U.S. drone strikes kill 26 suspected militants in Pakistan

News_Editor

U.S. drone strikes kill 26 suspected militants in Pakistan

2011-06-28 19:08:00 GMT+7 (ICT)

PESHAWAR, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. drone strikes on Monday killed at least 26 suspected militants in Pakistan's volatile tribal region, local media reported Tuesday.

Four air strikes were launched at a double cabin van in the Kung Ghalai area of Bermal Tehsil in Pakistan's South Waziristan, some two kilometers (1.2 miles) from the Afghan border, intelligence officials told the Express Tribune.

During the strike, about 29 kilometers (18 miles) from Wana, North Waziristan, at least 12 suspected militants, both Pakistani and Afghan, were killed and reportedly thought to be members of the Hafiz Gul Bahadur group.

Late Monday night, an unmanned aircraft launched a second attack against two residences in the Mantoi area of South Waziristan, where another 14 suspected militants were reportedly killed. No information was available regarding the number of injured during the strikes.

Controversy has surrounded the drone strikes - which have amounted to over 30 this year - as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the casualties are usually not provided. The latest strike in South Waziristan marks the sixth this month alone, while North Waziristan, which was heavily targeted in 2010, has had one drone strike this month.

Last week, another air strike from an unmanned vehicle killed at least 11 suspected militants after four missiles were launched against two suspected militant compounds and a vehicle in the the Khardand area of Pakistan's Kurram Agency, which is located near the border with Afghanistan's Paktia province.

In April, more than 40 people were killed in U.S. drone strikes in the volatile tribal region of North Waziristan, which also borders Afghanistan, prompting thousands of Pakistanis to gather and protest against the attacks during a two-day sit-in.

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan said in its annual report that the U.S. drone strikes were responsible for 957 extra-legal killings in 2010. Since August 2008, there have been over 250 drone attacks that have reportedly killed more than 1,500 people in North and South Waziristan.

Pakistan's Afghan border, which the United States considers to be the most dangerous place on Earth, is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, considered one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-28

Controversy has surrounded the drone strikes - which have amounted to over 30 this year - as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban.

At this stage I am inclined to think that is the desired outcome.

Nothing & I do mean NOTHING else is being accomplished.

The intentional targeting of non combatants is not an acceptable strategy in any mans military. But, if I willingly physically associate with combatants, I am putting myself at a extremely high risk. It would be just wonderful if war was fought in the old manner, only those actually doing the fighting were the only ones killed. The support personal of those on the losing side were taken as slaves or in some female cases, as wives. Not sure but maybe this would satisfy those who proclaim the innocent causalities as unacceptable.

Some societies of the world bring up their young men to despise any different thinking society. I would doubt the majority of these volunteers for jihad are pushed into joining the the fight against the infidels by the death of a family member.

Acts of aggression start wars/military action, many times by a minority of the countries citizens involved. Peace on the other hand is normally the result of the majority of the people involved, wanting relief from the tragedies of war. It tragic but sometimes its takes a lot of killing to get to the peaceful talking point.

Some societies of the world bring up their young men to despise any different thinking society. I would doubt the majority of these volunteers for jihad are pushed into joining the the fight against the infidels by the death of a family member.

Agreed, the hatred is drummed into them from an early age, the killing of extremists is the pretext for their jihad not the cause of it - supremacism is a cult ideology not a response to western actions, otherwise those in Southern Thailand, Southern Sudan, Nigeria and Hindu Kashmir would not be on the receiving end of the same violence.

Suspected... As long as they suspect them to be something, it's enough for them to kill them.

America the great. :(

A lot of the information regarding these militants is highly vetted and often passed from the Pakistani side of the border. Despite the uproar in Islamabad, there is significant cooperation with the US regarding these strikes.

Until Pakistan and its military grow the balls and intestinal fortitude to go in there and clean that place up and hold the ground by itself so as to cut off this blatant safe haven for insurgents fleeing the ISAF operation in Afghanistan. The controversy can continue until the cows come home IMO.

This region is indeed where the 'REAL' war on terror is being fought. Bin Ladens presence in an apparent safe house right in amoungst Pakistans equivilent to Sandhurst is enough evidence for a mandate to continue these raids. One or two small tactical nuclear missile strikes in this lawless region may be an incentive for the Paki government to start doing something positive in the area. Instead of them play two hands in the same game. Furthermore. It is far past the time when ALL aid to Pakistan should be cut off. Seal that place off and conduct death from above operations is my view. Then they may come around to our way of thinking.

Filth. :annoyed:

Controversy has surrounded the drone strikes - which have amounted to over 30 this year - as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban.

At this stage I am inclined to think that is the desired outcome.

Nothing & I do mean NOTHING else is being accomplished.

My bad.....Forgot that something is actually being accomplished by the minute/second....

http://costofwar.com/en/

A once great nation follows in the exact footsteps of many that came before them.