Buffet Lunch/Dinner

chuang

I just checked "why not" facebook and read that they have gone up to 239B. I have never eaten there and was thinking of going tonight. Is it still worth it?

I wonder if that's because of not enough customers or too many taking advantage? unsure.gif

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Holiday Inn has lowered their price for the lunch buffet for the low season to 199 baht. It's a fantastic buffet. Don't expect their Sunday buffet; in fact when I first inquired about the weekday lunch buffet they said it was "only Thai food". What I think they meant was that "it is made with only Thai ingredients". Don't expect imported cheese, smoked salmon, caviar and whatever else they have at that fabled Sunday buffet (can you tell I've never been to the Sunday buffet?) But, they do offer western dishes made with Thai-sourced ingredients at their weekday 199 baht buffet. It's definitely a step above the Grandview, but the price is a step above Grandview, too.

Nice to have such reasonably priced lunch buffets in nicely elegant venues on each side of town.

Nancy - do you know if the lunch buffet at The Holiday Inn still 199 Baht?

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if they changed anything in addition to the price.

No, it is exactly the same as the lunchtime buffet (that has now stopped, that was 189 baht).

Is it still worth it? Yeah, I reckon so, it's only 50 baht more. I don't see how they made money when it was 189 baht being honest!

Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if they changed anything in addition to the price.

I don't see how they made money when it was 189 baht being honest!

I agree. It was an unbelievable bargain, and with the same offerings still a bargain at the new price.

Tiger Kingdom just outside Mae Rim has a nice buffet for 200 baht, except when they have a promotion price of 99 baht. There's no admission charge when you simply tell the staff you're only there for the buffet. Plus you can sit on the veranda and watch the tourists take pictures with the tigers in their big enclosure. It's a great place to take visitors. Some of my wife's university classmates (Thai) were here over the weekend. They loved the food and agreed it was a bargain.

Yeah, I realize it's Mae Rim, not CM, but I figure there are lots of readers ot this forum out that way, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Grandview buffet twice in the last two weeks. (my first times).

Good value? - definitely Venue? - great Food? Varied

I definitely enjoyed the soup, buns with butter. Found the main course type of offerings average. Everything looks fantastic but somehow the taste doesn't match the look. Someone previously described it as cafeteria food which fits for me. The fruit, desserts and ice cream are fantastic imho.

Make sure you get there by 11:30 as it gets very busy shortly afterwards.

Is it the best buffet value in CM? I have no idea. Haven't been to all the buffets in CM and tastes are very personal. You may try it and find the main course meals fantastic and wonder what I'm on about.

Go with realistic expectations. Only 162 Baht with a bottle of water.

Only 162 Baht with a bottle of water.

Also free coffee and tea last time that I went. IMHO tt is a great deal, but would get boring if you ate there too often.

I think the Grand View is really good value, but one thing I most definitely will not recommend is the coffee, even for free.

Otherwise, it's a good place to go for a lunch buffet.

• 2 months later...

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin, Soi 17. It's 99 baht for lunch. Be aware that it's strictly vegetarian. It's FANTASTIC, though.

I tried Khun Churn yesterday for the first time, and it was good. Is it still 99 THB, or has the price risen? It cost me 129 THB, even though I did not order anything extra. Or are there some self-serve items that cost extra, like the drinks and tea, or dessert?

I have been to the Holiday Inn Sunday buffet a few times and enjoy it. We get a 20% discount because of some "membership card" which we don't actually have in physical form, it apparently exists but we've never received the card although we receive the discount and apparently all you need to do to get one is to ask the manager. The food is good, my favorites are probably the desserts and the crab cakes.

I've also been to the Fujian (at the Mandarin Oriental) Dim Sum "buffet" - it's not actually a serve yourself buffet - when I was there a few months back the price was 600 baht and you order as much dim sum from the menu and they cook it up for you fresh. Also comes with chinese tea. It's the best dim sum I've had in CM but people who have been to the best in Hong Kong may have some grumbles. The rest of you probably won't mind.

The Mandarin Oriental has another buffet just behind reception. I had a look in after I'd already eaten at the Fujian and it looks good although I prefer the larger setting of the Holiday inn personally. My friend tells me that the Mandarin Oriental is about double the price (from his memory) of the Holiday inn and that although it is definitely better than the Holiday Inn buffet it is not double the quality. He still happily goes there. One of these days I'm going to try it but I've been trying to cut down on the all you can at experience for health reasons.

The first time I went to Empress lunch buffet I really enjoyed it. it was a great value! Good variety and real decent quality. I've been back probably 5 times over the last year but every time I have been disappointed. I haven't even bothered going back in at least 4 months. Anyone have a recent update? How is the quality and the variety now?

There is also the Why Not restaurant in soi 11 Nimmanhaemim Road where you get an excellent all you can eat italian buffet for 189baht

The price has gone up now but it's still a good value. 239 Baht per person. They also give you a discount if you "like" them on Facebook.

I like to go right at 5:30 when the first round of food is coming out of the kitchen. Nice and fresh!

The Shangri-La hotel just south of the night bazaar had a very cheap all-you-can-eat Italian lunch deal a couple of years ago, though I'm not sure if they still do it. The menu was a selection of pasta dishes and pizzas made-to-order, plus cakes (one I still remember had a small chocolate part that was covered in gold!). The hotel venue itself was ultimate luxury. It was a treat to hang around the different parts of the magnificent hotel after the satisfying meal. What all-you-can-eat deals do they have there these days?

Edited by hyperdimension

The Shangri-La hotel just south of the night bazaar had a very cheap all-you-can-eat Italian lunch deal a couple of years ago, though I'm not sure if they still do it. The menu was a selection of pasta dishes and pizzas made-to-order, plus cakes (one I still remember had a small chocolate part that was covered in gold!). The hotel venue itself was ultimate luxury. It was a treat to hang around the different parts of the magnificent hotel after the satisfying meal. What all-you-can-eat deals do they have there these days?

It's Monday to Friday 11.30 - 14.00 299Baht++

There is now more choice, as said, pasta and pizza, salad, soups, sushi and a choice of 4/5 hot dishes, western and asian plus a wonderful choice of deserts and ice-cream.

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin, Soi 17. It's 99 baht for lunch. Be aware that it's strictly vegetarian. It's FANTASTIC, though.

I tried Khun Churn yesterday for the first time, and it was good. Is it still 99 THB, or has the price risen? It cost me 129 THB, even though I did not order anything extra. Or are there some self-serve items that cost extra, like the drinks and tea, or dessert?

Price increase... like so many other places (Korean buffet, Why Not, massage etc)

I wonder if 33% increase is an annual thing or once every X years thing.

Ratakosen Hotel in Chiangmai. 79 Baht buffet. Many items to choose from. Open for lunch at 11:00 Am everyday. Includes: Thai food, western dish changing everyday, fruit, salad, dessert, coffee, and water. Karokie at about 12 Noon. All you can eat.

Many regular westerners, Thais, and of course tourists groups occasionally. Many Thai and foreign organizations, schools, occasionally meet there to eat.

Edited by Lifer

Price increase... like so many other places (Korean buffet, Why Not, massage etc)

I wonder if 33% increase is an annual thing or once every X years thing.

Can others confirm that the price is now 129 THB? In my case I was thinking that some other table ordered extra items and the waiter mistakenly put it on my table's bill.

129 THB is still not bad, but it's getting close to the cost of Grandview's buffet which costs 164 THB and has more expensive items, like meat dishes.

The last time I went to Khun Churn over 2 years ago, the buffet was 85b which I thought was overpriced for vegetable only buffet that wasn't even organic. Back then, vegetables were dirt cheap but I got really turned off by their watered down carrot juice.

he last time I went to Khun Churn over 2 years ago, the buffet was 85b which I thought was overpriced for vegetable only buffet that wasn't even organic. Back then, vegetables were dirt cheap but I got really turned off by their watered down carrot juice.

I do like cheap buffets, so if 85 THB is overpriced for you, what are the cheap places these days in or near the city (not too far out)?

I've been to Rattanakosin hotel a few times, and the food is not bad, but the loud music is annoying, especially the cringeful amateur karaoke by some of the customers. I was making bad faces last time I went. I have thought of wearing earplugs if I go there again in future.

Edited by hyperdimension

It's Monday to Friday 11.30 - 14.00 299Baht++

There is now more choice, as said, pasta and pizza, salad, soups, sushi and a choice of 4/5 hot dishes, western and asian plus a wonderful choice of deserts and ice-cream.

I think it was around 170 THB when I went 2 or 3 years ago, but it only had a small selection as I mentioned above (some pizzas, some pasta dishes and cakes), but it was still a bargain for such fine luxurious dining. It's probably the most luxurious restaurant and hotel I've ever dined at (though the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi buffet which I intend to try some time may change that).

With all those extras it now sounds like a full and varied buffet, so around 360 THB (after tax & service charge) is not bad.

Edited by hyperdimension