Nanny/Maid

kurnell

For the last 2 years I have hired both a nanny and a maid to take care of my 2 little girls and also do washing, cleaning etc but have never found the right combination. Either they don't get along for various reasons or one or the other leaves (usually unannounced) and the re-hiring starts again.

Now that one of the girls is in kindergarten for most of the day and the other girl (2 years) is quite mobile, is it unreasonable to expect a nanny to handle both kids while doing the cleaning, washing, ironing etc as well as meals for the 2 girls? Obviously I don't want to overload the nanny so much that she neglects the girls, so does anyone have any experience with a nanny that can handle this sort of workload?

Given that looking after 2 children (one in Kindy), doing the housework and cooking is something that most wives handle quite comfortably on their own, I don't understand why you would consider it an undue workload?

Given that looking after 2 children (one in Kindy), doing the housework and cooking is something that most wives handle quite comfortably on their own, I don't understand why you would consider it an undue workload?

Boy, I wish I was married to one of these "most wives" being referred to above. *sigh*. Well, back to work.

Are you talking about a live in housekeeper/maid/nanny? If yes that that iw way far from a "Workload" bye any standards. If you cant find one just use the maid service (you didn't say where you live) but in Pattaya there is one the equivilant of "Molly Maid" might even be that but these legite services are all over Thailand.

If not maybe hire a filipino gal they are hard workers and speak decent enough Engrish. lol. But by NO means is that a worl load dude.

Boy, I wish I was married to one of these "most wives" being referred to above. *sigh*. Well, back to work.

Super mom can do it but not without sacrifice. I have yet to see a mom who would do these things "comfortably" - sure it can be done but mostly because there is no other choice and mom performs super human feats on a near daily basis.

I am sure there's the odd exception but by and large taking care of the kids is a full time job, and so is doing the housework. For paid help you're not going to find one that can do both, it's not their kids after all...

My mom was working with 2 kids and no help but no way this was "comfortable". My aunt somehow managed to do housework while raising 6 - she claimed the first 2 are the hardest and it gets easier after that but I remember visiting her it was always a madhouse...all you need to do is take care of your little ones for a day to see for yourself... ;)

I saw a nanny trying to corral blonde boys 2-5 in a drugstore today. Personally I would not let our nanny take my girls out of our compound as I just don't think she has the attention span to care for them properly. However, the girl in the drugstore seemed very switched on.

Maybe the OP is not married or maybe he is alone with the children? If not, I agree with your post. :)

given that the opening poster is not married to "most wives" -it might be even fair to assume that he has no wife- and given that he was not asking for information what "most wives handle quite comfortably" and given that he is most probably not at all interested what you understand or don't understand...

:whistling:

Super mom can do it but not without sacrifice. I have yet to see a mom who would do these things "comfortably" - sure it can be done but mostly because there is no other choice and mom performs super human feats on a near daily basis.

I am sure there's the odd exception but by and large taking care of the kids is a full time job, and so is doing the housework. For paid help you're not going to find one that can do both, it's not their kids after all...

My mom was working with 2 kids and no help but no way this was "comfortable". My aunt somehow managed to do housework while raising 6 - she claimed the first 2 are the hardest and it gets easier after that but I remember visiting her it was always a madhouse...all you need to do is take care of your little ones for a day to see for yourself... ;)

My mom also never had problems raising me and my bro while doing housework. Does not sound that hard to me.

I was hoping to get a confirmation from another parent who has 1 nanny taking care of 2 kids, who also does housework.

I have 2 three-year-old boys. Even though they are in school all day, when they come home the nanny is normally too busy cooking and giving them baths. etc... to effectively keep an eye on both of them. I find that having a part-time cooking maid works best. I had the same problems you did in the beginning. Then I got the nanny to recommend one of her friends as the part-time cooking maid. That worked out great. Except for the fact that they spend way too much time gabbing away for my liking sometimes. :)

I was hoping to get a confirmation from another parent who has 1 nanny taking care of 2 kids, who also does housework.

I have 2 three-year-old boys. Even though they are in school all day, when they come home the nanny is normally too busy cooking and giving them baths. etc... to effectively keep an eye on both of them. I find that having a part-time cooking maid works best. I had the same problems you did in the beginning. Then I got the nanny to recommend one of her friends as the part-time cooking maid. That worked out great. Except for the fact that they spend way too much time gabbing away for my liking sometimes. :)

My first nanny spent so much time on the phone that my daughter kept walking around with the TV remote against her ear trying to copy her. I have asked our current nanny if she knows anyone but just receive blank looks

Nope. In fact, we have considered getting 3 people to help out for our twins plus the housework. Given the way the Thais raise children, it doesn't seem that you get good care unless you have a 1 on 1 arrangement. Many eons ago when I was a baby, my mother used to put me down in the playpen and go do the housework while I had to entertain myself. Thais, when confronted with a playpen, will simply fill it with junk and place the baby on the floor anyway demanding constant supervision to make sure they don't fall, get their fingers stuck in door jams, play with electrical outlets, etc. Feeding can't possibly be done in high chairs, which would allow efficiency. No, they have to chase the children around on the floor, thus leaving one of the twins to engage in mischief while the other tries to avoid eating.

No, you might be able to pull off what you suggest in the West, but here in Thailand the culture demands one baby, one nanny, and no double duty as a maid. They don't do things efficiently enough to handle both jobs.

I am not currently a parent however I think one may be enough in most places but here it would be better to have two as they provide company for each other and sanook is very important. What I would do is have slightly staggered hours though so that there was a full range of cover of time. Having them work the same hours is too long but two people could cover the week with 50% overlap of time.

Nope. In fact, we have considered getting 3 people to help out for our twins plus the housework. Given the way the Thais raise children, it doesn't seem that you get good care unless you have a 1 on 1 arrangement. Many eons ago when I was a baby, my mother used to put me down in the playpen and go do the housework while I had to entertain myself. Thais, when confronted with a playpen, will simply fill it with junk and place the baby on the floor anyway demanding constant supervision to make sure they don't fall, get their fingers stuck in door jams, play with electrical outlets, etc. Feeding can't possibly be done in high chairs, which would allow efficiency. No, they have to chase the children around on the floor, thus leaving one of the twins to engage in mischief while the other tries to avoid eating.

No, you might be able to pull off what you suggest in the West, but here in Thailand the culture demands one baby, one nanny, and no double duty as a maid. They don't do things efficiently enough to handle both jobs.

It must be a miracle that so many Thai children survive their youth. :whistling:

It must be a miracle that so many Thai children survive their youth. :whistling:

:D:thumbsup:

+1

Except it sounds like the OP is without a wife, so I can't blame him for wanting help.

:D:thumbsup:

My wife (after having quit work outsie the home) -- at her own insistence -- looks after 2 young children, cooks and (with help a couple times a month) cleans the house. She does it all extremely well.

And all this time I thought she was Thai and we weren't in the west.

Msz and I both work full time and get home between 6.30-7.30pm. Whenever we have had a 2 maid/nanny combination they have tended to disgree with each other, or one loafs while the other works and the worker finally gets pist off and leaves. We have never had one of these high priced Burmese nannies that I hear so much about, so I am keen to try.

Msz and I both work full time and get home between 6.30-7.30pm. Whenever we have had a 2 maid/nanny combination they have tended to disgree with each other, or one loafs while the other works and the worker finally gets pist off and leaves. We have never had one of these high priced Burmese nannies that I hear so much about, so I am keen to try.

It seems you had seperate jobs.....with a maid and a nanny, would combining both roles but using two people be better.

It seems you had seperate jobs.....with a maid and a nanny, would combining both roles but using two people be better.

I think that would make it even more difficult

Don't get me wrong; I see nothing wrong with getting help -- even it weren't absolutely necessary (which in your case, it clearly is) -- I just take exception to the idea that a Thai woman can not take care of children well (even while doing the rest of the duties of a housewife).

Why do both of you work full time when you have babies at home? I mean , do you want the maid or nanny to bring up you children?

Or did you made a mistake 2 times? :whistling:

Not surprising that they survive. Ladle that much attention on anyone and you can expect them to do well.

What is surprising to me however is that after accounting for childcare there are still resources left to run the economy. The inefficiencies generally adopted by Thai caregivers is staggering to watch. While it is always possible for an extremely organized and skilled person to handle the workload, by any honest assessment the methodologies used in child rearing in Thailand definitely do not assist the medium and low skilled persons in their task.