Retirement Visa

I was at the American Embassy yesterday getting an Income Statement (which cost 1550 baht now) :annoyed: . And the officer told me that immigrations wants to see a bank statement to verify the income statement. Does anyone know more about this is it only in Bangkok, I go to Nakhon Pathom for years and never been asked. If they are asking what are they looking for. Just want to be up to date when I go for my extension next month.

Thanks.

I did mine on Monday (in Pattaya)and attached bank statements to British embassy letter (2,340 baht!) nobody looked at them but they just want to check that you do have an income.

Edited by CGW

Thai bank statements or home country, etc. statements acceptable? Import into Thailand and full claimed income required or not? If so, how many months back to show? Still gray areas, though some wish to deny this.

Of course, the larger gray area is whether what the US embassy is telling people is true, whether it only will apply to Bangkok, or is this the start of a new national enforcement policy being transitioned in in the usual sloppy, ambiguous way.

Edited by Jingthing

I've asked this before, but, never got a satisfactory answer.

Has anyone gone to immigration with just bank statements, and/or other proofs of income, but WITHOUT the expensive embassy letter?

If so, what was the outcome?

Penkoprod

If 800k in account the required time and a letter from bank that is an option. But if using foreign pension you must have Embassy letter. They have set Embassy letter as requirement for using the 65k method. Have never seen a report of them accepting something else if using the 65k method but likely there are exceptions as with most things. To avoid paying Embassy do not believe an exception would be made.

...If they are asking what are they looking for...

Any document showing that your are earning income. These documents obviously depend on the type of your income. Pension: letter from your pension fund. Rental income: statement from your estate agent or rental contract. Interest/dividends: statement from your bank/broker. Salary: letter from your employer (if income in Thailand: tax documents). Etc.

I've asked this before, but, never got a satisfactory answer.

Has anyone gone to immigration with just bank statements, and/or other proofs of income, but WITHOUT the expensive embassy letter?

If so, what was the outcome?

Penkoprod

Yes, a friend of mine went to Chiang Mai Immigration office with all his bank statements, investment portfolio statements, year-end pension statements, etc. It was a big, thick file folder. He was promptly told to go to the American consulate to get an income letter.