Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez admits having cancerous tumor removed

News_Editor

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez admits having cancerous tumor removed

2011-07-01 19:42:52 GMT+7 (ICT)

HAVANA, CUBA (BNO NEWS) -- The President of Venezuela Hugo Chavez on Thursday night admitted that a cancerous tumor had been surgically removed from his body by medical experts in Cuba.

Chavez spoke from Havana, Cuba where he was wrapping up a three-county tour that included Brazil and Ecuador. According to the Venezuelan President, his planned medical checkups in Cuba consisted of regular exams into a knee injury, of which he had been recovering.

However, during a meeting with former Cuban leader Fidel Castro on June 8, in which Castro suspected further health issues in Chavez, the Venezuelan President decided to take extended medical exams, and various medical analysis detected a tumor with cancerous cells in his pelvic area.

"I admit that from a medical standpoint, I was only planning to check by left knee, which has almost recovered from that injury I suffered in May," Chavez stated.

"This was how a strange formation was detected in my pelvic area, which required emergency surgery due to the imminent risk of a generalized infection," Chavez continued, confirming that on June 11, an initial surgery was carried out to drain the area and begin an antibiotic treatment that evolved positively,

According to Chavez, however, undetected cells were discovered during the surgery, and a second operation was conducted to remove a cancerous tumor.

"I appreciate the numerous and enthusiastic demonstrations of solidarity that I have received from the Venezuelan people and other fraternal nations, as from the State Departments and Government Offices from various countries," Chavez said.

The Venezuelan President also stated that he had been continually informed of government issues through the country's Executive Vice-President, Elias Jaua. He assured that he was recovering favorably from the situation, and that he was continuing to receive medical treatment and exams.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-01