Buffet Lunch/Dinner

chuang

I tried Khun Churn yesterday for the first time, and it was good. Is it still 99 THB, or has the price risen? It cost me 129 THB, even though I did not order anything extra. Or are there some self-serve items that cost extra, like the drinks and tea, or dessert?

Price increase... like so many other places (Korean buffet, Why Not, massage etc)

I wonder if 33% increase is an annual thing or once every X years thing.

Can others confirm that the price is now 129 THB? In my case I was thinking that some other table ordered extra items and the waiter mistakenly put it on my table's bill.

129 THB is still not bad, but it's getting close to the cost of Grandview's buffet which costs 164 THB and has more expensive items, like meat dishes.

Yes the price at K Churn is now 129 baht. Has been for a couple of months now. Still good value in my opinion and you also get the advantage of MSG free food.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he last time I went to Khun Churn over 2 years ago, the buffet was 85b which I thought was overpriced for vegetable only buffet that wasn't even organic. Back then, vegetables were dirt cheap but I got really turned off by their watered down carrot juice.

I do like cheap buffets, so if 85 THB is overpriced for you, what are the cheap places these days in or near the city (not too far out)?

I've been to Rattanakosin hotel a few times, and the food is not bad, but the loud music is annoying, especially the cringeful amateur karaoke by some of the customers. I was making bad faces last time I went. I have thought of wearing earplugs if I go there again in future.

If you read what I wrote carefully, I wrote that I thought that over 2 years ago, the 85B was overpriced. Today at 129B, I still consider it overpriced for vegetarian only foods. I agree that Rattanakosin hotel is still a good value and go to their buffet about once a week. Their 79B price hasn't changed over the last 2 years, although they do have a few less dishes. I am not aware of any "all u can eat" buffets that is cheaper. One buffet that is a great value, if you enjoy sashimi as opposed to sushi, is the Oisha Japanese buffet on the 4th floor Airport plaza but at 430B, it isn't cheap. My wife loves salmon sashimi so we do that one almost twice a month.

The Shangri-La hotel just south of the night bazaar had a very cheap all-you-can-eat Italian lunch deal a couple of years ago, though I'm not sure if they still do it. The menu was a selection of pasta dishes and pizzas made-to-order, plus cakes (one I still remember had a small chocolate part that was covered in gold!). The hotel venue itself was ultimate luxury. It was a treat to hang around the different parts of the magnificent hotel after the satisfying meal. What all-you-can-eat deals do they have there these days?

It's Monday to Friday 11.30 - 14.00 299Baht++

There is now more choice, as said, pasta and pizza, salad, soups, sushi and a choice of 4/5 hot dishes, western and asian plus a wonderful choice of deserts and ice-cream.

I think it was around 170 THB when I went 2 or 3 years ago, but it only had a small selection as I mentioned above (some pizzas, some pasta dishes and cakes), but it was still a bargain for such fine luxurious dining. It's probably the most luxurious restaurant and hotel I've ever dined at (though the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi buffet which I intend to try some time may change that).

With all those extras it now sounds like a full and varied buffet, so around 360 THB (after tax & service charge) is not bad.

It was 199 Baht last year when I first went but the increase is justified with the new dishes, you can also apply for their gold card, free of charge, which gives you 10% off.

great thread. Thanks. I will go try the 129 baht vegi buffet, since i do not eat meat. Sounds a little over priced for veggie buffet but maybe its worth it.

well, im there now (khun cHurn). Very nice buffet. Def worth the money. Its not your usual thai veg restaurant fare. Nice selection, good quality, herbal tea drinks included in the price. Will be back regurlarly.

• 4 months later...

I recently sampled an excellent weekday buffet lunch for Baht 189.- at the Siripanna Villa Resort (36 Rat Uthit Road - near the railway station)

Very good value, particularly since the price is nett, inclusive of 10% service and 7% VAT (which many hotels like to conceal behind those nasty little '++' symbols) and also includes drinking water (which some hotels charge excessive amounts for)

Although the exterior of this resort looks quite unremarkable, it actually hides a spectacular 13-rai garden interior which is a delight to stroll around, and I very much enjoyed this discovery. Although it has a high TripAdvisor rating (currently #3 Top of the top 25 Hotels in Thailand) I get the feeling that not many residents know about it - I had never heard of this property before.

Worth a visit therefore - even if just to admire the huge garden and tasteful interiors.

I've never been so can't say either way. just wanted to point out a quirk with Tripadvisor. The Siripanna is rated #7 in Chiang Mai and is rated #3 in Thailand.

I recently sampled an excellent weekday buffet lunch for Baht 189.- at the Siripanna Villa Resort (36 Rat Uthit Road - near the railway station)

Very good value, particularly since the price is nett, inclusive of 10% service and 7% VAT (which many hotels like to conceal behind those nasty little '++' symbols) and also includes drinking water (which some hotels charge excessive amounts for)

Although the exterior of this resort looks quite unremarkable, it actually hides a spectacular 13-rai garden interior which is a delight to stroll around, and I very much enjoyed this discovery. Although it has a high TripAdvisor rating (currently #3 Top of the top 25 Hotels in Thailand) I get the feeling that not many residents know about it - I had never heard of this property before.

Worth a visit therefore - even if just to admire the huge garden and tasteful interiors.

Siripanna is a nice place. Popular with Thai tourists. The grounds are indeed nice and the (many) rooms are very beautiful and comfortable. A girl who works there told me that the place has never once been 50% occupied - no surprise there. The farang that runs one of the two restaurants there is a very nice guy. He used to have 39 Baht specials between 11:39-14:39 on all kinds of good stuff expertly prepared like Caesar salad, pizza, pasta, and khao soi, and a couple of other Thai dishes. This was a fantastic bargain and we used to go 2-3 times per week for many weeks. Then it stopped and then it re-started again but this time the portions were like a tiny appetizer size. I mean you had to order 4 dishes each just to feel satisfied and I don't mean stuffed. It's too bad but I totally understand with food prices climbing daily it could not continue like it was.

• 2 months later...

About 6 months ago, my wife and I passed a Korean buffet in one of the streets off of Niemanheiman. It was the weekend and there was no buffet. Unfortunately, we didn't note the address or the name. We want to try it last week and searched and searched but couldn't find the place. We remembered the a small GH/hotel used by Koreans that was next to it but could find this building. The price was quite low at the time, between 119B and 139B. We kept passing another Korean buffet but that was a lot higher.

Misone on Soi #7.

About 6 months ago, my wife and I passed a Korean buffet in one of the streets off of Niemanheiman. It was the weekend and there was no buffet. Unfortunately, we didn't note the address or the name. We want to try it last week and searched and searched but couldn't find the place. We remembered the a small GH/hotel used by Koreans that was next to it but could find this building. The price was quite low at the time, between 119B and 139B. We kept passing another Korean buffet but that was a lot higher.

Misone on Soi #7.

Yep that's the one, thanks! Just found their website and saw the same sign.

We want to check it out 1st to see if it is worth trying.

I tried it about 3-4 years ago. I went back about a year and a half ago to see if it had improved. I haven't been back since. And I live within easy walking distance.

I see on their 'SpecIal Promotions' page, that Siripanna does a BBQ buffet dinner on Fri and Sat night 599 baht....has anyone been? Any good? What actually is available? Worth the money?

Before some cynic asks.....nooooo I don't have anything to do with the place, never been there!

Also, OP, the lunchtime menu...what was available?

Edited by kjhbigv

The Mrs. and I went to the Holiday Inn's lunch buffet yesterday. The food was nice as usual. I had only one small disappointment, the price. It has increased to 230B but this now includes tea and coffee so I guess the increase was not toooo inflationary.

Today was the GF's b'day. I decided to opt for treating her to the best international buffet I could find at a nice hotel as one of the b'day presents. We have some favorite restaurants, but eat at those frequently when not dining at home, so I wanted something different. I went around to some of the recommended buffets this week just to look them over at lunch time. I guess everyone has different tastes and maybe some places have off days, but I have never stopped by the Grandview in the past few years and seen anything appealing (despite seeing others here talk about the place having value for money). I ate there once about 7 years ago and though the price was low I did not feel that I did my stomach a good service. Different strokes.....

Back to the main topic. I was debating between the Holiday Inn and the Shangri-La based on what I had seen posted about food quality. The ambiance at the SL won me over hands down and so I figured it would be worth the extra 125 baht each over the H I. buffet. I was ready to plop down 355++ each for a nice one time lunch experience. I stopped by yesterday and booked us for today. Even yesterday the staff was very warm and accommodating. I mentioned we were vegetarian and they said they would make sure that we had plenty of selection. They asked if I would like a complimentary birthday cake. I said sure, if the pastry chef could make an eggless cake. A quick call to the kitchen confirmed that they indeed could.

Now the report gets even better. We started off at the pizza counter today where we each grabbed a quick slice of two different vegetarian pizzas that had just been put out and the pizza chef offered to make us a pie of our choosing, which he did and which was fantastic with about 6 different toppings as well as enough extra mozzarella to sink a ship. We grabbed some sushi as well and were informed that they had also already prepared special for us som tum without shrimp as well as a vegetarian green curry and veggie stir fry, all of which they brought to our table. We could only sample the tiniest amount of the salad bar and other items before we had to give it up. We arrived hungry at 11:30 and paced ourselves over a leisurely lunch but by 1:30 we were replete with what had been very fine food indeed. And then they came out with the birthday cake! We sang happy birthday to my GF and then dug into what has to be one of the finest cakes I have ever eaten (a very moist fudgy dark chocolate raspberry layer cake). And yes, definitely eggless. Our senses were pleased on every level. Really tasty food, refined ambiance and a genuinely friendly and accommodating staff. (And I am still not sure where I found room for that excellent cake)

Finally comes time to pay the piper. First I was wrong about the price. 355 per person already included the service and tax. Nice surprise. Then they asked if I was a member or had an AmEx card. Not a member, but do have an AmEx card. They are running a promotion through Dec where you get a 15% discount if paying with AmEx. Another nice surprise and so I pulled out one of my gold AmEx business cards. But when they handed me the bill to sign the TOTAL charge for both buffets including tax and service was only 355. I looked it over to see what the mistake was - but seemingly no mistake. The total before service, tax and discount was 602.xx but the discount was listed as something like AmEx premium plus one and was 301.xx baht. So with tax and service added in it came to the final figure of 355 baht for an exquisite lunch for two that lasted nearly 3 hours in a very fine environment. Well not exactly final figure. I couldn't help but be a bit generous with additional tip on top of the service charge for service above and beyond...

Needless to say we will be going back again while AmEx is running this promotion and see if it is still so generous a discount with my card. Maybe not too often though, unless I can limit myself to salad items more than pizza and other fattening items (I have no desire to add extra kilos to the waistline). Though I have a weakness when it comes to delicious food and my only defense has been to avoid good quality buffets. I will post again after we next venture over to the Shangri-La

• 2 months later...

BTW, the reason for the half price was that they were (and I think still are till end of Sept) running a buy 1 get 1 free promo with the AmEx card. So go in even numbers for the best discount (the 3rd or 5th or 7th person is still the full price).

But I have not gone in months, since I prefer the healthy, organic and down home nature of the food at Pun Pun or Bird's nest. And I walk away full for less than 178 baht per person so no need for a buffet. But for an occasional one-off the SL is very nice (especially while the half price lasts). And I am fairly sure that is for both lunch and dinner. "American Express - Don't leave home without it." tongue.png

Korean BBQ sounds good. Can you give a little more info on the location?

There are many. I take my family to the Korean BBQ Buffet near the post office just across from the Moat. I think it is 140 Bt. a person. Some is cooked and some you cook at the table. I also like the buffet at the Shangra LA. It is expensive at just under 400 Bt. However with all the choices and wonderful food I do call it a "Value for the money"

I am guessing he is talking about mu gata, (?) maybe the one near Suan Priung post office. outside the southwest corner of the moat.

D you mean North East corner there is one there.

Just came to me there is one closr to the South West corner. I believe it is not Korean strictly speaking.

• 5 months later...

went tothe grandview for lunch today wasnt expecting anything special for 170b but was surpised really good selections of cold cuts and mains the tomatoe cream soup was the best ive had in thailand and ive been here a long time would recommend it to anyone the orange dip crepes looked great but was to full to try will be going back sunday as its 170b 7 days a week so with the other half and saucepan lids (kids for the non cockneys) its a good cheap lunch but with a bit of quality included water and coffee in the price .think they have a new fan (*_*)..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Grandview continues to be a great value for lunch, but they recently raised their prices to 180 baht. A notch down on the quality scale is the 150 baht buffet at the Chiang Mai Hill Hotel on Huey Kaew just east of Canal Rd. The noise level is much lower at CM Hill, but the buffet isn't as extensive as the Grandview.

Hubby and I had lunch at Le Meridien buffet today -- a little pricey at 450 baht, but there's a discount if you get their member card. But, it was W-A-Y better than the Grandview -- roast beef, roast pork, many imported cheeses, fabulous salads and extensive desserts, including two kinds of cheesecake. Most of the dishes were unusual and memorable. Definitely a nice treat.

Edited by NancyL

The Grandview continues

Hubby and I had lunch at Le Meridien buffet today -- a little pricey at 450 baht, but there's a discount if you get their member card. But, it was W-A-Y better than the Grandview -- roast beef, roast pork, many imported cheeses, fabulous salads and extensive desserts, including two kinds of cheesecake. Most of the dishes were unusual and memorable. Definitely a nice treat.

I remember when the Holiday Inn - I think it was called the Westin back then - had a similar buffet for 150 baht. Those were the days.