Flying With Small Dog In Cabin To The Us

Has anyone who has ever taken a small dog or cat flying in the cabin to the US (Will be flying to either LAX or San Fran).

How easy was the process getting the pet clearance to enter the States ?

Who does this clearance and cheking the medical documents etc. Is it the Customs and Immigration officials there in the arrival area ?

I am considering taking my small Tsit Tzu in a approved Carry On Kennel Case (that fits under the seat) to the USA.

I understand the basic health and vaccination requirements required to both leave Thailand and enter the USA with a small dog.

I also plan to return with my dog the same way back to Thailand after being in the States for a few months.

Anyone experienced arriving in Thailand with a Pet ?

I would normally leave a pet here in Thailand, but this particular pet is so sensative to being left. She suffers severe seperation anxiety when left with family and friends for even a couple of days.

Don't need non constructive comments about pets. Just comments from persons who have traveled with pets in the cabin before and their thoughts and insights.

You will need an export permit for your pets. For us and our three cats, all we need to do is get a vet certificate then show a day or two before departure at the Vet place near the airport (sorry, don't remember the full name). Be sure to get that permit as there was a couple there that missed there flight because they did not have it.

We did go through the US, but our final destination was Canada, so I don't know if the same rule applied. But a person from the airport inspected the kennel.

You will also need to book your pets with the airlines and there will be a charge. Be sure to make it ahead of time as there is a maximum of animals in the plane per trip.

As to coming in to Thailand, it was extremely easy. Once you landed, you go to the pet and animals office (again, not the right name.. sorry) and registered your pet. You will need a vet health certificate and proof of vaccination. Be sure to have the address where you will stay..

All in all, we were nervous before leaving but it was extremely easy both way. Also, the stewardess will love you and will come often to your seat (but not too see you, hehehe)

If you have more question, don't hesitate to PM me)

Cheers and good luck

Thanks for the Info Kerm.

I was not sure if we needed an export permit, but apparently that is the case and we will do if traveling with my dog.

Would love to do all the traveling without putting my dog thru that, but as many of us know, our pets become part of the family. Especially if they are extra sensative and suffer seperation anxiety.

The way she reacts when we are gone for just a couple of days, I fear she would mourn herself to death.So I don't mind taking her along if it is possible. Luckily, she is a small Tiz Tsu and can travel in the cabin with us and not have to be subjectd to being Cargo.

As Kerm99 stated BOOK early, I also have taking my baby to Canada and back. The airlines I believe only allow one animal per flight or cabin.

Also check and double check your seat and aircraft type, they have those AVOD boxes under so many seats now, your approved kennel may not fit. I also was asked by a stupid fat old flight attendant on United if I had a LOCk for the kennel while on board, her excuse was just in case he escapes, she was so concerned she gave me a cable tie which was a pain to get off when I transfered in Chicago, she must have been a cat lover.

Into BKK is easy peasy, Canada as well as long as you have all of your documents in order, the one issue is a chip that is now required for Canada, no idea about the US of A.

I would call your vet in the USA and ask them to suggest a sedative, there is a natural one (sorry I cannot remember the name) I found the air pressure seems to get him excited on departure and arrival, I used gravol (anti naseau) for mine which I have from Canada vet suggested it.

My Lhasa LOVES ice cubes after his walkies, if you can train yours to eat small ice cubes you can ask the flight attendant so they are hydrated onboard, and finally my dog is papertrained so remeber to pack newspaper for arrival.

Good luck I know you will be more stressed than your baby but it is worth the hassle to have them with you.

hi willin bangkok ; another lhasa owner........ cooooooool.... but we are in israel .... just finished clipping lilee back for the second time this summer.... looks like a rat..... sorry off topic but like to meet lhasa owners......

bina