Scottish Bars/Pubs

Hello. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I'm over in Thailand for my 7th year and DJing at various clubs and parties but I was hoping some people could point me in the direction of some Scottish based pubs or bars in Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket?I've been to Nessies in Pattaya before but it closed down a few years back and was never reopened elsewhere as far as I'm aware.Thanks for any info!

You might do better with this in one of the community forums. Try posting in whatever city you are in now...say...Bangkok forum. And then try the others later. If you want, I can move this post there for you.

Thanks for the reply. If you could move it to the correct forums that would be great. I'm in Bangkok at the moment but would ideally like to know of any Scottish bars in Pattaya & Phuket.

Cheers.

There was a horrendous place on Sukhumvit Road, but now moved onto Soi 22 or so, which reminded me why I don't live in Scotland.

I don't think I need regale you all again with my visit report.

JBs in Shi Da Road Taipei used to have Belhaven Stout, but nobody else was drinking it... I got Deuchars IPA in Hart Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, last time I was there, and I believe I had draft Newcastle Brown (I suppose its not Scottish Brewers now anyway, so who cares?) a few months back in KL, though now it is now all small bottles...

SC

EDIT: Italics additional info added for clarity

Edited by StreetCowboy

Posted Today, 08:33

There was a horrendous place on Sukhumvit Road, but now moved onto Soi 22 or so, which reminded me why I don't live in Scotland.

...ach...hoots mon it wisnae that bad... :lol:

Used to know the owner when he had the wee hole in the wall and always good furra wag but that was at least 5+ years ago.

As you said he moved round to S-22 near "cowboys" old gin joint but had a quick check on last visit and the place seems to have "hit the deck"..gone..so......MPI.......

actually that was same night I looked into the Texas in Washington Sq for the last time.last beer and...last post .....time moves on.... :(

I'm a bit confused as to what a Scottish pub might be. To me its any bar with two or more Scots drinking there but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Do we need traditional folk music Tartan Special and cans of McEwans polluting the place?

A few bottles of Tiger in the right company suffices for me.....although a tartan beer mat always brings a smile.

• Like 1

Hi,, theres also Scotts Bar, can't miss it,, but in a more quiet location up close to Siam Country Club,, the owners wife also does a delicious Scotch Broth,, our family took in the hogmany there last year,,,,,,,,,,

I'm a bit confused as to what a Scottish pub might be. To me its any bar with two or more Scots drinking there but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Do we need traditional folk music Tartan Special and cans of McEwans polluting the place?

A few bottles of Tiger in the right company suffices for me.....although a tartan beer mat always brings a smile.

The Bull and Bear in Central, HK, used to have a mechanical Auld Jakey; I'm not sure I ever saw him in action, but when he was not in active service, he was still slumped stationary at the bar; apparently, when switched on (so to speak) he would move sporadically and make noises that sounded like "Haway, ya hunrdmbnber...". I don't know for sure as I was rarely that side of the water in those days.

I saw a video arcade game - one of these football games, but in this instance it was showing an Old Firm match, instead.

SC

The Bull and Bear in Central, HK, used to have a mechanical Auld Jakey; I'm not sure I ever saw him in action, but when he was not in active service, he was still slumped stationary at the bar; apparently, when switched on (so to speak) he would move sporadically and make noises that sounded like "Haway, ya hunrdmbnber...". I don't know for sure as I was rarely that side of the water in those days.

I saw a video arcade game - one of these football games, but in this instance it was showing an Old Firm match, instead.

SC

To walk in a bar at lunchtime and smell the pies warming in the oven behind the bar....at least 20 different malts to choose from and the sevens on the TV.

Can't even find that any more in Scotland...al;though the combined smell of 40 Regal king size seems to be repliceted occassionally in Bangkok I notice.

I like to see stovies on the menu or even haggis. I'd never order it myself but its amusing watching the tourists expressions as my black pudding roll arrives...heaven.

Pass me another Bitter and Twisted......smile.gif

Though I doubt it was uniquely Scottish, I would expect any pub with Scottish aspirations would have an open Saloon Bar and a Lounge Bar with stained-glass windows between the bar and the lounge, with gaps for the drinks to be passed through, so that ladies might not be seen in the public house.

That puts me in mind of the lunchtime start of the crawl following the end of my exams, starting in Leslies, I believe it was called, near Ronnies, the demon barber of Ratcliffe Terrace, supplier of flat-tops and other limited hair styles.

Anyway, it was 12.15 and we were sat in the saloon bar supping pints of heavy and watching the rays of sunlight coming through the high windows and catching the dust. I don't recall how it ended.

SC

Though I doubt it was uniquely Scottish, I would expect any pub with Scottish aspirations would have an open Saloon Bar and a Lounge Bar with stained-glass windows between the bar and the lounge, with gaps for the drinks to be passed through, so that ladies might not be seen in the public house.

That puts me in mind of the lunchtime start of the crawl following the end of my exams, starting in Leslies, I believe it was called, near Ronnies, the demon barber of Ratcliffe Terrace, supplier of flat-tops and other limited hair styles.

Anyway, it was 12.15 and we were sat in the saloon bar supping pints of heavy and watching the rays of sunlight coming through the high windows and catching the dust. I don't recall how it ended.

SC

Thrash metal band under the Cowgate is a flash memory for me but I can't swear on it. The barmaid at Maggie Dickson's as well...the Kiwi one.....most people knew her I suspect.

Posted Today, 08:33

...ach...hoots mon it wisnae that bad... :lol:

Used to know the owner when he had the wee hole in the wall and always good furra wag but that was at least 5+ years ago.

As you said he moved round to S-22 near "cowboys" old gin joint but had a quick check on last visit and the place seems to have "hit the deck"..gone..so......MPI.......

actually that was same night I looked into the Texas in Washington Sq for the last time.last beer and...last post .....time moves on.... :(

Ray and Nok, the owners of 22 Bar as it was known have now retired and it is closed. I think they are doing a little travelling before settling down again.

It was the best pub in Bangkok when it was on the main Sukhumvit Road.

I was in The Sportsman in Singapore the other night as it goes. At the back of Far East Plaza opposite HQ (Four Floors) if you're looking for it.

If my memory serves me right, in my younger days the Sportsman was in the back left hand corner of the first floor of the four floors; I remember thinking it would be a suitable place to watch the rugby, though I never got round to it, for whatever reason.

Is there not a Scottish-named pub on the lower ground floor of an arcade of shops up towards Tanglin? a dingy looking sort of place that I was never tempted to darken with my presence.

SC

• 10 months later...

Hi,, theres also Scotts Bar, can't miss it,, but in a more quiet location up close to Siam Country Club,, the owners wife also does a delicious Scotch Broth,, our family took in the hogmany there last year,,,,,,,,,,

Isn't it called the Scots Corner? Freddie is an Aberdonian who actually supports Manchester United. When he has a few too much, he can be quite loud and argumentative, but his bark is worse than his bite. Agreed about his wife's soup, very tasty

One thing? Is it still open? Been a few times recently and it was either closed early or not open at all

Edited by prefabs

As a proud member of the Scottish diaspora, I have been around the world a few times and to be honest, there's a Scottish bar 'theme'? There's English pub themes and Irish bar themes but Jockinese? The only one in Pattaya I tried was years ago over on Theprasit Soi 10 (I think). Came in with my English mate and there was one dour looking farang hunched at front of bar (owner?) and four girls watching Thai soaps on the telly. The 'owner' said nothing and the girls changed the channel to some football game and went and sat at the back and checked each other for plooks and lice. Overwhelmed by the atmosphere, we checked the bin and as we left, the TV went back on Thai soap and the 'owner' was gazing wistfuly somewhere up the street.

The only other one I discovered was in Houston and it was inside a former bank with the snug bar inside what was the old vault; this was all detailed on their website. My and my buddy reckoned we needed to check it out on St Andrews Day and guess what? It was CLOSED!

Edited by NanLaew

I tend to avoid our Northern neighbours drinking establishments when I learnt that a few years back readers of the Glasgow Herald voted The Krankies and Russ Abbot's character C. U. Jimmy as "The Most Scottish People In The World" biggrin.png

Edited by mca