Thaksin 'Clone' Set To Be Thai PM

webfact

my friend (thai female) even went with her sister to a 12hour ride from pattaya to Ubon to vote - no money only expenses.

Last time I checked, 'expenses' are money. If it's true that a particular party paid travel expenses, then that's scant different from a bribe, and could/should be grounds for annulling that particular political party. - if Election Commission (EC) rules are adhered to. Of course, EC rules won't be enforced in this case, even though vote-buying appears to have been typically endemic in this election, - for the same reasons Thaksin was allowed to walk free when he faced charges of laundering money via his chauffer and housemaid (the reason: he had just been placed in office, and (the court thought that) finding him guilty would enrage the electorate. Translation: it's ok to break the law in Thailand, if you're a high-up politician - but we already knew that.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All academic now -- Abhisit has publicly conceded defeat and indirectly suggested his exit from leadership of Democrats.

Well that's expected. He's through for now. Depending on what happens politically, a small chance of comeback someday, as he is still young.

Actually, he looked relieved more than anything, and was very gracious in defeat.

He asked his supporters to respect the new government, rather than asking his supporters to set fire to Bangkok.

He will soon find a more productive outlet for his talents than the bearpit of Thai politics.

Thaksin is already promising to bring the USD back to 40/THB and 30 million tourists a year in LOS - he has all but actually proclaimed himself the real PM. Ta-da! The joke is no longer just a joke. A whole nation (or at least most of it) has fallen for it.

I'd have to see a link to that. Thaksin is accused of a lot of things, but I don't remember anyone ever saying he was dumb. Although I would love it, there's no way the Bank of Thailand could lower the baht to 40:1 again. That would also lower the baht against the renminbi, and the Chinese would never allow it. I won't say he's never spoken about tourism, but I really don't think he'd make a promise like that. I think he learned his lesson when he promised to solve the Bangkok traffic problem within six months. Still, if you have a link send it along.

Khun Thaksin will probably be back in time for Songkran 2012

I'm sure he will be back much earlier than that date,I'm not so sure though if he will live to celebrate songkran 2012.

Why do you say that?

I guess there is no need to explain that,just read some news reports and you will know how justice is applied in Thailand.

Thaksin is already promising to bring the USD back to 40/THB and 30 million tourists a year in LOS - he has all but actually proclaimed himself the real PM. Ta-da! The joke is no longer just a joke. A whole nation (or at least most of it) has fallen for it.

40 Baht to the dollar. I all over that. LOL

"Thaskin 'Clone" set to be PM"

Real impartial headline that one!whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Hehe. Every story here on TV.com seems incredibly biased with right-wing type headlines...almost comical at times.

Explain what is right wing? Are we talking communist right wing or democratic right wing?

There is a difference, you know.

Everybody i spoke to here in thailand voting for Yingluck

Not surprising if your username is any indication what people you speak to.

Lovely people I am sure, but not very educated.

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

Not actually true but never mind.. Theres a clear correlation between IQ and wealth.

Theres the oft quoted study which listed 16.4 % of rural north easterners were technically retarded (IQ sub 70), thats not thai bashing, its the results of scientific study.. Bangkok statistically had a far more normal 2 - 3 % from memory.

Like it or loath it, the poor rural population isnt as smart on average.

Everybody i spoke to here in thailand voting for Yingluck

Not surprising if your username is any indication what people you speak to.

Lovely people I am sure, but not very educated.

The only difference between those from a privileged background to those from a less fortunate one is money- not IQ!

Think, or is it you are uneducated. There is a distinct difference between ignorance and stupidity. You will never find me saying that Thai people are stupid. The government keeps them uneducated so they will be ignorant.

thaksin or abhisit are the same.

Edited by Gonsalviz

While her business credentials are well known, observers say she has given few concrete clues about what kind of leader she would be.

Yet she wins a landslide. Government they deserve ... government they deserve.

Western mass media will celebrate it: she is a woman.

No they won't! They aren't that stupid. They know Thailand elected a puppet of a MAN. Not a victory for feminism at all.

Here in Oz, Julia Gillards "victory for feminism" is going to be a short lived one. Yingluck may do well to get in touch with other female leaders around the globe, her older brother's fear that she will be entering a lions den unprepared could turn out to be prophetic .

I guess we'll soon see which side is the smarter. If the PTP are then they won't try and immediately bring Thaksin back, but will take over running the country and slip him back some time with no fuss. The problem is, he likes to make a noise, and has already stated his intention to be here for his daughter's wedding. He probably sees it as a matter of face to be here then and hang the consequences. On the other side, the new opposition should let the PTP get on with trying to implement their policies, doing nothing unless an amnesty attempt is made, or gross mishandling/corruption of the country's finances is evident. I'd say after about a year, should it be proven that the PTP's policies are a load of bull, then let's see the opposition begin to agitate. Learn from the red shirts. Start paying people to make a noise, protest against corruption, force the government to react. We could see a year's calm, we could see a month's. It all depends on how each side handle it.

Khun Thaksin will probably be back in time for Songkran 2012

I'm sure he will be back much earlier than that date,I'm not so sure though if he will live to celebrate songkran 2012.

Why do you say that?

Because he has no respect for the rules. He's had his fill. He should let the next person have theirs. If not, then he will be taken out more forcibly than he was in 2006.

Personally I think this is a good thing for Thailand in a purely superficial way.

The biggest asset is going to be Yingluck herself.

She's going to be a huge media hit across the world.

She's well read, very articulate and lets face it...she is hot.

She's not articulate in English and hasn't faced a tough interview. Not to mention her refusal to debate.

She's not articulate in English ?? So what ?? She is THAI

It is time for the disgruntled, especially disgruntled farang to plug their mouth holes, and let the process take it's course.

So what? She won't come off as educated when meeting with major world leaders, as most of them are very fluent. That's why. Any other questions.

Well........ if convicted in a court, management by mobile....... and can still take over the country....... obviously a very smart man.

Maybe we need him (her ) back

dam_n, excellent thought.

Unfortunately, by saying that, you are now punishable by death. Now I'll unleash bands of Thaksin haters to come after you.

lol.

Edited by SkyHigh

Now we'll really see justice and democracy shine. The yellows and military have to respect the outcome, even if it were bought or not. Let the government run its course and see it PTP's lies (promises) ever come to fruition. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Of course though... the Reds don't care whether the government follows through with its "promises". They're as blind as blind can be. They probably don't even know what a 'government policy' is. They just know this: Thaksin = Happy. They don't know how that would be -- they were just told so. The Thai brainwashing system is truly amazing.

So yeah, I fully support the new government. Afterall, what more harm can they possibly do? The poor will remain poor. That's all good for them. They're used to it.

I'd worry about what the elite think though.

Personally I think this is a good thing for Thailand in a purely superficial way.

The biggest asset is going to be Yingluck herself.

She's going to be a huge media hit across the world.

She's well read, very articulate and lets face it...she is hot.

She's not articulate in English and hasn't faced a tough interview. Not to mention her refusal to debate.

She's not articulate in English ?? So what ?? She is THAI

It is time for the disgruntled, especially disgruntled farang to plug their mouth holes, and let the process take it's course.

So what? She won't come off as educated when meeting with major world leaders, as most of them are very fluent. That's why. Any other questions.

Yingluck appears to be a very attractive woman, that has worked in a highly competitive environment that is Telecommunications since the 1990's: she speaks fluent Thai? English is not her native language? My point is that I do believe she will get the message out.

Here in OZ we have a Welsh born female Prime Minister that is not getting the message out. Has her hands tied which is putting great strain on the decision making process.

Jingthing, if you have got some creditable substance to your theories please put up and share your thoughts; otherwise I am just seeing you pop up with garble that has no substance.

Come on! She did NO serious interviews in the press during the elections. She dodged any issues. She refused to debate. The softball interviews she did do, she came off like a typical office receptionist with unusual skill in PABLUM SPEAK. She's pretty, she's there because of her FAMILY. Her business experience too -- her family. Pure nepotism, corruption, 100 percent. Thais aren't worried because they know the truth, she could be a pretty gold chain, she isn't running anything, and never will. She will never appear on a show like Hard Talk, I guarantee that.

Edited by Jingthing

Come on! She did NO serious interviews in the press during the elections. She dodged any issues. She refused to debate. The softball interviews she did do, she came off like a typical office receptionist with unusual skill in PABLUM SPEAK. She's pretty, she's there because of her FAMILY. Her business experience too -- her family. Pure nepotism, corruption, 100 percent. Thais aren't worried because they know the truth, she could be a pretty gold chain, she isn't running anything, and never will. She will never appear on a show like Hard Talk, I guarantee that.

Oh Gawd. I saw an interview w her and the BangkokPost -- she was so outmatched even by the host who was thai! Course the thai host went through a proper education without having to pay 'extra' to obtain his degree. But here's sort of what the interview went like:

Host: People say that you won't actually be calling the shots, what do you say to that?

Yinluck: I will run the country in my style. I'll consult my brother, but it'll be in my style.

Host: What about rumours that you have no qualification with politics?

Yinluck: That silly. My brother was politician. My family full of politicians. OF COURSE ~I~ have qualify. Even my dog has qualifications.

Host: So how do you expect to solve the war on drugs in just a year?

Yinluck: Oh yes, yes. We have strategy. Yes. Strategy. Yes.

Host: What exactly is that strategy?

Yinluck: Oh yes, yes. Strategy. Yes. Strategy is strategy. You don't know strategy? Stupid man.

You get the idea.

What a load of self opinionated codswallop.May I remind you, that in 2009 , she was in contact with the American Ambassador, whose cable to America, stated that " I believe I have been speaking to the next Prime Minister of Thailand". That was in 2009. She is not a Johnny come lately. She has been well groomed.

Did he really say that? Link? Not doubting it, just that I get paid in USD so would be happy about that for sure!

Not heard that myself as a PTP policy but I am also not saying it isn't true either, but now important that we do find out whether it is true or not. From my experience of Foreign Exchange you may well see a fast and immediate strengthening of the Thai Baht brought about by the hopeful promise of some possible long awaited stability here. If this happens, and we do not see what is now any unlikely new turmoil here, then expect the US$/Thai Baht middle rate to drop below 30 and forget anything even remotely near 32 let alone 40!!! Indeed also the British Pound will likely drop back down into the low 48's or even 47's again this coming week. If the Baht is eventually devalued by the new Government then sure it would initially help us falangs living here whose income is paid their home currency, but do not forget that devaluation nearly always brings higher inflation too as needed imports like oil and raw materials rapidly rise in price, so any gains we see will be short lived and really a false windfall.

The true and real sustained way to get more Baht for the US$, or £ etc is to see our home currencies strengthen by better management of the attempted recovery from the serious financial crises we have in the west. Currently the too soon and too severe austerity measures will as I see it suppress much needed growth in the west and delay recover for many years. You may not have liked him, but Britain's George Brown was IMHO about the only one who actually got it right with his recovery measures before losing office and his carefully thought out and intelligent plans to secure the required growth would have worked so much better than what we see now in the UK and the Euro zone and USA too.