UN's Hariri tribunal indicts four Hezbollah members

News_Editor

UN's Hariri tribunal indicts four Hezbollah members

2011-06-30 21:08:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

BEIRUT (BNO NEWS) -- A U.N.-backed court investigating the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri on Thursday handed over the Lebanon-portion of the indictment and arrest warrants for four Hezbollah members, Lebanon's State Prosecutor Saeed Mirza said.

According to the Daily Star, the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) delegation handed over to Mirza the sealed indictment, which accused four Hezbollah members, during a meeting held at Mirza's office at the Justice Palace in Beirut.

"I will now examine the indictment and the warrants to take the appropriate measures," Mirza told reporters following the meeting.

A judicial source told The Daily Star that the indictment identified the suspects as Mustafa Badreddine, Salim al-Ayyash, Hasan Aineysseh and Asad Sabra. Badreddine, the brother-in-law of Hezbollah's slain commander Imad Mughaniyeh, allegedly masterminded and supervised the plot to assassinate Hariri.

Hezbollah Secretary General Al-Sayyid Hassan Nasrallah said last November that his group had no involvement in the murder of PM Hariri and 22 others. He added that they will not tolerate any accusation against any member of the organization.

Hezbollah has claimed that the UN-backed tribunal's probe is marred by witnesses who gave false information and urged the Lebanese government to deal with these 'false witnesses' in the tribunal.

Speaking to a local radio station, Minister of State of Administrative Affairs and Hezbollah member Mohammad Fneish said: “When we see the [sTL] indictment, we will comment on it."

Lebanon, according to experts, now has 30 days to serve out the arrest warrants. If the suspects are not arrested within that period, the STL will then make public the indictment and summon the suspects to appear before the court.

Hariri was killed with 22 others on February 14, 2005, when a massive blast struck his motorcade in a seafront district of Beirut. The assassination sparked the so-called Cedar Revolution, a wave of mass protests that forced Syria to withdraw its troops from Lebanon after a 29-year deployment.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-30

This is exactly why Iran engineered a Hizbollah takeover of Lebannon so could block any arrest warrants issued to the Lebanese government. With Syria and Iran both engaged in murder and terrorist activities it's becoming clearer that a war against this unholy trinity is inevitable - If only the nettle had been grasped three years ago it would have been so much easier. :annoyed:

This is exactly why Iran engineered a Hizbollah takeover of Lebannon so could block any arrest warrants issued to the Lebanese government. With Syria and Iran both engaged in murder and terrorist activities it's becoming clearer that a war against this unholy trinity is inevitable - If only the nettle had been grasped three years ago it would have been so much easier. :annoyed:

It does kind of explain all the latest military testings Iran has done. Mind you, if it was a test to check the readiness, perhaps doing silently would of been a better option, as the "enemy" now is well aware of the capability's

If the aim was to scare, i think Iran rather showed some of its cards, again making it easier for the "enemy" to prepare.

Either :hit-the-fan:will hit the fan or nothing will be done or Hezbollah will start another war.

I am more inclined to believe that war is the option they will take.

We disagree again. :) no war. Lebanon will not act for fear of the destruction a war would bring. Look for a trial in absentia in an International Court setting. Watch for Iran to protest. And people expect the west to negoiate with Hizbollah???????

Either :hit-the-fan:will hit the fan or nothing will be done or Hezbollah will start another war.

I am more inclined to believe that war is the option they will take.

We disagree again. :) no war. Lebanon will not act for fear of the destruction a war would bring. Look for a trial in absentia in an International Court setting. Watch for Iran to protest. And people expect the west to negoiate with Hizbollah???????

I did not mean war in Lebanon, i meant Hezbollah attacking Israel for diversion.

Hezbollah already accused Harriri in conspiring with Israel and a few other "wild" allegations.

I do hope i am wrong and no war, but as you know Hezbollah and its backers are not the most rational people on this planet. I do however believe if war was the chosen option, i doubt Iran will actually get involved physically, but rather again will instigate it and sit back and support it one way or another.

It has also been reported Hezbollah has been moving its rockets and unusual military movements, which so happen to coincide with Syria doing the same.

I guess, will have to wait and see, i am sure next 30-60 days it will be clear of what to come