Date For Loy Krathong

Gallowspole

Does anyone know the date for next year's (2006) Loy Krathong festival in Bangkok? Apparently the fullmoon is on the 5th but the only info I can find on google (so far)has a hotel in Sukothai celebrating it between the 12th and 16th November.

My old man is booking his hols for next year and needs to know asap.

Thanks.

you can find lots of info at google "loi kratong"

feast "LOI KRATHONG" (ลอยกระทง) is a religious event that happens every year on the full moon of the 12th lunar month (first full moon day of November). All Thai people buy or make a "KRATHONG". It is made of styrofoam ( bad choise as it is not biodegradable) surrounded by banana leaves, with flowers and a candle at the middle. Then in the evening, Thai people go to places where there is a river, a pound to launch their "KRATHONG". In ancient times, this ceremony was to excuse one-self to the spirit of the river and to let float one's sins away. Little boys are allowed to take the coin when the candle of the krathong is lit off.

This year it will be on 15th November, next year, depends on the moon

it is wonderful in Chiang Mai, very romantic :o

just checked ..it will be 5th November

so same as the english guy night!!

I think the hotel you refer to is for 2005! the festival is three days, and those dates are for this year

so the 5-8th would prob be the best time in 2006

Edited by SiamOne

just checked ..it will be 5th November

so same as the english guy night!!

I think the hotel you refer to is for 2005!  the festival is three days, and those dates are for this year

so the 5-8th would prob be the best time in 2006

Their advert (The Pailyn Hotel, Sukothai) definitely states 2006. Could be a typo - I'll check with them later today. www.thailine.com/siamsun/sukothai.htm

Thanks

the full moon of the 12th lunar month (first full moon day of November).

My favourite Thai festival, is occassionally in October.

In Khon Kaen there are 2 Loy Grathongs. They have one at the end "awk Panssaaa", Buddhist Lent, which was 2 days ago.

The US doesn't celebrate Loy Grathong, so does it matter?

If Loy Krahtong is on Nov. 16 in Thailand does that mean the it is on Nov. 15 in the US?....because of the international date line thingy?

What date would Loy grathong be celebrated on the Moon? :o It wouldn't be a full moon, or would it?

Edited by Neeranam