Buffet Lunch/Dinner

chuang

I had the misfortune to take the advice of one of the contributors to this site and went to the Grand View for their buffet. What a mistake. All Thai, despite advice that there was Westren food. That's OK I like Thai. But not this time. After sampling a few of dishes, and leaving them, I had a boiled egg, some lettuce and tomato. They were OK. Hot dishes were tepid, cold dishes were limp warm. I was the lucky one. My friend spent some considerable time in the bathroom which he blames on their curry. Save your money and eat elsewhere, anywhere else.

Nonsense. I've been there perhaps 10 times and they always have Western food. I don't believe that there was only Thai food when you went. The Japanese section is not really Japanese, it's that Thai style of "sushi" that is sweet and has no fresh fish. I think it's good value for the money and no one I know that's been there has ever complained of being sick afterwards.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least once per week over the past year have enjoyed

the luncheon buffet at the Grandview. Good value for

the money and a good selection of Thai, Japanese and Western

food. So far, have had no ill effects from dining

there.

I had the misfortune to take the advice of one of the contributors to this site and went to the Grand View for their buffet. What a mistake. All Thai, despite advice that there was Westren food. That's OK I like Thai. But not this time. After sampling a few of dishes, and leaving them, I had a boiled egg, some lettuce and tomato. They were OK. Hot dishes were tepid, cold dishes were limp warm. I was the lucky one. My friend spent some considerable time in the bathroom which he blames on their curry. Save your money and eat elsewhere, anywhere else

I do not know who is pulling your string but what a load of crap I have been going for 3 years and it allways has european food for value for money it is the best in Chiang Mai not perfect but what is

I have a really sensitive stomach sometimes and i eat at the grandview a least once a week for the last 3 years and have never had a problem i think it's all about timing if you get there by 11 30-12 the food will always be good and they always have western food the op is complaining about the grand view but this is having the opposite effect as people are coming out and saying how good the place is i love the place the staff are always friendly they are so quick to come and take your plates I rate it as one of the best places to eat in chiang mai ok the quality of the food is not michelin star or anything but for the price it is the best in changgers by far.

I had the misfortune to take the advice of one of the contributors to this site and went to the Grand View for their buffet. What a mistake. All Thai, despite advice that there was Westren food. That's OK I like Thai. But not this time. After sampling a few of dishes, and leaving them, I had a boiled egg, some lettuce and tomato. They were OK. Hot dishes were tepid, cold dishes were limp warm. I was the lucky one. My friend spent some considerable time in the bathroom which he blames on their curry. Save your money and eat elsewhere, anywhere else.

Sounds like your place isn't doing much business at lunchtime?

Sounds like your place isn't doing much business at lunchtime?

:lol:

IMHO, the Grandview is a great deal for the price.

First-time poster Saan didn't realize he was going to bring out all the Grandview fans!

It could be the MacWalen 'system' of getting people's attention. wink.gif

Perhaps, but I don't think any of the management staff at Grandview has either the time or inclination to try to generate buzz on Thai Visa. If "Saan" has time on his hands and is trying to drum up business for his restaurant, well -- it didn't work.

Gotta go -- I'm off to Grandview for lunch!

In all fairness to the Grandview, when I posted above "I've been there several times and at worst it was average . . . " I was referring to some time ago (years), which was prior to the nominal price increase (25THB) accompanied by a significant increase in quality and choices. There is a very good selection of foods, both Thai and Western, which is unmatched in my experience for the very low price of approximately 150THB. And the service has always been top rate.

Edited by venturalaw

Stopped in the Grandview for lunch today. It has quite a variety of different foods, hot and cold, thai and international. The service is great, they are really on their toes. The food is not what i would call amazing, but very good overall. But for a price of 152B its a great deal

Hello Saan,

Had my lunch at Grand View again today. Given your warning I decided to look more critically at the fare.

Sorry Saan - your posting was wildly off the mark. I have also been waiting and watching for the slightest signs of tummy upset.

Sorry again Saan - you're still wildly off the mark.

Are you sure you're talking about the Grand View Hotel on the Superhighway ?

I'd say you must be having an exceptionally difficult time finding a restaurant to satisfy you. Good luck, anyway...and do let us know when you've found one that offers better value:fare.

Cheers.

Korean BBQ sounds good. Can you give a little more info on the location?

There are many. I take my family to the Korean BBQ Buffet near the post office just across from the Moat. I think it is 140 Bt. a person. Some is cooked and some you cook at the table. I also like the buffet at the Shangra LA. It is expensive at just under 400 Bt. However with all the choices and wonderful food I do call it a "Value for the money"

Coming from Airport plaza, going into town, Past Toyota, past the Main Chiang Mai Post office, driving range, and a gas station, and just as you get into the ring outside the moat, on the left side next to the football Soccer feild is the place. Open air and seats 2000 - 3000 people. I go with my wife once a month but not eat lunch first.

Checked out that 'Korean Buffet' opposite the moat last night, much much smaller and less choice than the 'Korean Buffet' down the alley next to Hillside Condos, probably 50% smaller in all respects.

Also, they charge for drinks.....the one next to Hillside Condos includes ALL non-alcoholic drinks as well.....better value in my opinion and a better atmosphere as many more people.

You get a LOT more choice and variety and free unlimited drinks for an extra 49 baht (189bht per person).

The moo ga tat on the superhighway has the same selections as the one near Hillside 4, but you pay separately for the drinks. They also have the common stage shows 1(ladyboy, midget, ugly girl, normal guys doing skits) 2.(open mic style singing with guitar)

BTW, as a Korean, I take offense to any place being referred to as a "Korean Restaurant" that does not serve kimchi and a bowl of hot white rice

I go to the Grand View Hotel buffet luncheon together with a group of regular friends. 52 meals a year for a number of years and not one of us has ever complained of getting sick from the meals. Planet X has only touched on some of the dishes (western) that are always available. IMO this is probably the best value buffet lunch in town.

There may be just one tip that could make this a more pleasant eating experience for those who might have felt otherwise - get there early before the crowds arrive in busloads. 152 baht including water, tea and good coffee. Hard to beat for an extensive range of hot tasty Thai and Western dishes with a bit of Japanese as well.

Cheers.

The moo ga tat on the superhighway has the same selections as the one near Hillside 4, but you pay separately for the drinks. They also have the common stage shows 1(ladyboy, midget, ugly girl, normal guys doing skits) 2.(open mic style singing with guitar)

BTW, as a Korean, I take offense to any place being referred to as a "Korean Restaurant" that does not serve kimchi and a bowl of hot white rice

A Korean Restaurant with no Kimchi?! That's a bloody scandal, ennit!?

laugh.gif

Has anyone tried Memorize@Nimman on Soi 12? They have a reasonably priced lunch and dinner buffet advertised (179 baht)

My wife and I tried it recently. It seems to be for very young Thais who haven't developed much sophistication for foreign dining. The dishes were very plain, reminding me of my Puritanical upbringing. However, the gravy for the pork and chicken steak (which were quite good) was delicious. Some of the buffet items you order from the waiters and one such pasta dish was quite good. The pride of the restaurant is it's "German" pork leg. It's quite big and looks impressive but is very, very dry and the only condiment for it was a very unGerman spicy chili paste. All in all, for 20 baht more the variety, setting, service, and consistent quality of the Holiday Inn buffet put a much bigger smile on our faces.

Khun Churn - Yes, it's a good, dependable veggie buffet with Thai and Western dishes. I go there occasionally and I'm not a vegetarian.

Why Not? - We have eaten there twice and the three kinds of lasagna alone made it worth the trip, but the other three times we went (this was soon after they'd opened) we were unable to eat because at the beginning they kept changing their open times and the staff had kind of an off putting manner about it. My wife won't go back.

Grand View - I used to like it (especially the price) but got tired of the sameness of it. I'd call it pretty good cafeteria food.

The Fujian Restaurant near the first ring road offers an exquisite lunch buffet for 599 baht, a bit rich for my blood but once a year I'm going to go back. The interior is beautiful, the staff very professional, and the dim sum, which you order from your table, is to die for.

The next day we returned, to go to the bakery/tea shop in the same compound, but 523 baht for two very ordinary coffees and two good pastries felt like a rip off. I don't know, maybe the tea is amazing.

They do have Kinchi (though in 49 years I have only touched the stuff 1 time) and White as well as fried rice as much as you would like

On the last Sunday of each month Moxie @ D-2 Hotel puts on a fabulous Sunday lunch from noon until 3 p.m. The food is exquisite, service is top notch, and the atmosphere is great. It is worth going just for the selection of high quality imported cheeses. Last month they even had fresh raspberries. At a hefty 599 baht, giving the quality and variety, I feel it is worth the extra for the once a month treat.

On the last Sunday of each month Moxie @ D-2 Hotel puts on a fabulous Sunday lunch from noon until 3 p.m. The food is exquisite, service is top notch, and the atmosphere is great. It is worth going just for the selection of high quality imported cheeses. Last month they even had fresh raspberries. At a hefty 599 baht, giving the quality and variety, I feel it is worth the extra for the once a month treat.

I went to an Italian buffet they put on there. They brought in an Italian chef who was very friendly and informative. He walked us through the various specialties he'd concocted. It was heaven. I think it was about 700 baht. If my wife was into Italian food at all I'd go back, but that kind of money is a once or twice a year splurge for me.

Does this price include any drinks? The drink prices at D2 really put me off a few years ago - although the food prices were not bad for the quality.

The 599 baht includes many varieties of coffee and tea, but not wine.