Phuket Plans Parks At Two Reservoirs

webfact

Phuket plans parks at two reservoirs

phuket-1-10629VjCmAKuLmkZXQXEXLOKZJPitwh.jpg

A view of Bang Neaw Dum reservoir in Phuket, which already has

limited recreational facilities.

phuket-4-10629ALcEawnXhOqQPoJxMZiwYnQmvB.jpg

A waterfall that feeds into the Bang Neaw Dum Reservoir in Phuket.

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization (OrBorJor) is looking to develop tourist parks and facilities at two dam sites.

A public hearing was held on Tuesday to gauge public opinion on a plan to turn areas surrounding Bang Wad Reservoir and Bang Neaw Dam Reservoir into eco-tourist destinations.

"The areas have good potential. They are accessible by main roads and surrounded by abundant forest," OrBorJor chairman Paiboon Upatising said.

The OrBorJor has already assigned a private company to prepare a master plan for area development and organize public hearings under a Bt7.9-million budget.

"A suitable budget for the project is expected to be allocated by the 2014 fiscal year," Mr Paiboon said.

Pisut Technology executive Songkrit Sanphakit said for the Bang Wad Dam in Kathu, development was likely to mean parking areas, public parks, meeting facilities, accommodation services for visitors, playgrounds as well as restaurants, orchid farms or floral orchards, and adventure zones.

"Kayaking and rope bridges are included in the plan," Mr Songkrit said.

For the Bang Neaw Dam Reservoir in Thepkrasattri sub-district, plans will include accommodation, a camping area, parks, playground and a medium-sized sports center.

"We are working at a plan. All details should be in place by December," Mr Songkrit added.

Construction costs are likely to range from 200 million baht to 500 million baht, he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-07-07

Now this sounds a terrific idea. Not often local gov comes up with useful ideas. We often go to Bang Wad for a stroll and bath in the pools at the waterfall. This would make a great tourist and local attraction. But we will have to wait a long long time ...

"A suitable budget for the project is expected to be allocated by the 2014 fiscal year," Mr Paiboon said.

We often go to Bang Wad for a stroll and bath in the pools at the waterfall.

Have you done so recently? I did the same when I first moved to Phuket in 2001 and was living in Kathu. I took the gf there a few months ago to find the waterfall/pool area looking as though it had been abandoned as a family recreation area long ago. Jungle growth, broken glass, garbage, dilapidated and graffiti'd outbuildings, and surrounded by barbed wire.

We often go to Bang Wad for a stroll and bath in the pools at the waterfall.

Have you done so recently? I did the same when I first moved to Phuket in 2001 and was living in Kathu. I took the gf there a few months ago to find the waterfall/pool area looking as though it had been abandoned as a family recreation area long ago. Jungle growth, broken glass, garbage, dilapidated and graffiti'd outbuildings, and surrounded by barbed wire.

Have to admit that it's been a year or so since we were last there. We will have a look in the next few days.

"Abundant forest", really? It's all rubber trees! Yes, it's pleasant, but hardly any of it is natural foliage. Almost no animals live in toxic rubber plantations.

Much of the initial work (figuring out the trails system) was done by a US university student, so they saved some money there.