Thai Houses- Pictures ?

swissie

In the sub-forum "real-estate" there is a thread showing pictures of (mostly) farang-type houses.

How about some pictures of typical Thai-dwellings ? Wood or brick. On stilts or not. Large or small, nevermind.

I am looking for some ideas / inspiration.

Thanks & cheers.

YES, YOU are right ,one stairway, but internal, not exposed to the weather. As farm animals are , in the main ,not kept any more, many houses have blocked in the downstairs. Creating extra weather proof living space. I have a large living room ,and a very large kitchen area + toilet /bathroom downstairs. I notice your height is quite low down stairs .Ours are much higher. Most are about 8' or 245 centimetres. So, can make excellent rooms downstairs .Also , our uprights are generally "Squared Off".

Member Crossy put together this site, translated from Thai;

http://www.crossy.co...ai_House_Plans/

Fantastic thanks for this. I'm about to build a small house for my wifes aging parents on some land she recently acquired. I want to keep it simple and Thai style. There's a couple of beauties on your list. Two years ago I designed and built my house in the North East near Loei. I wanted semi traditional Thai made of 100% wood. It was a nightmare finding plans. They were either 'too' Thai or cement. I eventually designed it myself and had an architect do the drawings.

So second time round you've saved me some time and no doubt frustration.

Thanks

Member Crossy put together this site, translated from Thai;

http://www.crossy.co...ai_House_Plans/

Fantastic thanks for this. I'm about to build a small house for my wifes aging parents on some land she recently acquired. I want to keep it simple and Thai style. There's a couple of beauties on your list. Two years ago I designed and built my house in the North East near Loei. I wanted semi traditional Thai made of 100% wood. It was a nightmare finding plans. They were either 'too' Thai or cement. I eventually designed it myself and had an architect do the drawings.

So second time round you've saved me some time and no doubt frustration.

Thanks

Maybe not what you are looking for but here is a picture of one we have designed and built on the fly by the seat of our pants near Erawan

post-32634-0-28904900-1310387817_thumb.j

There are also some very good "Coffee Table " type books on Thai Houses that u can browse thru in Bookazine or Asia Books or other bookshops . Quiet pricey but very inspiring. Look for "Thai syle" for example - (Thames and Hudson publishers) If you are looking at upmarket Thai style that is , but a lot of the design concepts could be translated into a lower budget if you have the imagination / inclination to do so .

Quite interesting the comments about internal/external stairs in Issan and the Lanna Style. Thanks for that