Buffet Lunch/Dinner

chuang

Now I'm confused, do they or do they not still do lunch buffet?

Maybe I'm missing something....I usually am. huh.gif

Well, if they do, you'd have to be prepared to climb over the barred gate at the entrance to get in. I've past it twice in the last few days.

According to kjhbigv;

"I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix"

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also the Why Not restaurant in soi 11 Nimmanhaemim Road where you get an excellent all you can eat italian buffet for 189baht

I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix.....nice food...grilled salmon, pork, sausage, beef....nice salad bar with olives, parma ham, tomato and mozzarella and various other meats.....various Italian pasta dishes veg lasagne, chicken lasagne, pizza....about 10 different hot pasta type dishes....sweets are home made ice cream/sorbet, tiramisu, cheescake etc. Relaxed atmosphere. This applies to the lunchtime buffet, only been at lunch.

The Holiday Inn is more up market (food-wise), only been on a Sunday, bit steep at 650 baht but a great selection from roast turkey and the trimmings to lobster, other seafood....basically everything, but you want to get there at 12.00 to make the most of your 650 baht! Bit of a 'stuffy' atmosphere, in my opinion.

But the best has to be the Korean BBQ down the alley next to Hillside Condo's.....huge selection, best Korean BBQ in CM in my opinion, for choice....189 baht includes all drinks (about 20 varieties, soft drinks only, alcohol is available at extra cost)....as for dishes, must be 60-70 easily....cooked food and stuff to cook on your table......place holds about 1500-2000 people, best time is get there early around 6.30pm and take your time, busiest day is Sunday with 100's of Thai familys/friends going there. Great value, fun atmosphere, albeit a bit manic!

I like the place by Hillside too. Great value. Why Not is just O.K. All the food is cold except for the grilled meats. I don't like cold pasta or pizza. Deserts are good.

There is also the Why Not restaurant in soi 11 Nimmanhaemim Road where you get an excellent all you can eat italian buffet for 189baht

I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix.....nice food...grilled salmon, pork, sausage, beef....nice salad bar with olives, parma ham, tomato and mozzarella and various other meats.....various Italian pasta dishes veg lasagne, chicken lasagne, pizza....about 10 different hot pasta type dishes....sweets are home made ice cream/sorbet, tiramisu, cheescake etc. Relaxed atmosphere. This applies to the lunchtime buffet, only been at lunch.

The Holiday Inn is more up market (food-wise), only been on a Sunday, bit steep at 650 baht but a great selection from roast turkey and the trimmings to lobster, other seafood....basically everything, but you want to get there at 12.00 to make the most of your 650 baht! Bit of a 'stuffy' atmosphere, in my opinion.

But the best has to be the Korean BBQ down the alley next to Hillside Condo's.....huge selection, best Korean BBQ in CM in my opinion, for choice....189 baht includes all drinks (about 20 varieties, soft drinks only, alcohol is available at extra cost)....as for dishes, must be 60-70 easily....cooked food and stuff to cook on your table......place holds about 1500-2000 people, best time is get there early around 6.30pm and take your time, busiest day is Sunday with 100's of Thai familys/friends going there. Great value, fun atmosphere, albeit a bit manic!

I like the place by Hillside too. Great value. Why Not is just O.K. All the food is cold except for the grilled meats. I don't like cold pasta or pizza. Deserts are good.

The lasagnas were hot as were the chicken dishes I tried (that's all I could eat) on the days that I was there.

The cheesecake and chocolate mousse were very good. Maybe it was an off day when you tried it out.

Edited by venturalaw

Well, if they do, you'd have to be prepared to climb over the barred gate at the entrance to get in. I've past it twice in the last few days.

According to kjhbigv;

"I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix"

I went about a week ago at midday! Maybe they have stopped it in the last week or so? Think the last time was Sunday, not the one just gone but last week! Shame if they have stopped it!

Edited by kjhbigv

The lasagnas were hot as were the chicken dishes I tried (that's all I could eat) on the days that I was there.

The cheesecake and chocolate mousse were very good. Maybe it was an off day when you tried it out.

Could be. I would give it another try but will have to go by myself. I'll never convince the g/f to try it again.

According to kjhbigv;

I went about a week ago at midday! Maybe they have stopped it in the last week or so? Think the last time was Sunday, not the one just gone but last week! Shame if they have stopped it!

Went past "Why Not" yesterday and the EVENING buffet is back on 5.30pm-11pm 189 baht.

Can someone please confirm if Why Now is still closed for lunch buffet? I prefer eating buffets at lunch?

:blink: :blink:

If you look at the Facebook page, they state very clearly that the lunch buffet has been suspended and they begin serving each day at 5PM

Can someone please confirm if Why Now is still closed for lunch buffet? I prefer eating buffets at lunch?

If you look at the Facebook page, they state very clearly that the lunch buffet has been suspended and they begin serving each day at 5PM

I usually try to find an answer before I pose a question here and I did go on their FB home page and saw this.

A sumptuous Buffet Lunch and a Buffet Dinner will be served every day between 11.30 – 15.00 and 18.00 – 23.30 respectively, for an incredible promotional price of 189 Baht per person.

but now I went back to their wall and found the suspended comment. Thanks for the correction.

Anyone know why the lunch buffet stopped?

It was very good value, a big assortment of dishes plus some very nice desserts.

I can't imagine there weren't enough customers.

Perhaps too many customers with big appetites so not enough profit. :D

Sounds like the moo ga tat/koong ga tat. I was there about a year ago, but don't remember it having any Korean food.. Has it changed?

Korean BBQ sounds good. Can you give a little more info on the location?

There are many. I take my family to the Korean BBQ Buffet near the post office just across from the Moat. I think it is 140 Bt. a person. Some is cooked and some you cook at the table. I also like the buffet at the Shangra LA. It is expensive at just under 400 Bt. However with all the choices and wonderful food I do call it a "Value for the money"

Coming from Airport plaza, going into town, Past Toyota, past the Main Chiang Mai Post office, driving range, and a gas station, and just as you get into the ring outside the moat, on the left side next to the football Soccer feild is the place. Open air and seats 2000 - 3000 people. I go with my wife once a month but not eat lunch first.

Jeffrey, not helping... :-(

Do you remember the name of the restaurant?

Edited by MangoAndCo

did the holiday inn 199b today average to say nice placel but food very similar to camp food theres got to be a better buffet have allready done the g view

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Shangri-La Hotel. 320 Baht with a free discount card and a variety of different cuisine, the only downside is that the price doesn't include tea or coffee but unlike Grandview, the water is free.

When I was at the International Food Festival this week I went over to the Italian booth that Why Not was providing food for. There was a falang working who was slicing meat with a large professional meat slicer, similar to a circular saw, and he walked away and went out of view and left it running. Very dangerous and unprofessional. Also the staff were all hiding behind a screen so people would just come up, look at the food and not see anybody to order from and leave. Service and quality come from the top!!

I went to the food fair too, but he was out there saying hello to everyone who stopped by. Guess it was just timing. I've been wanting to try out the new place, but am now too scared. I've heard from two of my friends about having stomach problems the day after. Be careful with what you eat, not just here but any buffet.

When I was at the International Food Festival this week I went over to the Italian booth that Why Not was providing food for. There was a falang working who was slicing meat with a large professional meat slicer, similar to a circular saw, and he walked away and went out of view and left it running. Very dangerous and unprofessional. Also the staff were all hiding behind a screen so people would just come up, look at the food and not see anybody to order from and leave. Service and quality come from the top!!

I had the misfortune to take the advice of one of the contributors to this site and went to the Grand View for their buffet. What a mistake. All Thai, despite advice that there was Westren food. That's OK I like Thai. But not this time. After sampling a few of dishes, and leaving them, I had a boiled egg, some lettuce and tomato. They were OK. Hot dishes were tepid, cold dishes were limp warm. I was the lucky one. My friend spent some considerable time in the bathroom which he blames on their curry. Save your money and eat elsewhere, anywhere else.

I hope some day a place opens offering a bufett that equals the daily lunch bufett that use to be at the Amari Rincon, which was IMHO the best quality-for-the-money bufett that Chiangmai Maii had to offer. Really a shame that they closed.

Edited by venturalaw

I had the misfortune to take the advice of one of the contributors to this site and went to the Grand View for their buffet. What a mistake. All Thai, despite advice that there was Westren food. That's OK I like Thai. But not this time. After sampling a few of dishes, and leaving them, I had a boiled egg, some lettuce and tomato. They were OK. Hot dishes were tepid, cold dishes were limp warm. I was the lucky one. My friend spent some considerable time in the bathroom which he blames on their curry. Save your money and eat elsewhere, anywhere else.

Wow I was going to eat there for lunch yesterday plans got changed ,,, I guess I am the lucky one I wont be trying that place now .....

Wow I was going to eat there for lunch yesterday plans got changed ,,, I guess I am the lucky one I wont be trying that place now .....

I've been there several times and at worst it was average, but you never know with food in Thailand - often it Is hit or miss.

I've been there several times and at worst it was average, but you never know with food in Thailand - often it Is hit or miss.

We've eaten there several times, never had a problem

David

We've eaten there several times, never had a problem

David

Its all Thai?

I guess you missed

the pasta noodles + meat sauce

boneless fish dish,

sliced pork with sauce,

potatoes/ veg section,

japanese section,

desert cakes section,

ice cream/ crepes section,

small salad bar section,

lunch meat and breads section

the daily western soup

I have eaten there 15-20 times in the last three months because of the proximity to my work and have never gotten sick

The 152 baht for all this plus 4-5 Thai dishes, a very nice fruits/ cakes section, and a bottled water seems pretty good value to me (even on Sat and Sun)

Edited by PlanetX

I go to the Grand View Hotel buffet luncheon together with a group of regular friends. 52 meals a year for a number of years and not one of us has ever complained of getting sick from the meals. Planet X has only touched on some of the dishes (western) that are always available. IMO this is probably the best value buffet lunch in town.

There may be just one tip that could make this a more pleasant eating experience for those who might have felt otherwise - get there early before the crowds arrive in busloads. 152 baht including water, tea and good coffee. Hard to beat for an extensive range of hot tasty Thai and Western dishes with a bit of Japanese as well.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

Let's see -- a first-time contributor to the forum and he disses the well-known Grandview buffet. Perhaps he is associated with a competitor's business.

The bit about no western food is an absolute lie -- there is always a pasta dish, a chicken dish and pork dish on the western side of the buffet. Good selection of Japanese food, too, with the sushi being especially popular. The Thai curry is a bit spicy, but good Thai curry normally is spicy. They serve in small chaffing dishes, so the food is replaced frequently and kept at proper temperature. They usually have crepes, cooked to order, for dessert and a broad selection of dessert goodies, both western and those strange squishy Thai desserts. All served in nice, clean, elegant surroundings, with linen napkins, good aircon and attentive staff that always removes a used dish when you go back for seconds or desserts. Coffee and tea is included and Hubby says he always drinks at least 160 baht worth of coffee, considering what he'd pay for a cup in a coffee shop.

My husband dines there every week and I normally do about twice a month. We've been doing this for years and never gotten ill afterwards. They open at 11:30 am and often the dining room is empty by 1:30 pm. It's best to arrive early.