Syrian President al-Assad addresses nation after weeks of protests

News_Editor

Syrian President al-Assad addresses nation after weeks of protests

2011-06-21 05:21:50 GMT+7 (ICT)

DAMASCUS, SYRIA (BNO NEWS) -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Monday addressed the citizens of Syria and said that the recent events in the country are a conspiracy against national unity.

"It doesn't require much analysis, based on what we heard from others and witnessed in the media, to prove that there is indeed a conspiracy," said Assad. "Every rumor you heard about the President, his family, and his work is absolutely groundless."

The Syrian leader also blamed the ongoing unrest on "vandals" at the service of "external political positions" which are attempting to interfere in the internal affairs of the Middle Eastern country but acknowledged that there are also concerned citizens demanding better services and livelihoods.

"We need to differentiate between those people, and others who were involved in destruction. The latter are a small group. It is true that they made an impact; they tried to manipulate others. They tried to manipulate the good majority of the Syrian people in order to achieve different purposes," added the president.

According to Assad, he has met with many representatives of the demonstrators and listened to their concerns. He vowed to introduce rightful demands but rejected the spreading of chaos, the breaking of laws, and harming of public interests.

"The delegations I met with were from all sectors of society and all religions as well," said Assad. "This is one of the duties of the state towards its citizens; where it should work tirelessly in order to meet those demands to the best of its capacities."

The Syrian president also announced that more than 64,400 people are wanted for various criminal cases, saying that many of them escaped custody at the beginning of the unrest and have been "instigating" citizens and kill armed forces service members.

"In terms of our security and stability, we have paid a heavy price. What happened was an unprecedented ordeal that overshadowed our country and led to a situation of distress, confusion, and frustration," added Assad. "This was due to riots, the killing of innocents, terrorizing the population, and sabotaging both public and private property."

The European Union deplored that the Syrian authorities did not respond to the calls to immediately stop the violence and engage in meaningful reforms. The EU labeled the current situation in Syria as a threat to internal and regional stability.

Despite the claims of the Syrian government, the EU, the United Nations and other international agencies have reported the killing of innocent protesters due to the violent crackdown on demonstration by security personnel.

"The EU calls for an independent, effective and transparent investigation as requested by the UN to hold those responsible for the violence to account;" said the EU in a statement. "The current crisis can only be settled through a political process:"

Human rights activists say more than 1,400 Syrians have been killed and thousands more have been detained since the unrest began in mid-March. Pro-democracy demonstrations have continued across the country, which has been ruled by the Baath Party since 1963. Protesters are demanding the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad, who took over from his father in 2000.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-21

Death toll up to 1400 and Turkey of all nations seems to be applying some moral leadership, albeit with motives problably less than white as the driven snow. If there is ever to be such thing as a moderate Islam prepared to live by universal human rights the time is now. We should be cheering Turkey to the rafters in my opinion. :clap2:

http://www.debka.com/article/21046/

debkafile reports war fever in and around Syria after Syrian President Bashar Assad's speech Monday, June 20, sparked riots by disappointed protesters in Damascus and Latakia. Our military sources checked reports from Cypriot aviation sources that Syria had closed its airspace to civilian traffic and found its skies were still open.

According to other sources, some Iranian, Turkish military helicopters are infiltrating northern Syria on reconnaissance missions. Arab sources report NATO is planning to fly extra troops from Spanish and Germany bases to the Izmir Air base in western Turkey to expand the current number of 400. Damascus accuses Turkey of seeking to seize Syrian territory on the pretext of providing a buffer zone for Syrian refugees.

So according to Assad is it Israel who is shooting Syrians?whistling.gif

or

Is it Israelli and American military who are protesting on the streets?ph34r.gif

Experts say Syrian president is 'delusional, helpless'

Tabler, the co-founder and former editor-in-chief of Syria Today, the first private-sector English language magazine in the country, said that Assad’s contention that foreign “conspirators” and “saboteurs” were bringing chaos to Syria “is an old thing for Assad; not just during this crisis, but throughout his presidency.”

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=225868

So according to Assad is it Israel who is shooting Syrians?whistling.gif

or

Is it Israelli and American military who are protesting on the streets?ph34r.gif

Experts say Syrian president is 'delusional, helpless'

Tabler, the co-founder and former editor-in-chief of Syria Today, the first private-sector English language magazine in the country, said that Assad’s contention that foreign “conspirators” and “saboteurs” were bringing chaos to Syria “is an old thing for Assad; not just during this crisis, but throughout his presidency.”

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=225868

Hmmm, It's never the best sign for a murderous despot when they're hitting your picture with shoes. :) As for the delusional bit, well aren't they all?

Here is John Bolton's analysis which I agree with unlike that of the current encumbents at the white house.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2011/06/text-john-r-bolton-remarks-before-committee-on-foreign-affairs-united-states-house-of-representative.html#more

In the United States, many observers have asked why the Obama Administration was prepared to intervene in Libya under the “responsibility to protect” doctrine, but not in Syria. Some believe that the Obama Administration still clings to the badly mistaken idea that Assad really is a reformer and may yet be persuade to moderate his regime’s behavior. That may be one part of the Administration’s thinking, but I believe it also believes, correctly, that using force against the Assad regime may well be tantamount to using force against Iran, which could well generate an even wider conflict. Whatever the rationale, U.S. military or NATO intervention in Syria seems unlikely. Indeed, our incoherent and ineffective policies in Libya have created an unusual coalition here in Congress even against removing Muammar Qaddafi from power.

I would think Turkey are pissed off with the influx of refugees, even more so if they happen to be Kurds. It may not be beyond the realm of possibility that if the refugees keep poring in that Turkey decides to take over a small part of Syria to protect them in their own country.

An intervention in Syria might bring the wrath of Iran and lead to a wider confrontation. Turkey, being a neighbor of Iran and Syria, might object, since they might be left with a huge mess of problems.

I don't know if that is the case, but Ms. Clinton said there were a number of reasons for not intervening in Syria. She sited political reasons for one, but did not elaborate.

Libya, on the other hand, was pretty isolated.

If NATO wasn't involved in Libya already, then intervention in Syria might be a more realistic option.

This is conjecture on my part and based on limited information, but a significant amount of time spent in Syria, Turkey and a small amount in Iran.

Didn't the Arab League ask for intervention in Libya?

Whereas no request has been made with regards to Syria. Also with China and Russia being much closer politically with Syria, the odds on getting a UN mandate is next to nothing, especially as they won't even agree on a statement condemning the actions of Assad and his cronies.

Of course you've got the nut cases in Iran to consider too ph34r.gif

If NATO wasn't involved in Libya already, then intervention in Syria might be a more realistic option.

Call me cynical, but I often supect that is why Obama rushed into yet another war - to avoid havng to take on someone who could fight back. I certainly can not think of any other logical reason. :blink:

Well I am a lot less cynical than you and a lot less anti-Obama too. Libya happened first.

Even if it hadn't happened (and by the way it's a NATO operation). Turkey-Iran-Syria is a lot more complicated situation. There are friends and neighbors in the mix.

Gaddahfi was pretty well isolated. Tunisia and Egypt had already had their moment with a level of resolution. Libya's citizens, at a minimum, had the moral support of their neighbors. The Arab world was also calling for action. I don't know if that is the case in Syria.

Yes, UG, you've made that abundantly clear. I still like him, but like most leaders who start on a high, the only direction to go is down.

But back to this topic. Another dynamic is that in Northern Africa you had Arab-Arab people. In the other you have Turkish-Arab-Persia. A very different dynamic.

I am sure if any of the neighbors want to take on the cause of the Syrian people, they will have a large cheerleading squad and as much back door assistance as they want.

I am not an expert on the area. My thoughts are merely conjecture and scenarios.

Free condoms, free abortions, free tube tying operation for any adult who chooses.

The region has been overpopulated by one species for centuries.

It you put 1,000 baboons in a finite space with a bit of food, guess what might happen.

Free condoms, free abortions, free tube tying operation for any adult who chooses.

The region has been overpopulated by one species for centuries.

It you put 1,000 baboons in a finite space with a bit of food, guess what might happen.

I suspect the baboons might initially fight for territory and the losers would then retreat to another area, that's unless they had religion of course. Syria incidentally is another manufactured 'Country' which is really a few tribal groupings. The minority Alawites rule at the moment with a rod of iron, if they were deposed the majority Sunni would in turn slaughter them as they are viewed as apostates. Incidentally Israel can't afford to give back Golan to the Alawites because if deposed any peace treaty would be voided and missiles would rain down on Northern Israel from the Golan heights.