Thailand's Democrats Seek Ban On Thaksin Party

webfact

... it seems the best thing for them to do at this point would be to grin and bear it and let the PT hang themselves with their own rope.

That is the way that the Australian federal opposition has been doing it for the past year, and it seems to be working a treat. Just shutup and give the government all the rope it asks for, and see what they do with it. Excellent political tactics if you have a little patience. Great idea.

You can't compare Oz politics with Thai politics. You don't have coups there or red revolutionary mobs closing down your capital, throwing blood on your PM's private home, etc.

I can. There are many similaritiies between the politics in Australia and Thailand. Both are monarchies, both have endured minority governments recently, and both have enjoyed a female prime minister for the first time. Australians don't throw blood at people's front gates, (we throw molotov cocktails, just to get the point across), but they do have the same revolutions when necessary.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fact is it appeared to honor the rule of law when the PTP won a lot of seats, fair enough. And now it appears to also follow the rule of law that the Dems get to sue for election fraud. What's the problem either way?

blink.gif

Now if the Dem's were trying to sue, there would be a problem. What the Dem's did was "ask the Election Commission (EC) to recommend the abolition of Puea Thai, the winner of Sunday's election, on the grounds that disqualified politicians were involved in its campaign." A significant difference, my dear chap. As this request has been filed properly and within seven days of the election the EC has to look into it and make a recommendation. That might be 'insufficient proof', or 'sufficient proof' which would require them to ask some court to rule on the accusation. Not something which can be decided and documented in just one or two months. I'd almost say guaranteed fun till the end of the year <_<

Argue the merits/demerits of this action as much as you like. It is still the opening salvo and the signal that the elite intend to fight any attempt to change the status quo by whatever means are required. There will be blood.

Indeed Roamer. Ms. Bino got the following in a "broadcast email" today from friends / colleagues... a billboard beside the expressway that says "Welcome back home, cheater!"

post-18167-0-00426700-1310134066_thumb.j

Obviously sponsored by someone in the Bangkok elite. Gonna be messy.

Edited by bino

Such an irony that a few years ago, all the news was Thaksin's 'sour grapes', and look at us now, won't you? I'm getting back to work before the night is over, but thank you for the discussion and hope to check in again tomorrow. Goodnight all, and sweet dreams. Norn laab faan dee, kap.

Democrat & leaders seems to have very short memory. They had forgotten how they got into power by wooing the banned politician Newin and others with flowers to form the government. No one seems to bothered to complain to EC for dissolution of the parties concerned. Now the Democrat lost in this election and instead of being a positive opposition and respecting the people's decision, they became sour grapes and hope for a second term in office.

Grabbing power for the second time through dissolution of other political party would be tough this time and there are consequences. Obviously Democrat is aiming for this, but lets hope the EC could rule fairly for the sake of the country and not getting rid of PTP on technicalities.

If and only if Pheu Thai would be ruled against and a court would judge the accusation as true and would dissolve Pheu Thai and some executives, that would still leave most MP's as MP's. A fallback party has been setup already, Ms. Yingluck might still be PM (she's not a party executive as far as I know).

What will have happened is that as required by Election Law a Thai person or legal entity filed a request with the EC to investigate irregularities. Some 190 cases are being investigated, this here is only one of them. Following the reasoning of some, all cases should not have been filed? Just accept the will of 44% of the population which voted Pheu Thai? Ignore all others as unimportant? Democracy, Pheu Thai style? 'Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts', or as some said a few weeks before 'one man, one party, no compromise' :(

There will be blood? Perhaps, probably, who knows? I guess the question might be who's blood. Irrational exuberance that this recent election actually solved anything was premature.

Blood is one of The Red Shirts favourites, if memory serves me right.

cheesy.gifI love this emoticon it just works so well when it comes to this topic. I say bring it on. Parliament is not above the law nor the constitution. PTP has bluntly snub their noses which they can't seem to see past and shadow walk around the law. Democracy means respecting the law which they have ignored over and over seeing how close they can smudge the line of clarity. I say go ahead Reds do what you all got to do. I don't believe the noodle story is legit that in itself is a joke and undermines the intent. It is the hard line reds that are jockeying for positions and banned politicians including Thaskin being directly involved but trying to look like their notcheesy.gif. Go after the Dems for their misdeeds as well. Time to clean up the pig stye of politics in this country. No matter what no one is above the law

... it seems the best thing for them to do at this point would be to grin and bear it and let the PT hang themselves with their own rope.

That is the way that the Australian federal opposition has been doing it for the past year, and it seems to be working a treat. Just shutup and give the government all the rope it asks for, and see what they do with it. Excellent political tactics if you have a little patience. Great idea.

You can't compare Oz politics with Thai politics. You don't have coups there or red revolutionary mobs closing down your capital, throwing blood on your PM's private home, etc.

Yeah but our political parties sack their own members if they come under corruption cloud, and most Australians absolutely would not vote for a politician they thought was corrupt, regardless of party lines. The general population has a very healthy scepticism of your average politician and that's a good thing. Politicians aren't hard to replace.

No sir no such thing, I am not used to living in any country, you suggest I bring political views from the West that would not apply here, not so

The people vote, if they have the majority and someone does not like it, regardless if it is right or wrong, then tough luck

Sir if you want to argue, then most laws are wrong simply because they are aginst the wishes of the people

God bless those that know better than the idiots, that just got left out on the sermon on the mount, perhaps he ran out of time

What a stupid thing to say. What's your take on elections in North Korea?

One man, one party, no compromise :whistling:

The problem is, that this has been going on for almost five years now. Why not just be a good loser and let Thailand get back to normal life again, without all these military coups and sleights on democracy?

Then again, I guess military coups and sleights on democracy are normal life in Thailand. Bring on the sanuk, Abhisit.

One could turn that around and ask why you weren't a good loser after the coup in accepting that the military has final say in running the country. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Anyone who has a belief, right or wrong, should fight (figuatively speaking) for what they believe. Thailand society is going through a rebirth and life will never be 'normal' again.

The problem is, that this has been going on for almost five years now. Why not just be a good loser and let Thailand get back to normal life again, without all these military coups and sleights on democracy?

Then again, I guess military coups and sleights on democracy are normal life in Thailand. Bring on the sanuk, Abhisit.

One could turn that around and ask why you weren't a good loser after the coup in accepting that the military has final say in running the country. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Anyone who has a belief, right or wrong, should fight (figuatively speaking) for what they believe. Thailand society is going through a rebirth and life will never be 'normal' again.

Mr Moran I believe, felt that it was perfectly acceptable to throw blood around parliament last year, intimidate government officials and riot. He has a history of supporting Red Shirts and lawlessness.

The majority of Thai voters voted for PT. That same majority know that paying-for-votes is illegal and also know that PT's upper crust is corrupt - but they still voted for them!

The majority has spoken. Let them have their cake and eat it too, even though the cake they've chosen is rotten.

This maneuvering by a few Dems can only serve to cause deeper rifts and Red / Yellow / Others demonstrating and shooting Thailand in its already hole-ridden feet.

P.S. I have no love for PT and the vacillating lady put in charge by her brother, but I have greater disdain for armed insurrection within Thailand.

The ruling elite will not stop with their attempts to hold onto power at all cost until Thailand ends up in a civil war and the unspeakable happens. It has happened in other countries and it will sooner or later happen in Thailand. You cannot suppress the voices of your people forever and expect to get away with it.

The ruling elite will not stop with their attempts to hold onto power at all cost until Thailand ends up in a civil war and the unspeakable happens. It has happened in other countries and it will sooner or later happen in Thailand. You cannot suppress the voices of your people forever and expect to get away with it.

Welcome to this discussion, mock rat. What took you so long?

Mind you, you probably just woke up. This topic is on 'Democrats chastised for ruthlessly asking the EC to investigate Pheu Thai'. Nothing to do with 'elite', just democracy in action.

Stay cool, drink some coffee and keep smiling :)

I'm on holidays.

No sir no such thing, I am not used to living in any country, you suggest I bring political views from the West that would not apply here, not so

The people vote, if they have the majority and someone does not like it, regardless if it is right or wrong, then tough luck

Sir if you want to argue, then most laws are wrong simply because they are aginst the wishes of the people

God bless those that know better than the idiots, that just got left out on the sermon on the mount, perhaps he ran out of time

What a stupid thing to say. What's your take on elections in North Korea?

I dont f----g live in North Korea

So basically, you're advocating despotism because its a traditional Eastern value? Nice argument you got going there, very persuasive. :D

Which ruling elite are you talking about? The one we have now or the one we had last week?

Which ruling elite are you talking about? The one we have now or the one we had last week?

Both. They're not good at sharing, but they have to do it anyway.

I'm on holidays.

No offence meant, just asking. You really have nothing better to do on your holiday ?

(edit: rephrased, One of these days I'll learn proper English, promise)

Edited by rubl

I'm on holidays.

Any chance for this being a forever status from now on?

On another hand, a thread about the reds and co without you is a bit dull.

Your comments are always so predictable...

well they made a rod for there backs again so good for the dems and flush more of the shit down the shit hole.best news all week

In the context of Thai politics over the last hundred years or so, is it just unfortunate timing for PTP voters that everyone is suddenly hell bent on enforcing laws and bringing corrupt politicians to book at the same time as when Thaksin has been taking center stage?

Edited by hanuman1

I think that the most offensive thing mentioned in the OP is that some clown has accused Yingluck of handing out free bowls of noodles at a rally. The implication is that PTP voters are so stupid that their votes could be bought for a free bowl of noodles. If I was a Thai I would find that racially offensive.

This move by the so-called Democrats was all too predictable. Unless they and the people who skulk behind them catch themselves on they run a serious risk of plunging Thailand into a civil war. The freely expressed will of roughly 60% of the electorate can not be overturned.