Laundry - why so expensive?

Engman

[i was under the impression that everything was far less expensive in Thailand as compared to the West. I will need to have about 20 shirts, 10 pairs of trousers & an assortment of underwear to be laundered (washed & pressed) each week. How much will it cost me?

I was trying to imagine why you would want to wear so many clothes in a week!!

are you a very sweaty boy? even so your maths is strange, as 7 does not divide into your figures, so will get confused by day three

As to the others questions on cost, farangs have to pay a lot more than Thais

a. Because they are larger and hence it is more work

b. because they are farangs

:o

In my building in BKK, 500B for up to 60 pieces, whatever you bring (no bedsheets, towels...). That is less then 25c per shirt, of course ironingis included.

Hum.... i pay 700 THB per month for 60 pieces (excluded bedsheets). I'm going to ask for a discount !

:D

Good thing my laundry shop doesn't read this thread. :o

They provide UNLIMITED number of items for TWO people (normally I have no idea how many items we send, but for the month of August I counted as a typical month and ended up with 292 items). All items, including T-shirts and shorts are ironed. ... AND they pick it up from the house and deliver it to the house.

The staggering cost for such top notch service?... 800 baht per month. (For the OP's benefit, that's 11 British pounds and 7 pence (you guys still say pence, right?).

Expensive to have laundry done in Thailand??? Not on your life.

[i was under the impression that everything was far less expensive in Thailand as compared to the West. I will need to have about 20 shirts, 10 pairs of trousers & an assortment of underwear to be laundered (washed & pressed) each week. How much will it cost me?

As to the others questions on cost, farangs have to pay a lot more than Thais

a. Because they are larger and hence it is more work

b. because they are farangs

Good thing your "b." does not reflect the post above it, as at an average cost of 2 baht 74 satang per item, I'm not sure how much lower a laundry shop could go and still provide the level of service as outlined.

Edited by sriracha john

I have Just moved to Thailand for about 6 months, staying Suhumvit rd, low mumbers.  I have only been on holiday before, did not expect laundry to costs so much when every thing else seems cheap, and considering how cheep labour is.  Cost is per item.  Why not have Launrys as in Enland and put in wahing machine, could probably hang clothes damp in room to dry?

Anyone who claims that laundy service in Thailand is expensive is either nuts or simply clueless, (seubeu[/i. Apart from hotels and similar Farang ghettos, having your laundry not only washed but also ironed is a bargain. And why would anyone bother with a laundromat (no ironing even) when you can befriend your local sak oop riit family establishment. I wonder why such people even bother to live in the Kingdom?

That's a pretty strong attack on a newcomer who was asking for advice. Did you get such a lovely welcome on arrival, Johpa? Ever consider that people might be entitled to have experiences different from yours?

Seconded Mac, the OP needs help ,not ridicule.

maybe he took them to the wrong place, when in april we were in bangkok soi 5 i think, anyway we did not put the laundry in the hotel 'bel air princess' because we know hotels to be a rip off, so we walk from the hotel down towards sukumvit and the laundry girls came to us and offered to take the laundry, as we fancied a drink and thought the prices would not vary that much fron laundry to laundry, no problem.

shock horror when we went to pick up the laundry 950bht so i ask what drugs are they on this should cost no more than 300bht, only then was i shown the sign 'DRY CLEANERS'.

now i've been to thailand umpteen times and i got caught because i did not open my eyes.

so for a newbie anything is possible.

My landlady's sister runs a laundry on the bottom floor of our building. I pay around 120 baht for a large, very full basket of clothes (washed, dried and ironed).

Last time, she kept "forgetting" to charge me. I had to nag her (I know, sounds unbelievable).

When I'm there for a longer period, she'll charge me something like 500 baht a month (regardless of the amount of laundry I put in). That works out in my favour quite nicely.

It's nice to be considered (almost) a part of the family !

I know what the OP is talking about , when i was in Phuket 10b per item , you are wearing 2 sets of clothers per day (hot and sweaty) , so you can see what i mean .

Not for me dude, I got a washing machine and a gf. :o

Me too.

Before the washing machine, we used to pay a flat rate of 900 per month for an unlimited amount of laundry (2 people, including linens and towels) to the laundry lady on our soi.

I thought this was a good enough deal, but the GF drove me nuts to buy the washing machine- figuring we would save money if she did it instead.

Still take my good shirts to the laundry lady for ironing- 6 baht each. She does a beautiful job, and saves my GF some time and effort.

I was trying to imagine why you would want to wear so many clothes in a week!!

The figures I provided were merely an approximation. But in such a climate it's reasoanble to expect that one would wear two shirts per day, one for work & one for relaxing. I would also want a clean pair of trouseres for work each day as I like them pressed with sharp creases. Then a couple of extra pairs per week for casual wear. Seems quite reasonable to me.

are you a very sweaty boy?  even so your maths is strange, as 7 does not divide into your figures, so will get confused by day three

Those are rather unkind comments to make to a new poster.

I get my stuff - 60 pieces/mo - collected, washed and most important, properly ironed and redelivered back to me - at the tune of 500 baht/mo. Bigger stuff like sheets, large beach towels etc, =3 pcs of clothing...

my socks and undergear either get done in my wash machine or get sloshed around in some bucket with a bit of soap powder added, rinced and put out to dry!

Laundry expensive in TH? me no thinx so :o

The cheapest way to wash clothing is to put it all in a hessian bag, secure the top of the bag with a piece of rope, take the bag to Pattaya Beach and throw it out as far as you can.

The boating activity in and around the bay will ensure that the water is churned up enough to gyrate your clothing within the bag thus washing it.

At low tide, retrieve the bag, untie the rope, cook whatever crabs your soiled undies may have attracted, and press your clothing by spreading them out on the footpath and beating them with a house brick.

It works for me. :o