Thaksin Set For 'Trade Ambassador' Role

webfact

Thaksin set for 'trade ambassador' role

By PRAPAN JINDALERT-UDOMDEE,

NERISA NERYKHIEO,

KANITTHA THEPPAJON

THE NATION

30159584-01.jpg

Fugitive ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is likely to be appointed Thailand's "trade ambassador" in a government led by his sister Yingluck Shinawatra, a source from the Pheu Thai Party said yesterday.

The appointment is expected to be made after the formation of a Cabinet, according to the source.

Thanks to his good ties with leading business and political figures in many countries, plus his wide experience, Thaksin could prove helpful to a new government in promoting Thailand's interests in trade talks, the source said.

"In this position, he does not need to be directly involved with politics. He also will have the opportunity to travel freely to many countries," the source added.

Thaksin's legal adviser, Noppadon Pattama, said yesterday that he believed the ex-premier would be pleased with such an appointment.

"It is up to the [next] prime minister, and whether she is brave enough to appoint her brother to help with her government duties," Noppadon said, referring to Yingluck.

He added that a trade ambassador was not a political position and the officeholder would have no legal power.

"If he is appointed, I believe he will be happy. He can travel to different countries by using a passport issued [previously] by Montenegro," said Noppadon, who once served as foreign minister in a Thaksin-proxy government.

After it became clear that Pheu Thai had won Sunday's general election, Thaksin phoned leaders of the smaller political parties expected to join a new coalition, including Chart Thai Pattana, Chart Pattana Puea Pandin and Palang Chon, according to a source from one of the parties.

"The final decision [on the allocation of Cabinet posts] rests with Thaksin alone," said a source from Chart Pattana Puea Pandin, adding that Thaksin had not responded to the party's request for the energy minister's seat for its leader Wannarat Charnnukul, who is serving in the same portfolio in the outgoing government of Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The source said that due to Pheu Thai's having won a clear majority in the House of Representatives, Thaksin certainly had the upper hand in negotiations about the sharing of Cabinet seats with the smaller coalition partners.

"We will just have to pick what we consider best among the choices Thaksin offers us," the source added.

Another source from Chart Pattana Puea Pandin said Thaksin had called banned politician Suwat Liptapanlop, who is the party's de-facto leader, to talk about Cabinet posts.

Thaksin wants the party to offer one of the two Cabinet seats it would get to a faction led by Pinij Charusombat and Preecha Laohapongchana, according to the source.

Within Pheu Thai, its different factions are lobbying heavily for Cabinet seats with Thaksin and his close relatives, such as his sister Yaowapa Wongsawat and her husband, former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, a Pheu Thai source said.

Veteran politician Chalerm Yoobamrung is expected to be nominated the new House Speaker, but his faction wants him to become a Cabinet member instead.

However, other factions, such as those led by Apiwan Wiriyachai and Somsak Kiatsuranond, are also lobbying for them to assume the Speaker's post, the source said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-06

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not traveling on a Thai passport? Still a fugitive. An ambassador fugitive. Well, people will certainly want to meet with him for the novelty factor alone.

They're greasing the hole, aren't they?

Edited by Jingthing

""The final decision [on the allocation of Cabinet posts] rests with Thaksin alone," said a source from Chart Pattana Puea Pandin, adding that Thaksin had not responded to the party's request for the energy minister's seat for its leader Wannarat Charnnukul, who is serving in the same portfolio in the outgoing government of Abhisit Vejjajiva."

Really? What part of an elected government does a fugitive from justice occupy?

Thanks to his good ties with leading business and political figures in many countries, plus his wide experience, Thaksin could prove helpful to a new government in promoting Thailand's interests in trade talks, the source said.

"In this position, he does not need to be directly involved with politics. He also will have the opportunity to travel freely to many countries," the source added.

Thai government may appoint foreign lobbyist who just happens to be a fugitive convict in his own Thailand. Must be a bit of a slap in the face for the Thai judiciary system if this happens. Leading business figures probably couldn't care less, foreign politicians may be a bit more careful to associate with k. Thaksin. Trade Ambassador Thaksin, fair and square, 'trust me' :ermm:

Edited by rubl

This is, like, sooo brilliant. I really didn't think this satire could get any more farcical, but the charade is far from over. Shakespeare himself couldn't have done a better job of inventing the absurd.

As long as we're all aware that the Yingluck Govt has a shelf life that expires shortly after Thaksin returns.

Surely this is out of "NotTheNation".

A Thai Trade Ambassador traveling on a Montenegrin passport. :blink:

And with Thaksin's past of using his government positions to enrich his own companies, there's no doubt that there will be a cut in any deals with Thailand for himself.

It hasn't taken long for Pheu Thai to start showing their true colours and already start showing that they have no regard for the thai judiciary. I will start shortening the odds for the Army to be having to intervene in the country's politics yet again.

This is, like, sooo brilliant. I really didn't think this satire could get any more farcical, but the charade is far from over. Shakespeare himself couldn't have done a better job of inventing the absurd.

As long as we're all aware that the Yingluck Govt has a shelf life that expires shortly after Thaksin returns.

Yes it is brilliant. The former PM carries alot of clout in SE Asia, particularly in China. China has the ability to assist with multiple large scale development projects such as a modernization of the state railways and highways. China can also provide much needed foreign investment funds. He is also respected by some oil rich Gulf states, states that have the ability to ensure that Thailand has access to much needed oil and petro dollars for foreign investment. Once the Chinese are on board, the Koreans and Japanese will be falling over themselves while the USA wonders how it can best ingratiate itself with a strategic country. Not to forget that the Russians are arriving in droves. There's lots of oil wealth in Russia and it needs somewhere hospitable to go. The USA and EU are hardly the most stable economies are they?

It hasn't taken long for Pheu Thai to start showing their true colours and already start showing that they have no regard for the thai judiciary. I will start shortening the odds for the Army to be having to intervene in the country's politics yet again.

They aren't this stupid. They will in no time shuffle the military brass to ensure there will not be any coup going forward.

Again, not to worry. The Thai judiciary will have a role to play. Rest assured that justice will be served once the politically inspired criminal charges and conviction are vacated.

Well I hope that they continue to act as a watch dog, otherwise Yingluck & co might just go off the rails!

Surely this is out of "NotTheNation".

A Thai Trade Ambassador traveling on a Montenegrin passport. :blink:

And with Thaksin's past of using his government positions to enrich his own companies, there's no doubt that there will be a cut in any deals with Thailand for himself.

Yes this is so bizarre it must be made up.

If it is true then it did not take them long did it?

Reconciliation? What a joke.

Again, not to worry. The Thai judiciary will have a role to play. Rest assured that justice will be served once the politically inspired criminal charges and conviction are vacated.

Which 'politically inspired criminal charges' ? Please also keep in mind that a 'review' is not the same as 'vacate conviction and/or charges'. That depends on the outcome of the review.

They aren't this stupid. They will in no time shuffle the military brass to ensure there will not be any coup going forward.

I disagree! blink.gif

Which 'politically inspired criminal charges' ? Please also keep in mind that a 'review' is not the same as 'vacate conviction and/or charges'. That depends on the outcome of the review.

But the outcome depends on who's doing the review.

But the outcome depends on who's doing the review.

Oh dear me, here I was, thinking we were talking about justice :huh:

Edited by rubl

Yes it is brilliant. The former PM carries alot of clout in SE Asia, particularly in China. China has the ability to assist with multiple large scale development projects such as a modernization of the state railways and highways. China can also provide much needed foreign investment funds. He is also respected by some oil rich Gulf states, states that have the ability to ensure that Thailand has access to much needed oil and petro dollars for foreign investment. Once the Chinese are on board, the Koreans and Japanese will be falling over themselves while the USA wonders how it can best ingratiate itself with a strategic country. Not to forget that the Russians are arriving in droves. There's lots of oil wealth in Russia and it needs somewhere hospitable to go. The USA and EU are hardly the most stable economies are they?

I doubt now the international community is going to flock to Thailand to give all of their oil dollars and foreign investment to Thailand because Thaksin is going to be the trade ambassador. Instead, I think it will degrade the faith that all of these same people you mention will have in Thailand, and do the opposite. Also, are you saying once China completes it railway project from China, through Laos, Thailand and Malaysia, then the Koreans and Japanese are magically going to start investing here? Your article makes Thailand seem dependent on China to improve it roads and infrastructure, which is pathetic. And are you also saying the USA, which has a 200 year relationship with Thailand, is going to scramble? I highly doubt it that either the USA or the EU will scramble any faster than China or any Asian, Gulf country. BTW, I would assume the American and European economies are much more stable in the long run than the Gulf states and any SE Asian economy. You seem as intelligent as a PTP supporter, are you wearing red today? And hmmm, the Russian business reputation/model is not very well respected in the world, so hooray?

""The final decision [on the allocation of Cabinet posts] rests with Thaksin alone," said a source from Chart Pattana Puea Pandin, adding that Thaksin had not responded to the party's request for the energy minister's seat for its leader Wannarat Charnnukul, who is serving in the same portfolio in the outgoing government of Abhisit Vejjajiva."

Really? What part of an elected government does a fugitive from justice occupy?

NONE he just controls it.

I wonder which Shinawatra entities will be awarded the no bid contracts for Thai exports?

Something tells me there's going to be an export boom in Thai Silk based products.

And they might be a satellite or two to go along with it.

What is the status of IPStar?

Edited by steffi

Not the right move, not the right time

Taksin does not need to be appointed to any post

I am sure the World leaders are aware of his behind the curtain power likewise the trade and business world,

Taksin could promote Thailand from an independent role, this way he would be serving Thailand admirably

No one is stupid enough to believe that he is not going to be restored to high office sooner or later but later is better now is not the time.

They should prove to Thailand first that they can affect a turnaround of unity and the economy.