Which Bicycle Would You Suggest?

GarryP

I used to have an LA MTB, which cost about 15K but it was stolen (nearly new) despite being chained up outside my house. This was then replaced by an LA Bike 6 speed shopper which cost about 4K, which is brought inside at night. It is suitable for going to the market and 7-11 etc. but not the types of rides I go on with it. On weekends I regularly ride the shopper (I probably look quite stupid too :lol: ) around the streets and sois of Bangkok but it is much too heavy and slow. As such I need to upgrade. First of all, I must clarify that I know nothing about bikes and cycling (just in case you did not already realise that by the bikes I have used :whistling: ), I just enjoy going out alone and exploring new sois and also the exercise I get. I also like cranking up the speed on short sprints and to get the muscles burning from time to time (standing up on the pedals of a shopper to pump out max speed looks decidedly wrong but I don't care).

I have looked at a number of different models, and have decided to steer away from an MTB, but still need something quite sturdy to deal with the potholes I regularly encounter and the odd dirt track here and there. Either a dual purpose bike, path bike or even a sturdy road bike or similar. The Trek 7.5FX looks to be ideal for speed, durability and versatility (not sure it is available here or not, but the 7.3FX is) but I find it hard to justify 25K or more for just a weekend bike.

If you are still with me, now here is the question. Can any of you cyclists suggest a suitable alternative with similar attributes to the Trek 7.5FX for say not more than 20K. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by GarryP

GaryP

Have you considered a second hand bike? There are hundreds of them coming across the Thai Cambodian border at the Suring crossing on a regular basis. The border market has thousands of bikes in all shapes & sizes on display. Once you find a suitable frame you can strip it and have it repainted to look new. Keep the components or outfit it with components of your choosing. You can either go to Surin to look at them yourself or contact a local bike dealer in Bangkok to ask for assistance. The BKK dealer will contact the sellers in the border market asking them to look for a specific size/type of bike which can then be shipped to BKK very inexpensively. You can easily spend the day looking through all the bikes in the border market. I live in Udon Thani and know several Thai riding friends who have gone this route with good results. Some of the bikes are really very good with high quality aluminum & even titanium frames.

Hope this helps.

Mike

GaryP

Have you considered a second hand bike? There are hundreds of them coming across the Thai Cambodian border at the Suring crossing on a regular basis. The border market has thousands of bikes in all shapes & sizes on display. Once you find a suitable frame you can strip it and have it repainted to look new. Keep the components or outfit it with components of your choosing. You can either go to Surin to look at them yourself or contact a local bike dealer in Bangkok to ask for assistance. The BKK dealer will contact the sellers in the border market asking them to look for a specific size/type of bike which can then be shipped to BKK very inexpensively. You can easily spend the day looking through all the bikes in the border market. I live in Udon Thani and know several Thai riding friends who have gone this route with good results. Some of the bikes are really very good with high quality aluminum & even titanium frames.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I had never thought of doing it that way, but it is certainly an interesting idea. I never knew that bikes were coming across the border like that. I would definitely consider second hand and would be prepared to put down a deposit and then let the shop sort everything out including repainting and outfitting the bike. As I said, I know nothing about the sport so would have no clue as to the correct combination of frame, brakes, bars, cranks, gears, etc. I am not even sure about the size of the frame I need (I am 6 foot with a 34 or 35 inseam). I would probably end up with something outrageously bad or totally inappropriate. Another alternative is for the shop to provide all suitable parts and then I clean up, repaint, and assemble the bike. That is something I am definietly capable of, but then labor here is so cheap and the shop would have all the correct tools, so it would make more sense for them to do it.

GaryP

I'm 5'10" and ride a 20" frame. I would suspect that same size frame would suit you just fine. Most bikes will have a frame size listed on the verticle seat tube. However, if for some reason it's not there just measure the distance from the top of the seat tube opening to the center of the crank (where the pedals are attached).

I would let the shop handle whatever needs to be done with the bike. All you need to do is choose the components.

You can do a little homework with your computer to learn about what components to choose etc before making your choice. Leting the shop handle the installation also gives you some backup when the new components need adjusting. Most shops will take care of whatever they installed for a reasonable amount of time without charge. At least that's been my experience.

Try doing a little research on the sport before you buy anything. Here's a good starting point: www.crazyguyonabike.com

Good Luck

Mike

Have you considered a second hand bike? There are hundreds of them coming across the Thai Cambodian border at the Suring crossing on a regular basis. The border market has thousands of bikes in all shapes & sizes on display.

I live in Udon Thani and know several Thai riding friends who have gone this route with good results. Some of the bikes are really very good with high quality aluminum & even titanium frames.

If there are titanium bikes at a Thai-Cambodia border market, I'd think they were stolen. That would also lead me to believe that some/many/all of the other bikes are stolen too. That's not a market I would support. But it might be a place for the OP to look for his stolen bike.

Have you considered a second hand bike? There are hundreds of them coming across the Thai Cambodian border at the Suring crossing on a regular basis. The border market has thousands of bikes in all shapes & sizes on display.

I live in Udon Thani and know several Thai riding friends who have gone this route with good results. Some of the bikes are really very good with high quality aluminum & even titanium frames.

If there are titanium bikes at a Thai-Cambodia border market, I'd think they were stolen. That would also lead me to believe that some/many/all of the other bikes are stolen too. That's not a market I would support. But it might be a place for the OP to look for his stolen bike.

El Jefe

I have no idea where the bikes are originating from. I saw hundreds of Japanese mail carrier bikes, fold up bikes, and god knows what else. Some were good some not so good. I saw well over a thousand bikes on display in the market and many hundred more waiting to be put on display.

Sheldon Brown has a great website and I have done some reading there. The problem is that you end up with information overload and no nearer to knowing which model is most appropriate. Anyway, I shall peruse the fdmike kindly suggested, to see what pointers are given there.

As to visiting the market to check out whether my stolen bike is there, it will be long gone. Also, when you factor in traveling expenses that can add another 1K or so to the bottom line.

Sheldon Brown has a great website and I have done some reading there. The problem is that you end up with information overload and no nearer to knowing which model is most appropriate. Anyway, I shall peruse the fdmike kindly suggested, to see what pointers are given there.

As to visiting the market to check out whether my stolen bike is there, it will be long gone. Also, when you factor in traveling expenses that can add another 1K or so to the bottom line.

Garry P you misunderstood what I said. I didn't expect you to go hunting for your old bike at the border market. I suggested you go view the bikes which are available to see if one caught your eye and was available at a decent price.

I really think the only way to see if you like a particular bike is to sit on it to see how it feels.

Go for the TREK Navigator "2.0"

Great bikes that dont tire you out!

Actually the Trek 2.0 women's bike looks very much like the LA shopper I already have. Mine is a comfortable ride as is, but way too heavy and sluggish. I want something, lighter, nippier and more responsive if you will, as I enjoy sprints (racing motorbikes when the traffic lights turn green, seeing how far I can get before such and such a vehicle catches up, etc. :D )and generally bombing about the streets and sois. For some reason I am never satisfied with just sedately pedaling around and invariably end up trying to race around like a deranged idiot. Probably a bit foolish for a 48 year old man, but I really enjoy myself so am not going to give up. The bike also needs to be strong too with all the potholes and deteriorated road surfaces, not to mention the various sized sleeping policemen you see in most sois nowadays.

Went to Pro-Bike today just to take a quick look. They have a Trek FX for Baht 22,500. I don'y know if they would discount that price or not because I was totally ignored by all the staff apart from the security guard who let me in.

The Jamis Coda looks interesting too but do not know if it is available in Thailand or not.

I am a little bit concerned whether these bikes are suitable for BKK with the state of the roads here. Perhaps, I should be going for something more dual sport but am concerend about weight and speed. Any other suggestions?

Edited by GarryP

Went to Pro-Bike today just to take a quick look. They have a Trek FX for Baht 22,500. I don'y know if they would discount that price or not because I was totally ignored by all the staff apart from the security guard who let me in.

The Jamis Coda looks interesting too but do not know if it is available in Thailand or not.

I am a little bit concerned whether these bikes are suitable for BKK with the state of the roads here. Perhaps, I should be going for something more dual sport but am concerend about weight and speed. Any other suggestions?

Why have you ruled MTB out? I would think, (pot-holes and all) this would be the perfect all-rounder. You do know you can put road tires on them don't you. A good hard tail will do the job. I would suggest you take another look at them.

Edited by Tonto21

Why have you ruled MTB out? I would think, (pot-holes and all) this would be the perfect all-rounder. You do know you can put road tires on them don't you. A good hard tail will do the job. I would suggest you take another look at them.

I would have to agree with Tonto on the MTB. I have been riding my Merida MTB HFS 3000 now for several years on dirt roads as well as paved. It's taken me on several trips to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore & of course Thailand. There are all kinds of tires available for these bikes as well. I'm currently riding on Schwalbe Extremes because they allow me to ride both paved and dirt roads but you can easily fit street tires without a problem.

Weight is not a problem because the bike is made out of lightweight high strength 6066 aluminum. The front shocks are also lightweight RST First Platinum Air shocks. The shocks are very light being made of magnesium & aluminum and use air as the spring.

Funny you should mention that but on my way home from work I popped into that place in Amarin Plaza (Bike Zone) and the salesman there suggested exactly what you both have, a mountain bike on road tires. I had just never thought of that before although it makes sense. Oh well, back to the drawing board. At least I am learning something through the process.

Edited by GarryP

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys this is my question so sorry for the hijack. My Mongoose still has the original tires. They are knobbys & I want to change out to some road or street tires. Would Bike Zone have them in stock? I really only know 3 shops, The one on Pattakarn , Amarin & the place beside Lumpini. Any help or advice appreciated.Size is 1.95 X 26 Thanks

Thanks for the many replies.

I went to Bike World in Amarin Plaza & picked up a pair of Maxxis Worm Drive 26 X 1.90 (35-65 PSI) & some brake pads. Fitted up the tires today & they are wonderful. The originals had been on there for 6 years. whoopee.

I should have bought a road bike instead.

Bike World sell Marin.

Pro Bike is the dealer of TREX.

The staff at Bike World were great; friendly & helpful.

I paid 550 per tire. The Kevlar ones were a little rich for my blood at 1550 each.

k

Hey guys this is my question so sorry for the hijack. My Mongoose still has the original tires. They are knobbys & I want to change out to some road or street tires. Would Bike Zone have them in stock? I really only know 3 shops, The one on Pattakarn , Amarin & the place beside Lumpini. Any help or advice appreciated.Size is 1.95 X 26 Thanks

Sorry ‘snarky66’ I’ve only just seen this post of yours mate…….Asit happens I wouldn’t have been much good, I don’t know the shops you’retalking about, I live Chiangmai way…….But good to see you got sorted. Enjoy.

Tonto

hi guys if anyone is interested in getting a second hand bike, i would like to sell mine. its about 3 months old and in great shape. I paid almost 14k for it but willing to sell it for 11k. I'll throw in the Cateye Velo 8 computer and back/front lights as well. Its a GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc 2011. Its mostly white in colour. Based in Chiang Mai.