their youth to look for another 80s Samui in the world.

+1 thumbsup.gif

I bought a bendy funnel with a filter for Bht 20, did I get ripped off?

I got divorced from my first wife , I don't keep harping about it. laugh.gif Get my drift?

you lot are funnycheesy.gif

what should i be paying for 6 months 1 bedroom bungalow? TV,hot water and so on?

most of the 80s and 90s farangs are gone.

Some are still here, because they assimilated personally to the development or got wealthy or are stuck at this place or have lost the energy of their youth to look for another 80s Samui in the world.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Agreed too, very astute observation.

can only go on my experience was always 90 baht a botlle, my friend who was on Samui for 9 years just left 3 weeks ago says soi regaee its now 100 baht a bottle, where as i buy same at 40 baht. i prefer a beach road palm and cocnut trees beach and sea as view whilst being on a beach road not hotel after hotel with a mixture of macdonalds starbuks etc. and of course access to beach through trees is easy, no hotels saying no acess to beach. taxi is 10 baht bus anywhere in patters 10 baht i live 12 miles out baht bus 30 baht. only taxis i use are to airport 800 baht including express way tolls. anyway there are some of you guys happy with th eplace so great, i agree only way to find out is to go

each to there own.

Edited by NALAK

nobody has a gun to your head saying you have to read it, somebody asked for there experience so i give. so go and have your nap if tiresome. and dont read problem solved

I believe NALAK preferred Dreamgirls. wink.gif

Some shocking signs of inflation there PS....clearly a rip off.....you have my utmost sympathies! biggrin.gif

well i was the manager there so with 50% discount for staff was cheaper :lol:

But but but, everything is falling into perspective now, not everyone goes , lives , drinks , breathe Chaweng. How in the world can you justify judging the whole island by one area.

You take offence by us judging Pattaya as all being like Walking street.

Samui does not start & finish @ Chaweng. There are still plenty of beach side coconut trees & small restaurants, bars, etc........... & guess what ? They are even open during the day laugh.gif just have to get out more & enjoy the sunshine, obviously a bit hard with the job you were performing.

You want to stay with the high fliers in a tourist area ( Chaweng) expect to spend like one, but please do not come on here preaching to all & sundry that the whole of Samui is as you describe it.

But but but, everything is falling into perspective now, not everyone goes , lives , drinks , breathe Chaweng. How in the world can you justify judging the whole island by one area.

You take offence by us judging Pattaya as all being like Walking street.

Samui does not start & finish @ Chaweng. There are still plenty of beach side coconut trees & small restaurants, bars, etc........... & guess what ? They are even open during the day laugh.gif just have to get out more & enjoy the sunshine, obviously a bit hard with the job you were performing.

You want to stay with the high fliers in a tourist area ( Chaweng) expect to spend like one, but please do not come on here preaching to all & sundry that the whole of Samui is as you describe it.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Well said Rooo. As you say, all is now clear.

Nalak was running a dodgy bar in a (small) red light district. From his perspective - Samui has a lot of problems.

For the those of us that live here and lead normal lives, it is still a great place to live. Yes there are things that we would like to change - but in the greater scheme of things - I would rather live here than anywhere else. (Yes - I have travelled extensively. Africa, Europe and North America and I have also lived in a number of countries in SE Asia as well as in Ausralia.)

Nalak - I hope that you find your paradise. I have found mine. It is in Samui for now. (BTW, I drink beer - large bottle - 31 baht! It used to be 28 baht - but .....)

Nalak was running a dodgy bar in a (small) red light district. From his perspective - Samui has a lot of problems.

For the those of us that live here and lead normal lives, it is still a great place to live. Yes there are things that we would like to change - but in the greater scheme of things - I would rather live here than anywhere else. (Yes - I have travelled extensively. Africa, Europe and North America and I have also lived in a number of countries in SE Asia as well as in Ausralia.)

Nalak - I hope that you find your paradise. I have found mine. It is in Samui for now. (BTW, I drink beer - large bottle - 31 baht! It used to be 28 baht - but .....)

where do you shop tropicalevo cause thats where i want to shop when i get there lol

Its a dump, charging way too much money for thirld world utilities. Its lawless, largely unfriendly, rip off taxis, extortianate air fares, filthy dirty and it smells. :o:unsure::D

Before anyone flames me, explain to me what aspect of my post isn't 100% correct?

Pretty much the same reasons that I left Puke-it after 5 years and gone back to Scotland, more or less! I even quit a good job as I couldn't take the sh$t anymore. And yet people on TV still defend it!

Its a dump, charging way too much money for thirld world utilities. Its lawless, largely unfriendly, rip off taxis, extortianate air fares, filthy dirty and it smells. :o:unsure::D

Before anyone flames me, explain to me what aspect of my post isn't 100% correct?

Pretty much the same reasons that I left Puke-it after 5 years and gone back to Scotland, more or less! I even quit a good job as I couldn't take the sh$t anymore. And yet people on TV still defend it!

I copied this response from another thread,I thought it was very apt to some of the comments made here.

Yet another one who applies western attitude. values, principles, expectations etc etc

YOUR IN THAILAND !!!!!! none of what you know exists ! you'll be asking why everyone seems to be talking a different language next.

where do you shop tropicalevo cause thats where i want to shop when i get there lol

When you get here look for cases of Archa beer. It is the low alcohol version brewed by the boys that make Chang. Only 5.4% I believe. 368 baht for a case of 12 large bottles sold in Makro, Big C and Tesco at that price. :partytime2:

It was brought out to take on Leo which is the cheaper, low alcohol version of Singha!

There is a still cheaper beer (Cheers) but most people who have some taste buds left steer clear of that one. B)

I copied this response from another thread,I thought it was very apt to some of the comments made here.

Yet another one who applies western attitude. values, principles, expectations etc etc

YOUR IN THAILAND !!!!!! none of what you know exists ! you'll be asking why everyone seems to be talking a different language next.

Yes, thats a good response to copy. Very relevent and i was thinking the other day just the same thing regarding my own misgivings.

I suppose the real question is ;"if you knew then before you moved here what you know now would you still have moved here?" My answer is unequivically no.

I say this purely and simply because the way it is is not for me. The island has been good to me and i'll try to cut it some slack.

I loathe the power cuts but i suppose thats part of living on a very expensive boutique island. :blink: That aside, i find the total lawlessness unacceptable, and thats enough for me to see no future here. Most of the other things that are wrong with Samui are from profiteering outside forces or lesser things that can be put right if the locals have the conviction to do it. Regardless of what posters like nalak say the island still stacks up quite well against the likes of Phuket and the resort towns. The beaches would, for example still be lovely if they were cleaned. Get a sewage system rather than pump the rew sewage in the seas so we could enjoy a morning swim. Police the roads and cut down the death toll on the roads. And finally, isn't it really about time that someone in government dealt with the "activities" of the immigration office? These problems don't sound that difficult to fix do they? Wrong, it would be easier to move move mountaind or get a scotsman to buy a round. :ermm::o

Edited by carmine

Yes, thats a good response to copy. Very relevent and i was thinking the other day just the same thing regarding my own misgivings.

I suppose the real question is ;"if you knew then before you moved here what you know now would you still have moved here?" My answer is unequivically no.

I say this purely and simply because the way it is is not for me. The island has been good to me and i'll try to cut it some slack.

I loathe the power cuts but i suppose thats part of living on a very expensive boutique island. :blink: That aside, i find the total lawlessness unacceptable, and thats enough for me to see no future here. Most of the other things that are wrong with Samui are from profiteering outside forces or lesser things that can be put right if the locals have the conviction to do it. Regardless of what posters like nalak say the island still stacks up quite well against the likes of Phuket and the resort towns. The beaches would, for example still be lovely if they were cleaned. Get a sewage system rather than pump the rew sewage in the seas so we could enjoy a morning swim. Police the roads and cut down the death toll on the roads. And finally, isn't it really about time that someone in government dealt with the "activities" of the immigration office? These problems don't sound that difficult to fix do they? Wrong, it would be easier to move move mountaind or get a scotsman to buy a round. :ermm::o

You have to ask just how happy the locals are on Samui. Lots of visitors spending money and plenty of skimming rather than real work. Just sit around all day....great.

Surely you're not expecting to see a cohesive long term strategy for the island? cheesy.gif

You'll be waiting a lot longer than that for a beer after your last comment too....Its your round for the foreseeable me old china.

Well done on becoming world no1 at the weekend...no doubt certain members will be along soon to congratulate your team's fine performance. emot-kiss.gif

When you get here look for cases of Archa beer. It is the low alcohol version brewed by the boys that make Chang. Only 5.4% I believe. 368 baht for a case of 12 large bottles sold in Makro, Big C and Tesco at that price. :partytime2:

It was brought out to take on Leo which is the cheaper, low alcohol version of Singha!

There is a still cheaper beer (Cheers) but most people who have some taste buds left steer clear of that one. B)

Leo 5%

Singha 5%

So it looks like its actually only a cheaper version of the same strength. I always thought it was bought out to combat chang???

Leo 5%

Singha 5%

So it looks like its actually only a cheaper version of the same strength. I always thought it was bought out to combat chang???

It sure is confusing. :huh:

Mind you, I remember when Chang first came out - independant tests showed that the alcohol level was usually more than 7% - up to 7.6% in some bottles.

The word on the street was that 6.4% was the minimum (and they wanted to avoid paying too much duty).

Back to the original post - there are some good points being made on this topic and some bitchy ones.

Look at it from the other perspective, I would rather be here than living in a country.......

That discriminates against the local population and old age

Where the official religion of the country cannot be advertised or celebrated in government schools because PC prats are worried about offending anyone

Where I cannot climb a ladder without 23 people helping me because of 'health and safety rules

Where there are cameras checking to see what I put in a garbage bin

Where a mosque was built - and then a 200 year old pub had to be knocked down because it offended the mosque attendees

Where the politicians are corrupt and steal money (oh - they do that here as well)

Where rioters, criminals and illegal immigrants are given more cash benifits than people who are trying to earn a living

Where people earn a living and then have to pay taxes to keep drug addicts in drugs

the list is endless.

Come on people - Samui is not perfect - but it iis pretty daammnn good. Get out more and smell the roses :whistling:

(sorry about the long rant - I will go back into my cage now and drink another Archa B)