6 confirmed dead in Nevada truck-train crash

News_Editor

6 confirmed dead in Nevada truck-train crash

2011-06-27 04:26:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

RENO, NEVADA (BNO NEWS) -- Authorities confirmed that at least six people were killed when a tractor-trailer truck slammed into a passing Amtrak passenger train at a railroad crossing east of Reno, Nevada, Kolo TV reported on late Saturday.

According to the Churchill County Sheriff's Office, there are 6 confirmed fatalities. At the news conference Saturday night, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said about 28 people are still unaccounted for, which could also mean that passengers never made their departure time.

Dozens of people were injured when the semi-truck plowed into the Amtrak train at a crossing in a rural area about 70 miles (113 km) east of Reno on Friday. Amtrak said in a statement that the 10-car train, which originated in Chicago and was on its way to Emeryville, California, was carrying 204 passengers and 14 crew members. Numerous people aboard the train were taken to area hospitals for treatment.

CNN affiliate KOLO-TV reported that investigators said the driver, who died in the collision, was in his mid forties and lived in northern Nevada. They added that skid marks at the scene of the crash show he tried to stop the truck about 320 feet (97.53 meters) before slamming into the train.

The semi-truck is owned by John Davies Trucking of Battle Mountain. The trucking company, however, did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.

Meanwhile, Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval on Friday issued a statement following the accident and extended his condolences to the families of the victims. "I visited those affected by today's [Friday's] train crash this afternoon at the shelter in Fallon," Sandoval said. "Our hearts go out to the victims and their families. Kathleen and I will keep them in our thoughts and prayers."

"The Department of Public Safety continues to keep me updated and I thank them for their swift response today [Friday]. I would also like to thank the emergency response crews and volunteers in Churchill County. Their calm and brave response to today's tragedy has comforted many," Sandoval added.

The NTSB is holding another news conference on Monday.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-27