Pheu Thai: Thailand To Overcome Poverty By 2020

webfact

One promise could be true. If they raise the wages so quickly and unnaturally to uncompetitive levels, lots of people will be fired, so definitely MANY more 5-10 baht meat stick vendors and noodle carts will pop up! Don't ask what's in the meatballs though. Oh, and inflation ...

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One promise could be true. If they raise the wages so quickly and unnaturally to uncompetitive levels, lots of people will be fired, so definitely MANY more 5-10 baht meat stick vendors and noodle carts will pop up! Don't ask what's in the meatballs though.

Don't worry, I am sure the supply of those embalmed chickens will more than cover the demand for those meatballs. :rolleyes:

TheWalkingMan

The intent of the statement that is twisted about in the opinion piece is to provide a vision statement. A common characteristic of successful operations is that they have clear goals and a vision. That is one of the main principles taught in business school. Although I doubt that the goals as stated are going to be achieved, at least they provide a target and set out the PTP goal. If Thailand can achieve even 20% of the stated goals it will have made progress and that's the intent.

The PTP continues to present a positive message of hope and direction. Can anyone in here blasting the PTP explain the Democrat party vision statement? What exactly are the goals of the Democrat party aside from hanging on to power? In terms of electioneering and leadership, PTP at least has stated where it wants to go. The Democrats are adrift under the lacklustre leadership of a PM that has seems to have conceded the election.

The intent of the statement that is twisted about in the opinion piece is to provide a vision statement. A common characteristic of successful operations is that they have clear goals and a vision. That is one of the main principles taught in business school. Although I doubt that the goals as stated are going to be achieved, at least they provide a target and set out the PTP goal. If Thailand can achieve even 20% of the stated goals it will have made progress and that's the intent.

The PTP continues to present a positive message of hope and direction. Can anyone in here blasting the PTP explain the Democrat party vision statement? What exactly are the goals of the Democrat party aside from hanging on to power? In terms of electioneering and leadership, PTP at least has stated where it wants to go. The Democrats are adrift under the lacklustre leadership of a PM that has seems to have conceded the election.

In that case, I wonder why they aimed so low. Why not set the target minimum wage at 5,000 baht. That would make everyone feel MUCH more positive.

I can't believe you're defending these ridiculous promises.

edit: actually, I'm not really surprised you're defending them.

Edited by whybother

Mr Olarn, the man who nearly bankrupted Siam Commercial Bank in the past, is in charge of the financial policies of Pheua Thai.

Mr Korbsak of the Democrats critized 3 stated policies of Pheua Thai for lacking details.

Mr Olarn admitted the Pheua Thai poster stating-' I child,one computer tablet' actually only meant Pratom 1 (Grade 1 students).

15,000 baht starting salary for graduates only referred to graduating teachers who had studied extra.

300 baht minimum salary for workers was only for workers who had completed training courses and passed.

So many lies!

Unless you set clear, defined, precise goals, you’ll have no way to measure how far from them you’ve ended up.

In that case, I wonder why they aimed so low. Why not set the target minimum wage at 5,000 baht. That would make everyone feel MUCH more positive.

I am not defending the promises. I am pointing out that the statement, which has been put into as negative a light as possible in the opinion piece, was a statement of goal. There is nothing wrong with the statement as a vision statement. It is a positive hopeful position. On the contrary, it is to be expected from a well managed political party. Many political parties elsewhere have similar vision statements. What must follow is a strategy to achieve that goal. Personally, I don't think that the goal is achievable, but that's not the intent. The intent is to fix a target and to say to the party and its supporters, this is what we want to achieve. The Democrats have yet to provide a clear statement of direction.

I believe that Thailand has a looming fiscal crisis and that the PTP should it win will inherit an empty treasury. That's why I do not believe the goal is achievable. I suspect that you and others are trashing the statement based upon the usual negative positions that anything and everything PTP is bad. You may need to reconsider those views once the PTP wins the election.smile.gif

I think if Korn and Abhisit sat on their hands for the next four years, they could probably achieve the 20% of PTPstated goals.

The sort of statements and 'pie in the sky' promises (aka lies) that PTP is making in their so-called "vision statement", in the United Kingdom and perhaps in North America and Australia, they'd be accused of "taking the piss":whistling:

I am not defending the promises. I am pointing out that the statement, which has been put into as negative a light as possible in the opinion piece, was a statement of goal. There is nothing wrong with the statement as a vision statement. It is a positive hopeful position. On the contrary, it is to be expected from a well managed political party. Many political parties elsewhere have similar vision statements. What must follow is a strategy to achieve that goal. Personally, I don't think that the goal is achievable, but that's not the intent. The intent is to fix a target and to say to the party and its supporters, this is what we want to achieve. The Democrats have yet to provide a clear statement of direction.

I believe that Thailand has a looming fiscal crisis and that the PTP should it win will inherit an empty treasury. That's why I do not believe the goal is achievable. I suspect that you and others are trashing the statement based upon the usual negative positions that anything and everything PTP is bad. You may need to reconsider those views once the PTP wins the election.smile.gif

I think it would be more helpful to set 1, 2, and 4 year goals, then explain how those goals will be achieved, what the process and funding will be. Going out 9 years is a bit much, imho; top economists can't plan for eventualities that will arise.

I do agree it's good to put a positive front to the people. However, there's positive, and then there's ludicrously positive. And I think K Yingluck's goals go past the line of believability.

I think most people are trashing the statement because it's ridiculous, and even in good times, completely unachievable.

And if the Democrats HAD come out with a similar "vision" all the red supporters would be trashing it for the exact same reasons.

Edited by whybother

I think that the issue with their statement of goals is that they are so far outside reality, that people want to have a chuckle. Having goals/statements etc are nice, but when they borderline on ludicrous, it makes some people wonder if the politicians have any respect for the voters or if the politicians believe that the voters are totally dim and actually believe it. Either way, some ridicule should be expected when anyone says something that is a lot closer to impossible than possible.

TheWalkingMan

just the sort of reply from you again,no basis not fact and not doable,but your standing on what you know from experience coming from a nation thats trying all the things that dont work and nearly going to default any day now.

you do miss the big picture,only human i feel sorry for you no offence intended

"The intent of the statement that is twisted about in the opinion piece is to provide a vision statement."

"That is one of the main principles taught in business school".

You are right, For sellers of Santa Claus chocolate dolls.

That last sentence sounds slightly threatening. Surely PTP wouldn't threaten those who speak out against them. After all remember the ruckus caused by PTP in parliament and on the streets when the Dem shut down all the red radio stations. Besides aren't PTP all for reconciliation??

Mr Olarn admitted the Pheua Thai poster stating-' I child,one computer tablet' actually only meant Pratom 1 (Grade 1 students).

15,000 baht starting salary for graduates only referred to graduating teachers who had studied extra.

300 baht minimum salary for workers was only for workers who had completed training courses and passed.

So many lies!

There is nothing wrong with the statement as a vision statement. It is a positive hopeful position.

Rather than a "vision statement" of a "positive hopeful position", the bold 2 meter-high road-side campaign signs, in reference to Siripon's revelation of a now self-admitted Pheu Thai lie, reads much more like a promise:

One Tablet PC per child, students have computers to use – Free WIFI-free public internet – Puea Thai

Photo viewable at:

http://2bangkok.com/peau-thai-promises-tablet-computers-for-the-kids.html

Lots of uneducated people answering in this thread, it seems. Wake up, Thailand isn't a poor country.

That's why so many of them are living in Thailand. You probably noticed as I have done that it's pretty much only the Thaksin bashers that are posting any comments recently. The others have realised that it's no point discussing anything with such blinkered people. Much more fun to just sit on the sidelines and listen to the others shout themselves hoarse.

Poverty? if she wants to see poverty she needs to visit Cambodia

Thailand has more brand new cars on the road than the people.

Prices of goods are same, and in some cases even more then the West.

Property prices in BKK are on the par with some Western prices already, and sold daily.

How is she planning for Thailand to be competitive? on the world market when the cost of production will go up by about 10 times at least to cover all the wage increases.

Does she really think Toyota and all alike giants will remain in Thailand if their costs will soar?

How is she planning to develop work habits and remove the laziness? Most if not all business in Thailand have 3-5 times the amount of staff needed, because the job does not get done otherwise, if all those "extra" bodies get paid 6 times more the salary, what would happened to the price of the service and good?

Nothing but another useless and time wasting election statement promising an impossible and aimed at people with rather less brain cells.

Lots of uneducated people answering in this thread, it seems. Wake up, Thailand isn't a poor country.

That's why so many of them are living in Thailand. You probably noticed as I have done that it's pretty much only the Thaksin bashers that are posting any comments recently. The others have realised that it's no point discussing anything with such blinkered people. Much more fun to just sit on the sidelines and listen to the others shout themselves hoarse.

because they have no reply,and blinkered you lead the pack,sitting and waiting for the thai way live for today.

more fool you.

sit on the fence all year long look and learn.

good job oxygens free waste it all you want,ts basher noway.open mind and living in the real world yes.

9 years! Last time I heard such unbeleivable goals was when 'someone' said, we will have a man on the moon in 9 years - and look how that ended up - erm....

Man on the moon much easier than overcoming poverty.

At a country level - not really - its just the determination and what needs to be sacrificed to make it happen. Of course, that doesn't mean there is the will for either here.

There is also the definition of poverty - to me, being able to house, clothe and feed oneself is the poverty-line. Some dictionaries (I just googled it "Define: Poverty" to see) define it as lacking material goods, but I think my basic definition is better in this regard. Any state earning a good GDP, with good internal trade also, and its own food staple, should be able to accomplish this - with the removal of corruption and lower margins etc - and a real tax system that makes all earners pay their share and social care system that pays out for those that can't earn. I agree 9 years is very agressive, but why not given the will, backing and room to manouver. It possible - however, I agree that its improbable and the have's are not likely make the sacrifices that would be required.

So naive.

Circa 1960's. Poverty today in the US -- worse.

LBJ didn't promise even close the BS Thaksin was promising. He was sincere indeed, but this has failed. Starting with absurd pie in the sky --100 percent chance of failure.

Interestingly, if you don't think the USA experience is relevant, the level of inequality between the rich and poor in the USA is today very similar to Thailand. Depending on how you measure, you could argue the USA is even worse.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly support more equality in all countries. Just don't believe a Thaksin puppet party is the political entity to actually achieve that.

As a tv report recently reported, the red shirt Thais vote with their hearts, not with their heads. Yep.

Edited by Jingthing

PHEU THAI PARTY

Thailand to overcome poverty by 2020

By The Nation

Thailand is projected to overcome poverty by 2020 when a university graduate will earn Bt30,000 per month for entry job and the minimum wage is expected to rise to Bt1,000 per day, if Pheu Thai wins the July 3 vote....

Sure.. Right after they win the War on Drugs... and Buffaloes sprout wings to fly off with the Pigs and Pink elephants.

Never will happen until they start filling the Jails with the Corrupt...

And their leaders grow a Big set of Bulls Balls!!!

CS

So naive.

Circa 1960's. Poverty today in the US -- worse.

LBJ didn't promise even close the BS Thaksin was promising. He was sincere indeed, but this has failed. Starting with absurd pie in the sky --100 percent chance of failure.

Interestingly, if you don't think the USA experience is relevant, the level of inequality between the rich and poor in the USA is today very similar to Thailand. Depending on how you measure, you could argue the USA is even worse.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly support more equality in all countries. Just don't believe a Thaksin puppet party is the political entity to actually achieve that.

As a tv report recently reported, the red shirt Thais vote with their hearts, not with their heads. Yep.

Its no more or less relevent IMO. What is physically possible is not the same as what is likely - I don't argue that these promises are sky pie, I don't argue it is extreamely unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes let alone 9 years - I simply argue that it is not impossible theoretically. It certainly can't happen along side the rest of the promises as they all cost and are all very hard to achieve. LBJ had the same basic problem as there is here, there is not the will and the poeple that need to make the greatest sacrifices simply would not - and post war ecconomics (Reagan on probably) pushed for a materialistic society that is hardly condusive to lessening the gap between the rich and poor. The problem is that we can't have both a socialist dream of everyone being ecconomically equal (its not human nature anyway) and a country that produces entrepreneurs and good money (China certainly doesn't manage it - how many people live below the poverty line there?).

I also believe that none of these goals are intended to be realised or probably even attempted with any real rigour by these people - hot air pie. I was not commenting on their ability to realise them, only that it is achievable here if the intent, will and determination was there (the country is wealthy enough as a wole and has good further earning potential even so) - but (I guess like you) I certainy do not believe any of the three are present in either the electorate or the candidates!

Has no-one noticed that after completing a uni degree " a university graduate will earn Bt30,000 per month for entry job" you will earn the minimum wage " the minimum wage is expected to rise to Bt1,000 per day." What a great incentive for higher leaning! Actually in Jan, March, May, July........ you will be behind a hard-working shovel-operator, or 7-11 clerk.

G/kid i s right of course, all the major busineeses now have leaders who express their vision for the company, while taking home 50+ times the earnings of the poor bastards who actually do the work. MBA's have given us great things like Enron, and the current financial collapse, and still walked away with millions while the rest of us wonder where our savings went.

"Salary for entry level job to start at Bt30,000 "... well considering that is the BASE salary level for foreigners (NATIVE SPEAKERS) (with experience and at least a master's degree as a requirement) teaching in a government university and has been at the same level for about five years at least...will the salary for the foreigners teaching also finally rise or will only the Thai salary for entry level workers rise to this level ?

Or do they expect, " with their world class education", they will not need anymore native speakers to help them learn to speak English? I guess they expect they will have learned all they need by the time the ASEAN 2015 provisions are in place.

My friends with Thai children are waiting to get their free IPADs also...

The "policies" the PT keep unveiling are going from crazy to extremely ridiculous. Do they really believe the population is that stupid or ignorant to buy into their fantsies? I guess we will find out on July 3 the answers to this last question.

...In a nutshell, yes they'e quite gullible folk who need money!!