Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

Nationwide ban on alcohol this weekend

phuket-1-10562YUIkLKuOWAPrnPCFeDFChengcM.jpg

Phuket's tourist-popular Soi Bangla in Patong will be

dry Saturday night through Sunday – maybe.

PHUKET: -- The sale of alcohol will be banned throughout Phuket this weekend ahead of the polls opening for the absentee and early voting on Sunday, Phuket Police Commander Pekad Tantipong has confirmed to the Phuket Gazette.

“The sale of alcohol will be prohibited from 6pm on June 25 [saturday night] through to midnight on June 26 [sunday night],” Maj Gen Pekad said.

“We will have police teams checking whether shops adhere to the ban,” he added.

The ban is nationwide as people across the country who cannot travel home for the July 3 election cast their ballots early.

Patong Police Superintendent Arayapan Pukbuakao explained that the ban would be very similar to what is planned for the July 3 election day, the only difference being that candidates will still be allowed to campaign during early voting.

“All bars in Patong can stay open and sell food, but there must be no alcohol sales at all,” he added.

In Phuket Constituency 1, which comprises all of Muang District except for Rassada and Koh Kaew subdistricts, 1,008 people have registered for advance voting, which will take place at Phuket City Hall on Narisorn Rd in Phuket Town on June 26.

In Phuket Constituency 2, a total of 669 people have registered for advance voting that will take place at Phranangsang School in Thalang on the same day.

There are 110,135 eligible voters in Phuket Constituency 1 and 113,986 eligible voters in Phuket Constituency 2, according to the election commission.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-06-24

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

What are you talking about? Paying to enter a temple... never heard of it.

Let me see if my math is still good. 4 the sake of 1677 advanced poll registries there are 244,444 Thai people that can't get a drink plus all the tourist and the other people that will not return home to vote. Sounds good to me.:blink: My wife owns a corner shop.:lol:

Edited by swifty5x5

No problem, just stock up at home. Or visit friend's home. Mai pen rai ... B)

Easy for expats but a real pain for tourists.

Why don't they just ban the sale of alcohol to Thai people in certain tourist zones at times like this. The girlie bars would do well selling a shot of Sprite or Coke for 150 baht as they can't sell alcoholic lady drinks!

Seems like this is only confirmed for Phucket

Nah, it's all over the place. Sister inlaws eating place in Saraburi has had a visit from the BIB and handed out a pamphlet saying that there will be problems if she sells alcohol. Even if somone takes their own grog with them, there will be problems.

No problem, just stock up at home. Or visit friend's home. Mai pen rai ... B)

Easy for expats but a real pain for tourists.

Why don't they just ban the sale of alcohol to Thai people in certain tourist zones at times like this. The girlie bars would do well selling a shot of Sprite or Coke for 150 baht as they can't sell alcoholic lady drinks!

Why don't they just leave it up to the good judgement of the individual?

Oh... wait a minute... ok...

I still fail to equate the imbibing of a few drinks with the ability to vote...

Another step in the removal of the Thai people's civil liberties.

Thailand will be like Saudi if this silliness continues.

Agreed. Same as the legal enforcement of non-drinking sales on Buddhist holy days, if one is not Buddhist, why should one be forced to comply to Buddhist traditions?

The likelihood they will forget which politicians paid them for their vote.

Of course, true to Thai logic: given the facility to buy alcohol the night before and spend all weekend drinking at home . . . need I say more?

Edited by JohnAllan

Are you joking? never been Wat Pho.

Are you joking? never been Wat Pho.

Wat Pho was 20 Baht I think

Wat Phra Kaew was 400 I think. It is the one place where my Thai DL didn't get me a discount that I went anyways.

YOU don't have to equate it.

As a Farang you just have to ACCEPT it.

Next.

Edited by cardholder

Next.

You have to accept it in many places around the globe too!

I'm having a midday party at the bar next week from 12 - 6 hopefully everyone will be walking the streets happy with a belly full of alcohol at 6pmph34r.gif

You mean tomorrow, AND next week right?

Next.

You have to accept it in many places around the globe too!

Sure accept but being anywhere but tourist areas, hardly a problem, as one can and is, normally at home free to drink his head off if he chooses to.

Problem being international resort areas, trying to encourage tourists it then becomes a joke (because of a very minute section that will be voting)

This is also LOW season and the country is trying to get back to something like normal.....With Tourism Authority Thailand crying it's head off because of lack of western visitors.

It is time that common sense played a part in all of this never ending FIASCO.....Please leave your tourist areas alone. ( I know some will be quick to knife me, and say ""you wont die if you cannot have a drink for 2 days) ....:lol: I hardly drink alcohol but I think on holiday this day and age let them down a few. BUT the robberies will be less, enjoy your whiskey in your coffee cup at the bar :lol:

Nah, it's all over the place. Sister inlaws eating place in Saraburi has had a visit from the BIB and handed out a pamphlet saying that there will be problems if she sells alcohol.

what about the piss head farangs in LOS .

IS THERE A SHELF HELP, GROUP?.

:jap:

Sure accept but being anywhere but tourist areas, hardly a problem, as one can and is, normally at home free to drink his head off if he chooses to.

I agree.

The irony is that (I imagine) the law is designed to stop the Thais getting drunk and kicking the sh1t out of each other at election time.

Because it is all embracing it works against anyone operating in tourist sector - or even supplying drink to 'responsible customer'.

Tomorrow night I can sell food but I have to refuse a request for a glass of wine or a beer to accompany that meal !

We will close at 6pm - it is not worth the potential hassle of declining drink orders.

I better get to Lotus! drunk.gif Or it'll be a boring weekend lol

Do you get bored when not drinking fermented sugars? Too bad for you.

I go outside to appreciate nature. You might try it - to alleviate boredom. No mind altering drugs needed.

Plus, if you quit drugs, then perhaps your body will be better able to create its own natural drug.

I think that most all countries in the world, that allow alcohol consumption, have laws restricting when and where it can be sold and consumed.

I think that most all countries in the world, that allow alcohol consumption, have laws restricting when and where it can be sold and consumed.

Rarely for 30+ hours at a time.

Kind of getting nit picky here aren't you in terms of counting hours? You are totaling hours (in your 30-hour claim) that regardless of the day, you can't buy alcohol and/or bars are not legally open. The actual affected hours are less than 24 hours.

I can only speak for the US but there are numerous places in the US where you cannot buy alcohol on Sunday and even some places you cannot buy it at all as well as states that ban the sale of alcohol during elections.

Point is sales of alcohol are controlled in most every country in terms of who, when, where and how alcohol is sold. These are the laws in Thailand but as we know laws are easy to get around in Thailand and even if somebody, who can't go without alcohol for this period, doesn't have awareness of the law or doesn't prepare before this time ... it is still pretty easy to buy at the small convenient stores.

The other point was that Alcohol sales has nothing to do with civil liberties unless you also want to say that having laws or bans on marijuana and heroin sales are too. Civil Liberties have nothing to do with the rights to consume drugs or intoxicating substances. This would fall under the right to get f----ed up liberty. wink.gif

Edited by Nisa

Kind of getting nit picky here aren't you in terms of counting hours?

I can only speak for the US but here are numerous places in the US where you cannot buy alcohol on Sunday and even some places you cannot buy it at all as well as states that ban the sale of alcohol during elections. Not to mention you are totaling hours (in your 30-hour claim) that regardless of the day, you can't buy alcohol and/or bars are not legally open. The actual affected hours are less than 24 hours.

Point is sales of alcohol are controlled in most every country in terms of who, when, where and how alcohol is sold. These are the laws in Thailand but as we know laws are easy to get around in Thailand and even if somebody, who can't go without alcohol for this period, doesn't have awareness of the law or doesn't prepare before this time ... it is still pretty easy to buy at the small convenient stores.

The other point was that Alcohol sales has nothing to do with civil liberties unless you also want to say that having laws or bans on forbidding marijuana and heroin sales are too.

I would never use the US as my yard-stick !