Laundry - why so expensive?

Engman

I have Just moved to Thailand for about 6 months, staying Suhumvit rd, low mumbers. I have only been on holiday before, did not expect laundry to costs so much when every thing else seems cheap, and considering how cheep labour is. Cost is per item. Why not have Launrys as in Enland and put in wahing machine, could probably hang clothes damp in room to dry?

I have Just moved to Thailand for about 6 months, staying Suhumvit rd, low mumbers.  I have only been on holiday before, did not expect laundry to costs so much when every thing else seems cheap, and considering how cheep labour is.  Cost is per item.  Why not have Launrys as in Enland and put in wahing machine, could probably hang clothes damp in room to dry?

Don't know what you mean by expensive. If you do it in a hotel, certainly will be quite expensive. If done at a corner laundry service you can usually get monthly arrangements which will be cheaper. Something like 300 baht for x pieces. Probably some coin operated landramats somewhere in that area.

I personally find the prices very good compared to back home.

I have Just moved to Thailand for about 6 months, staying Suhumvit rd, low mumbers.  I have only been on holiday before, did not expect laundry to costs so much when every thing else seems cheap, and considering how cheep labour is.  Cost is per item.  Why not have Launrys as in Enland and put in wahing machine, could probably hang clothes damp in room to dry?

Agree.

Comparatively very expensive!

There are coin-op washing machines. Usually they are found in the budget apartment buildings, off the street, i.e. rent below 4,000 per month. The typical rates for a load are too low to justify renting a street-level shop. (I have seen at least one coin-op that is a stand-alone business on the street, but it was being used for other stuff too.)

If you can afford to pay a higher rent than that, you "should" be buying your own place, and if you can't, you're clearly crap at managing your finances and deserve to be ripped off. It's akin to the bizarre option in rented apartments of paying extra rent for a TV and fridge. It doesn't take a genius to see that a few month's rental is enough to buy those items... Most Thais above that budget buy their own washing machine, have a maid, or both.

BTW, most places have high rates per piece (e.g. 50 baht) but reasonable rates for paying for say 60 items in advance (e.g. 10 baht). You have to ask....

Why does this situation exist? I find that many Thais think of long-term rented apartments as hotel rooms with a special rate, rather than a place to call home. Thais don't often rent as a step between living with parent and buying their own place. Hence also the fact that, when you pay a higher rent, you tend to get - not a one-bedroom apartment, but a single larger room :o

If you upgrade to a condo, you are renting an individual unit from a private landlord. In that situation, it's normal to have a longer minimum lease and better standard of furniture, which may include your own washing machine (ooh, the luxury!). Don't need a 2 bedroom condo? Tough :D

There are coin-op washing machines. Usually they are found in the budget apartment buildings, off the street, i.e. rent below 4,000 per month. The typical rates for a load are too low to justify renting a street-level shop. (I have seen at least one coin-op that is a stand-alone business on the street, but it was being used for other stuff too.)

If you can afford to pay a higher rent than that, you "should" be buying your own place, and if you can't, you're clearly crap at managing your finances and deserve to be ripped off. It's akin to the bizarre option in rented apartments of paying extra rent for a TV and fridge. It doesn't take a genius to see that a few month's rental is enough to buy those items... Most Thais above that budget buy their own washing machine, have a maid, or both.

BTW, most places have high rates per piece (e.g. 50 baht) but reasonable rates for paying for say 60 items in advance (e.g. 10 baht). You have to ask....

Why does this situation exist? I find that many Thais think of long-term rented apartments as hotel rooms with a special rate, rather than a place to call home. Thais don't often rent as a step between living with parent and buying their own place. Hence also the fact that, when you pay a higher rent, you tend to get - not a one-bedroom apartment, but a single larger room  :o

If you upgrade to a condo, you are renting an individual unit from a private landlord. In that situation, it's normal to have a longer minimum lease and better standard of furniture, which may include your own washing machine (ooh, the luxury!). Don't need a 2 bedroom condo? Tough  :D

Just think what you could do with the 60K I pay for rent Jack. You could load up on rodent infested places city wide

Well I use the laundry on every visit because I find it so cheap! I even have everything done ready for packing so I dont have a mountain of washing when I get home, yes I have a washing machine but that does not do the ironing!

When I retire next year perhaps I should get my partner to open a coin operated laundry? Watch this space!!!

Do it yourself or go back to your mommy !

:o:D

BTW about washing machines, why are there so many twin tubs sold in Thailand?

Some of them have a huge capacity and are no cheaper then single tub washers.

Haven't seen these in Oz for years. Could it be something to do with the crap water pressure?

Cheers YBB

Laundries in Pattaya do T-shirts for 10B, shirts 12B. A big pack enough for near a month of wearing would be less than 300B.

One in Hua Hin was 8B for a t-shirt.

In my building in BKK, 500B for up to 60 pieces, whatever you bring (no bedsheets, towels...). That is less then 25c per shirt, of course ironingis included.

Nearby coin operated laundry is 20B for 6kg, powder and softener yours, 50 minutes run.

The coin-operated laundromats exist if you know where to look and certainly they exist in lower sukhumvit. There is one for instance at the mouth of Soi Cowboy on Soi 23. Ask around where you are located and you will find them.

Or go to a laundry service and arrange a monthly charge.

Just walk into a shop and discuss

My landlady's sister runs a laundry on the bottom floor of our building. I pay around 120 baht for a large, very full basket of clothes (washed, dried and ironed).

Last time, she kept "forgetting" to charge me. I had to nag her (I know, sounds unbelievable).

When I'm there for a longer period, she'll charge me something like 500 baht a month (regardless of the amount of laundry I put in). That works out in my favour quite nicely.

It's nice to be considered (almost) a part of the family !

Why does this situation exist? I find that many Thais think of long-term rented apartments as hotel rooms with a special rate, rather than a place to call home. Thais don't often rent as a step between living with parent and buying their own place. Hence also the fact that, when you pay a higher rent, you tend to get - not a one-bedroom apartment, but a single larger room  :o

If you upgrade to a condo, you are renting an individual unit from a private landlord. In that situation, it's normal to have a longer minimum lease and better standard of furniture, which may include your own washing machine (ooh, the luxury!). Don't need a 2 bedroom condo? Tough  :D

Just think what you could do with the 60K I pay for rent Jack. You could load up on rodent infested places city wide

Who's Jack? :D

Hey Monochaser, why are you living in a cramped 60k place instead of a nice spacious executive 300k place? That a bit much for you? Just think what you could do with that.

Yes, the per piece places are expensive. And no, I'd rather not have someone counting my every sock and underpant -- however you are more likely to get everything back if it's tallied on the receipt. It is certainly possible to find places that will do it by the kilo (seems to be the norm outside the touristy areas) and it's a lot cheaper. But you have to look around and it might not be conveniently located to your apartment. Look for signs that have "Kg" or "กก". If you're lucky you might even be able to find a place that has a dryer -- your cotton clothes will be fluffier and softer than air drying.

Well it's nice to see balanced individuals arriving on these shores....

In a previous post you advise you will be paying a BG to show you around.

In this post you tell us you are not happy about the cost of not not stinking.

Welcome to Thailand! another valued farang for the Kingdom to be thankful for!

Yeah, a laundry on the main road in central Hua hin charges 8 baht for a tshirt, and that's high compared to a full load on a side street. But I just got back from being a tourist in Mallorca, Spain. Almost four euros for a tshirt, which is 200 baht (more than I paid for the dress shirt). The walkin laundromat down the street in Mallorca was still 67 baht for a shirt.

In my compound in Hua Hin, I get unlimited service, including towels and sheets, for 500 baht per month. Location, location, location.

Buy yourself a big bucket, an iron with board, and a packet of soap powder you lazy ****. If you are not working, you have plenty of time. I did it for years - put the clothes in the bucket, fill with water and jump up and down in it - leave for a couple of hours and rinse. Hang it up on a clothes horse. If you want to save ironing, put the clothes on wet and they will soon dry outside as you are walking.

In my building in BKK, 500B for up to 60 pieces, whatever you bring (no bedsheets, towels...). That is less then 25c per shirt, of course ironingis included.

Hum.... i pay 700 THB per month for 60 pieces (excluded bedsheets). I'm going to ask for a discount !

:D

Good thing my laundry shop doesn't read this thread. :o

They provide UNLIMITED number of items for TWO people (normally I have no idea how many items we send, but for the month of August I counted as a typical month and ended up with 292 items). All items, including T-shirts and shorts are ironed. ... AND they pick it up from the house and deliver it to the house.

The staggering cost for such top notch service?... 800 baht per month. (For the OP's benefit, that's 11 British pounds and 7 pence (you guys still say pence, right?).

Expensive to have laundry done in Thailand??? Not on your life.

Anyone who claims that laundy service in Thailand is expensive is either nuts or simply clueless, (seubeu[/i. Apart from hotels and similar Farang ghettos, having your laundry not only washed but also ironed is a bargain. And why would anyone bother with a laundromat (no ironing even) when you can befriend your local sak oop riit family establishment. I wonder why such people even bother to live in the Kingdom?

Anyone who claims that laundy service in Thailand is expensive is either nuts or simply clueless, (seubeu[/i. Apart from hotels and similar Farang ghettos, having your laundry not only washed but also ironed is a bargain. And why would anyone bother with a laundromat (no ironing even) when you can befriend your local sak oop riit family establishment. I wonder why such people even bother to live in the Kingdom?

That's a pretty strong attack on a newcomer who was asking for advice. Did you get such a lovely welcome on arrival, Johpa? Ever consider that people might be entitled to have experiences different from yours?

I was under the impression that everything was far less expensive in Thailand as compared to the West. I will need to have about 20 shirts, 10 pairs of trousers & an assortment of underwear to be laundered (washed & pressed) each week. How much will it cost me?

I was under the impression that everything was far less expensive in Thailand as compared to the West. I will need to have about 20 shirts, 10 pairs of trousers & an assortment of underwear to be laundered (washed & pressed) each week. How much will it cost me?

In some of the 25 posts ahead of yours in this thread the costs in Bangkok, Pattaya and Hua Hin were reported. Can you use that as a starting point to do the mathematics?

In some of the 25 posts ahead of yours in this thread the costs in Bangkok, Pattaya and Hua Hin were reported. Can you use that as a starting point to do the mathematics?

That'd be too logical :o

"An assortment of underwear washed and PRESSED."

Would you like your undies starched too?

Starching your undies could be the first step in getting a hard-on.

I'm also wondering what "an assortment of underwear" means.

I don't think I want to know.