Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

Spot on and a valid point. If you ran an open referendum and all the Thai peopled voted then I am sure a vast majority would say there should be no days or times of day, for either religious or political reasons, where you ban the sale of alcohol to adults. If you are religious then that is fine and we all respect your beliefs but then you just do not personally buy alcohol on religious days but you should NOT try to enforce your religious restrictions on others, many who do not follow your beliefs anyway or not to eh same extreme extent. Just think how much police time would be saved and made available for solving real crimes if you stopped pointless prohibition days and times. Prohibition never works anyway and only leads to corruption and crime.

The other really stupid law that urgently needs repealing is not being allowed to buy less than 10 Litres of alcoholic drinks between 14:00 and 17:00 hours or even before 11:00 in the morning. Why such a stupid illogical and restrictive law?? This is so so pointless and just crass ignorant. No this doesn't stop children under 18 buying alcohol either if that is what they are trying to do. There is already a perfectly sound law in force anyway about under 18s buying alcohol so that is what should be enforced not grossly inconveniencing ordinary adults from buying say their stocks of beer for the week at Tesco Lotus at 3:00 PM which may be for them a convenient time to shop. This has happened to me so often as I usually forget this pointless law or the time and then I have to make another trip to any one of the small shops nearby where they stick two fingers up at such idiotic laws.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRONG! As a simpering SAP you have to accept it, but people with their heads screwed on can easily find ways around most things in this country. NEXT!!

<br />
<br />I still fail to equate the imbibing of a few drinks with the ability to vote...<br /><br />Another step in the removal of the Thai people's civil liberties.<br /><br />Thailand will be like Saudi if this silliness continues.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br />YOU don't have to equate it.<br /><br />As a Farang you just have to ACCEPT it.<br /><br /><br />Next.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well there you go ...2 Saturday nights in a row in a prime tourist destination and you have to tell people who are booked there on holiday that they can't have a drink out on the town on their holidays!!!!

And they wonder why tourism numbers are down???

Now would be a good time to review this policy of alcohol bans at election time to determine whether it actually results in Thais electing better quality politicians than they would if they could go to the polls plastered. Tests under laboratory conditions could be organized. Comparisons should also be made between voters under the influence of various substances ranging from opium, marijuana, chlorform, barbiturates to cocaine, yaa baa etc with follow ups analysis on politicians' performance to see which substances produced the best politicians compared to voting while paralytic on booze and those voting without any chemical assistance. Whatever yields the best results should be made compulsory for elections and police should be at polling stations to conduct random tests to ensure voters have taken the prescribed dosage before casting their ballots.

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

I have been in many temples.

Are you just talking about one temple and trying to make it look like a nation wide event. I have been in Temples from Nonkong si Tamarret to Masai and never never had to pay one single Baht to do so.

Try to be a little bit more definite Name some of these 400 Baht temples. They might be worth a visit.

Maybe you drank a little to much whiskey. Why don't you invite over some fellow sufferer's?

The big tourist temples along the river in Bangkok charge and I think the main one is probably close to 400 baht --- especially if you include the fee to rent outfits to cover your shorts.

Thanks Nisa. so it is just a local phenomena to a certain area of Bangkok. Are the Thai's really let in for free?

Also are any of them worth paying to go into?

Definitely worth visiting and taking pictures. The below are all fairly close to each other and you can take the BTS to the river then jump on the ferry to get to them. Not far from China town too.

The Grand Palace that contains Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha)

Wat Pho (the Temple of the Reclining Buddha)

Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn)

I think entry into them is actually about 20 baht except for the grand palace which is probably about 200 baht and maybe another 200 baht if you are not dressed correctly and need to rent outer coverings. The other temples aren't picky about what you wear within reason.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa wrote:

The funny thing is that I doubt you will hear too many Thais complaining like this

Have you actually asked any?

I somehow doubt it, or you would find that they are far more p**sed off at having not just one weekend but two screwed up....but thank you for speaking up for the nation.....

I'm in the US right now but still talk to a number of Thais online. The 4 that I mentioned this too had no idea and thought it was only next weekend. However, they could care less and only 1 mentioned that he would be sure to tell one of our farang friends.

Edited by Nisa

No problem, just stock up at home. Or visit friend's home. Mai pen rai ... B)

Easy for expats but a real pain for tourists.

Why don't they just ban the sale of alcohol to Thai people in certain tourist zones at times like this. The girlie bars would do well selling a shot of Sprite or Coke for 150 baht as they can't sell alcoholic lady drinks!

I agreed with you. Should ban only for thai peoples. Tourists has nothing to do with voting.

Laws and rules apply to everyone in the country, not just Thais. As in every country.

From a number of posts here it would seem many foreigners are simply bitter that this country doesn't revolve around their needs .. in this case their need to go to bar this Saturday & Sunday and next. However, it is helping me to understand the negativity towards Thais and Thailand that is so often voiced here. It would appear many people are simply upset that they are not somebody who is valued to Thais at the level they believe they should be. And that their worth to Thailand is never going to be what they believe it should be.

Tourism is an important part of the Thai economy but Thailand would not collapse without it .. especially with just the loss of the expat community who are the main complainers. Thailand has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia and tourism makes up about 6% of the GDP but at the same time the economy grew by 8% in 2010.

Bottom line is that it is time for many to realize they are just not as important here as they think and that the majority of tourist dollars are not coming from expats here.

I better get to Lotus! drunk.gif Or it'll be a boring weekend lol

Do you get bored when not drinking fermented sugars? Too bad for you.

I go outside to appreciate nature. You might try it - to alleviate boredom. No mind altering drugs needed.

Plus, if you quit drugs, then perhaps your body will be better able to create its own natural drug.

I think that you are missing the point here somewhat, and by a fair margin.

I like a drink, but I rarely get drunk, I can quite easily not have a beer if I choose not to, I can quite easily not have a beer in certain places if there is a good reason for it.

Having some holier than thou prat in a uniform with a chest full of undeserved fruit salad telling me that I can't because he doesn't like it is not a good reason.

You are missing the point! You are a guest in this country and as such shall comply with whatever rules and laws are imposed here. If you cannot do that or really mean that Thailand shall make different rules to suit your ideas and thoughts, then you are in the wrong place. I suggest you relocate somewhere where the authorities can have understanding for your needs and make their rules accordingly. Here, you only show your complete lack of intelligence and understanding what this is about.

in this case their need to go to bar this Saturday & Sunday and next. However, it is helping me to understand the negativity towards Thais and Thailand

How do you get negativity towards Thailand from these posts?

Personally I find the removal of anyone's basic rights in ANY country is a vile thing.

Tourism is an important part of the Thai economy but Thailand would not collapse without it .. especially with just the loss of the expat community who are the main complainers
Bottom line is that it is time for many to realize they are just not as important here as they think and that the majority of tourist dollars are not coming from expats here

Oh dear! You really do like speaking on behalf of the entire nation don't you? I think if anyone is full of self-importance around here then its you...

:D

Yes - prohibition was never a great winner !

in the UK they consider that the population is mature/educated/rational enough to be able to vote (if they wish) and drink (if they wish) on the same day.

Sounds quite enlightened compared to the US and Thailand.

LOL! Yeah the UK is full of mature, educated and rational people! But back to the topic. Thailand is for Thais as I have been told by them on more than one occasion. So, get over it. It's their country and their laws.

And you think THAIS agree with this 'law' - a one-off, by the way, so not, in the case of this weekend, a 'law' that is on the statute books? In fact, I'm not sure that any of the alcohol on election day bans DO have any basis in law . . .

I go outside to appreciate nature. You might try it - to alleviate boredom. No mind altering drugs needed.

Plus, if you quit drugs, then perhaps your body will be better able to create its own natural drug.

I like a drink, but I rarely get drunk, I can quite easily not have a beer if I choose not to, I can quite easily not have a beer in certain places if there is a good reason for it.

Having some holier than thou prat in a uniform with a chest full of undeserved fruit salad telling me that I can't because he doesn't like it is not a good reason.

You are missing the point! You are a guest in this country and as such shall comply with whatever rules and laws are imposed here. If you cannot do that or really mean that Thailand shall make different rules to suit your ideas and thoughts, then you are in the wrong place. I suggest you relocate somewhere where the authorities can have understanding for your needs and make their rules accordingly. Here, you only show your complete lack of intelligence and understanding what this is about.

A very valid point. So please enlighten us . . . what is this about?

So what about the duty free shops in the international airports, these are accessible to both outbound and inbound passengers?

It's Nation wide prohibiting all sales I believe. Same as come election Eve, all those politicians winning thier seats in thier electorate and the winning party will not be having those celebration drinks (popping corks) at dinner. That would be hypicritical now wouldn't it? One prohibition for all one would think.

Personally I find the removal of anyone's basic rights in ANY country is a vile thing.

LMAO -- better get Amnesty International to take a look at this situation.

Who says it is your basic right to come to Thailand and go to a bar anytime you want regardless of the laws? Is it a violation of your rights when a bar is forced to close at 2am? How about no being able to buy heroin at the 711 is this too a violation of basic rights?

What is vile is being a guest in a country and making accusations that this country is violating basic rights because somebody cannot go to a bar whenever they want because the country, like just about all others, have laws dictating when, where and to whom alcohol can be sold.

Edited by Nisa

And you sound like a table banger that freaks out at the first sniff of a wine-gum.

If your obviously superior intellect can spare the time, please point out where I said I wouldn't comply with any laws or rules of this country.

I have absolutely no problem with adhering to any and all laws that exist where ever I happen to be, but I will always stand by my right, and everyone's right for that matter, that if I think something is wrong I should be able to say so without some moralistic bombastic cretin calling me dumb.

a 'law' that is on the statute books? In fact, I'm not sure that any of the alcohol on election day bans DO have any basis in law . . .

They don't John which kind of makes these buffoons telling us we should obey the 'law' look even more twattish.

It is a valid and enforceable law set forth by the Election Commission who (obviously) has the power to declare and have enforced such restriction during elections.

Anyone selling alcohol during this time faces up to six months in prison or a fine of up to B10,000, or both.

Edited by Nisa

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

I would imagine that most -if not all - bar workers, massage girls etc - couldn't give a toss about the elections. If they returned home they would likely receive the 500bt "vote for me" payoff, but the bus fare and loss of earnings would negate that.

Although I would disagree with your generalized perceptions, it is a moot point because Thais have a duty to vote.

Thais have a duty to do many things. Helmets on motorbikes, obey the speed limits, no drinking and driving to name just some. They don't care -they do what they want. Nationwide only around 65% vote at general elections considerably less at local elections. So much for duty!

You may want to recheck your facts. Last Thai General Election had 85% voter turnout. Compare this with the US at 57% and UK with 65%.

You mean that 85% of the electorate turned out? Or that the voting numbers suggested that?

No, it's not being bitter, it's a reaction to stupidity. If foreigners are not elligible to vote, why should they be stopped from buying alcohol?

It just doesn't make sense.

Why should we not be allowed to vote and yet not allowed to buy

<br />From a number of posts here it would seem many foreigners are simply bitter that this country doesn't revolve around their needs .. in this case their need to go to bar this Saturday & Sunday and next.  However, it is helping me to understand the negativity towards Thais and Thailand that is so often voiced here. It would appear many people are simply upset that they are not somebody who is valued to Thais at the level they believe they should be.  And that their worth to Thailand is never going to be what they believe it should be. <br /><br />Tourism is an important part of the Thai economy but Thailand would not collapse without it .. especially with just the loss of the expat community who are the main complainers.  Thailand has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia and tourism makes up about 6% of the GDP but at the same time the economy grew by 8% in 2010. <br /><br />Bottom line is that it is time for many to realize they are just not as important here as they think and that the majority of tourist dollars are not coming from expats here.   <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

LMAO -- better get Amnesty International to take a look at this situation.

Who says it is your basic right to come to Thailand and go to a bar anytime you want regardless of the laws? Is it a violation of your rights when a bar is forced to close at 2am? How about no being able to buy heroin at the 711 is this too a violation of basic rights?

What is vile is being a guest in a country and making accusations that this country is violating basic rights because somebody cannot go to a bar whenever they want because the country, like just about all others, have laws dictating when, where and to whom alcohol can be sold.

You appear, with each subsequent post, Nisa, to be missing the point by a wider and wider margin. The gist of the posts is that it is a totally irrational and illogical ban - not 'law' - and that its 'target market' is a fraction of that that is actually affected . . .

a 'law' that is on the statute books? In fact, I'm not sure that any of the alcohol on election day bans DO have any basis in law . . .

They don't John which kind of makes these buffoons telling us we should obey the 'law' look even more twattish.

It is a valid and enforceable law set forth by the Election Commission who (obviously) has the power to declare and have enforced such restriction during elections.

Anyone selling alcohol during this time faces up to six months in prison or a fine of up to B10,000, or both.

You elect politicians to enact laws. The EC has no power to do so . . . An EC, incidentally, which is currently absent 75% of officials who found it necessary to make an overseas trip to check on overseas voters; who are, no doubt, discussing the merits of the various parties - over a few whiskies.

Edited by JohnAllan

Because Thailand and its laws do not revolve around us. Not to mention one of the reasons for the law is to increase voter turnout and many staff cannot travel to their registered homes to vote if they have to work.

No, it's not being bitter, it's a reaction to stupidity. If foreigners are not elligible to vote, why should they be stopped from buying alcohol?

It just doesn't make sense.

Why should we not be allowed to vote and yet not allowed to buy

<br />From a number of posts here it would seem many foreigners are simply bitter that this country doesn't revolve around their needs .. in this case their need to go to bar this Saturday & Sunday and next. However, it is helping me to understand the negativity towards Thais and Thailand that is so often voiced here. It would appear many people are simply upset that they are not somebody who is valued to Thais at the level they believe they should be. And that their worth to Thailand is never going to be what they believe it should be. <br /><br />Tourism is an important part of the Thai economy but Thailand would not collapse without it .. especially with just the loss of the expat community who are the main complainers. Thailand has one of the fastest growing economies in Asia and tourism makes up about 6% of the GDP but at the same time the economy grew by 8% in 2010. <br /><br />Bottom line is that it is time for many to realize they are just not as important here as they think and that the majority of tourist dollars are not coming from expats here. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

You elect politicians to enact laws. The EC has no power to do so . . .

Obviously that is not the case here ... accept it.

The Thai Constitution grants the EC this authority.

You're not in Kansas anymore whistling.gif

Edited by Nisa

It's to protect Foreigners from buying a drink for pleading Thai People!

Spot on and a valid point. If you ran an open referendum and all the Thai peopled voted then I am sure a vast majority would say there should be no days or times of day, for either religious or political reasons, where you ban the sale of alcohol to adults. If you are religious then that is fine and we all respect your beliefs but then you just do not personally buy alcohol on religious days but you should NOT try to enforce your religious restrictions on others, many who do not follow your beliefs anyway or not to eh same extreme extent. Just think how much police time would be saved and made available for solving real crimes if you stopped pointless prohibition days and times. Prohibition never works anyway and only leads to corruption and crime.

The other really stupid law that urgently needs repealing is not being allowed to buy less than 10 Litres of alcoholic drinks between 14:00 and 17:00 hours or even before 11:00 in the morning. Why such a stupid illogical and restrictive law?? This is so so pointless and just crass ignorant. No this doesn't stop children under 18 buying alcohol either if that is what they are trying to do. There is already a perfectly sound law in force anyway about under 18s buying alcohol so that is what should be enforced not grossly inconveniencing ordinary adults from buying say their stocks of beer for the week at Tesco Lotus at 3:00 PM which may be for them a convenient time to shop. This has happened to me so often as I usually forget this pointless law or the time and then I have to make another trip to any one of the small shops nearby where they stick two fingers up at such idiotic laws.

" No this doesn't stop children under 18 buying alcohol either if that is what they are trying to do."

<-- Yeah so they are only allowed to sell alcohol during school lunchtime and after school :blink: -->

I was told it was to reduce drink driving.... Which is just as stupid, so Somchai can't buy a can of beer from 7-11 to enjoy at home, so he goes to a bar (possibly an unlicensed bar in a market) and gets hammered before driving home...

The Thai Constitution grants the EC this authority

Does it now?

Strictly speaking it isn't in the Constitution. However, the Constitution does directly refer [section 93 or 95 I think IIRC] to the organic law [The Thai equivalent of The Representation of the Peoples Act] under which elections to the House are held. Therefore such provisions do have constitutional force.

Regards

/edit format//

Edited by A_Traveller

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

Sorry but you are wrong :whistling:

You elect politicians to enact laws. The EC has no power to do so . . . An EC, incidentally, which is currently absent 75% of officials who found it necessary to make an overseas trip to check on overseas voters; who are, no doubt, discussing the merits of the various parties - over a few whiskies.

You are being unfair. It is clearly essential to supervise the voting of Thai citizens in Denmark and Iceland which is what they are doing.

When they come back they and their entourage of family and friends travelling at taxpayer expense will be greeted at Suvannaphum by a delegation of military and police officers to ensure they are whisked through formalities without any trouble from customs or excise for any brand name goods and jewellery they might have inadvertently purchased over the duty free limit of 10,000 baht.