Muay Thai

Richard4849

I have some family members in town, including a couple ten year-old boys who want to see some Muay Thai.

Lumpinee / Ratchadamnoen are way too expensive, and we only need half an hour to give them a taste.

Can anyone recommend an option in Bangkok? Are there any gyms that welcome visitors where we could just walk in and observe the goings on for a half hour?

Thanks, guys.

Ch 7 Sunday afternoon, free.

Ch 7 is out by Mor Chit skytrain across the road from Chatuchak.

ช่องเจ็ดสี as it is known to the locals.

This is the place to go.

All the main stadiums charge stupid prices for foreigners.

Thanks, all. Semper...not quite sure why Muay Thai would be inappropriate for ten year-olds to watch?

Hmmmm

Let’s think shall we (I know that may hurt but occasionally it’s necessary – especially for a Parent).

1) It's extremely violent and bloody - bones are often broken.

2) The majority of the observers are of the lowest class that Bangkok has to offer – usually drunk, always screaming obscenities and throwing crude gestures and so on.

3) The whole raison d'etre is to provide an outlet for the Thai love of gambling - money is ostentatiously thrown around, usually by people who appear to have no innate ability to have honestly earned it in the first place.

In fact exactly the sort of atmosphere in which a 10 year old can develop an intelligent, reasoned outlook on life!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Ch 7 Sunday afternoon, free.

Ch 7 is out by Mor Chit skytrain across the road from Chatuchak.

ช่องเจ็ดสี as it is known to the locals.

This is the place to go.

All the main stadiums charge stupid prices for foreigners.

Gees.....there is dual pricing at Muay Thai stadiums too ?!

Not that this would affect me directly because I don't like martial arts but I am saying it as a matter of principle. I detest dual-pricing (except in public health and education, where I find sort of understandable/acceptable).

Jem

It's a sport, just like hockey, Western boxing, rugby, and American football which are violent and where there are also the occasional broken bone. You're free to parent as you wish, Patrick, but I see absolutely no harm in taking a kid who's interested to see it. The crowd is an integral part of the experience.

It's a sport, just like hockey, Western boxing, rugby, and American football which are violent and where there are also the occasional broken bone. You're free to parent as you wish, Patrick, but I see absolutely no harm in taking a kid who's interested to see it. The crowd is an integral part of the experience.

Certainly injuries can happen in any sport - by accident.

Boxing - whether Western or Thai versions - is the only "sport" where the participants whole focus is to cause intentional injury to their opponent; you are of course free to make your own decision but I would never take any child of mine to watch a display of such deliberate violence.

Patrick

You must be one boring old fart Patrick.

Nothing wrong with Muay Thai at all for kids.

I grew up on Boxing as a child.

It's a sport mate.

You never watched a contact sport before? You don't think they are trying to injure people in hockey, football, rugby, etc? Guess you have never watched those sports either.

Stick to ballet and lawn balls.

It's a sport mate.

You never watched a contact sport before? You don't think they are trying to injure people in hockey, football, rugby, etc? Guess you have never watched those sports either.

Why? Because he don't want to bring young kids to look at Muai Thai? :ermm:

I believe on some days they have a ring set up at the BTS entrance to MBK. I can't remember what days, something like Fri, Sat, or Sun. It is free. You can even stand on the walkway above and get a great view. Problem is that you are standing the whole time, so 30 minutes might be a bit long.

It's a sport mate.

Well old chap you rather prove the point I am trying to make, don’t you see. You blunder into what has so far been a polite and reasoned debate and your contribution is a crude and totally unprovoked insult directed at me.

You are clearly an intemperate – and ill-mannered – individual whose first instinct is to be aggressive and confrontational; whether you were born with this attitude and it led you to the “sport” of Boxing or whether Boxing awoke and nurtured it in you is an interesting question, but irrelevant.

For myself: From my schooldays until my mid-30’s I was deeply involved with many contact sports – I played Rugby Union and Rugby League, both at very high levels, I am a 3rd Dan Judoka, 2nd Dan Karateka and Fenced (Sabre). I played for or represented my school, University or County in many of these sports. (Amusingly enough by the way, I also took Ballet lessons for several years, it’s a great aid to balance and posture and this is useful in many sports.)

In the course of my sporting life I suffered several injuries – several broken bones in my hands and feet, a broken ankle, leg, wrist (twice) and collarbone (twice). In every single instance the opponent who caused the injury was genuinely contrite and apologetic: I cannot speak for sports in which I have no personal knowledge however I can assure you that in those I have played no-one goes out to cause deliberate injury to any opponent.

The opposite is the case in Boxing. The opponents enter the ring and proceed to beat each other until one in insensible or unable to continue. In the event that both are still standing at the end of the bout a panel of Judges decides which has caused the most injury to the other and declares him “the winner”. This unedifying spectacle is cheered on by a noisy crowd baying for blood and injury.

It’s not a Sport – it’s crude gladiatorial combat and should have no place in a civilised world, much less in the upbringing of a young child.

Patrick

I believe on some days they have a ring set up at the BTS entrance to MBK. I can't remember what days, something like Fri, Sat, or Sun. It is free. You can even stand on the walkway above and get a great view. Problem is that you are standing the whole time, so 30 minutes might be a bit long.

it was wednesdays, but they have put it on hold for a few months now though as there is no cover for ring and rainy season