Marriage Certificates

Hello all,

Would just like to know what documents are required to obtain a marriage certificate.

I will be getting married in Surat Thani in October. Have heard that it is easier to get the paperwork done in Bangkok as they are more geared up to processing Farang certificates !!

As a U.K national on a double entry visa, what docs should I prepare whilst I am back in U.K ??

Thanks in advance,

You will need to go to the British Embassy in Bangkok, get an "affirmation to marry", if you have been married before you will need proof the previous marriage has been annulled.

When you have the affirmation you take that and get it translated into Thai, take it to Ministry of Foreign affairs in Bangkok and register it. Once done you can then go to any Amphur and get married.

The marriage is very simple paperwork, no ceremony, just sign the papers and its done. Then you can repent at leisure and realise just how much your balls ruled your brain.....lol

Docs: Passport and valid visa, Affirmation to Marry + Translation and registered/legalised with MFA (Ministry of Foriegn Affairs)

Dont sweat over the affirmation its just fillling in a form, submit and pay extortionate fee one day collect the next.

You should be able to get it all done in 3 days in Bangkok.You cannot do it elsewhere (to my knowledge)

Good luck !

Edited by CharlieH

" You should be able to get it all done in 3 days in Bangkok. "

That is the normal waiting time at the MFA, however, if you pay double at the MFA, 200 Baht a page, then it can be done on the same day.

Go to Embassy in the early A.M.

Get you paper work translated. (about 1 hour)

Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, turn your papers in, pay your fee 200 Baht a page (wait the normal 3 days) or pay 400 Baht and with-in 2 more hours you get your papers stamped.

Then either get married in Bangkok, or go to your local Amphur and signed and you are married. Have a big Party for the Family.

" You should be able to get it all done in 3 days in Bangkok. "

That is the normal waiting time at the MFA, however, if you pay double at the MFA, 200 Baht a page, then it can be done on the same day.

Go to Embassy in the early A.M.

Get you paper work translated. (about 1 hour)

Go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, turn your papers in, pay your fee 200 Baht a page (wait the normal 3 days) or pay 400 Baht and with-in 2 more hours you get your papers stamped.

Then either get married in Bangkok, or go to your local Amphur and signed and you are married. Have a big Party for the Family.

you give the Affirmation in at the Embassy in the morning, it can be collected in the afternoon (cost 2340baht/2860baht).

You can only get the affirmation certified at the Embassy and not in the UK, also you must use the MFA in Bangkok

Edited by beano2274

I did all mine in Chiang Mai very easily

Not really like Bangkok and try to keep away from it. :whistling:

My question is more are you having a true marraige or a Thai marraige ? One you do the the paper the other you do not

Am very sure that you have to use the MFA in Bangkok only.

I did all mine in Chiang Mai very easily

Not really like Bangkok and try to keep away from it. :whistling:

My question is more are you having a true marraige or a Thai marraige ? One you do the the paper the other you do not

Yeah and one is legal and the other doesnt mean squat !

you give the Affirmation in at the Embassy in the morning, it can be collected in the afternoon (cost 2340baht/2860baht).

I was not aware of the lapse of time at the British Embassy, I did all mine the same day. the only difference is I am an American and I used my Embassy... 7:30 A.M. did the Affidavit, cost 1,550 Baht, Translation cost 400 Baht, went to the MFA arrived at 10:00 A.M. paid my 400 Baht. and was on my way finished at 2:00 P.M. Sorry for the confusion and the cost at your Embassy.