Getting Married

goonerone

Hi guys

I am going to Thailand Christmas to marry my girl friend we have been together for over 5 years now so I thought its about time, what I want to know is do I need to go to the UK embassy in Bangkok to get the papers sorted or can I get it do at the Embassy here in the UK. before I go to Thailand

Kind wishes

Steve

The letter must be done at UK Embassy/Consulate in Thailand and has more information than you not being married required. It must then translated and registered at the MFA in Bangkok. But you can download the sample letter from the Embassy web site and type it up with your information to have ready. Should not take more than 24 hours or so if you are in a hurry. If outside of Bangkok will take longer as you would have to use a translation service to register the document with MFA.

All you need is a sworn statement to say you are not married in the UK. You can do that here or in the UK, if it is in Thai. Happy trails. Jim

It cannot be done in the UK.

As Lopburi3 says, Thai law requires the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry to be notarised by a consular official at the British embassy in Bangkok and the Thai translation certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

See Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand