Ethiopean Restaurant

ricklev

I'm deeply distessed that what I think might have been the only Ethiopean restaurant in Bangkok has closed. Went there for my monthly fix only to be told it's closed forever.

Anybody know of any other Ethiopean places. I gotta have injera once a month! It was a tough time when Abyssinia closed and Habesha has followed.

Those that know will understand......

To my knowledge the closest available now would be in Japan and Australia. Sorry.

Thanks, I guess that's probably true. Maybe another will open someday. Habaesha was open for a couple of months before I randomly noticed it. It was in a depressing old hotel and the food was sometimes just ok, but the people running it were very nice and the injera was from Ethiopea.

Injera is a kind of fermented pancake made from teff flour.

In Eritrea & Ethiopia, a variety of stews, sometimes salads (during Ethiopian Orthodox fasting, for which believers abstain from most animal products) or simply more injera (called injera firfir), are placed upon the injera for serving. Using one's right hand, small pieces of injera are torn and used to grasp the stews and salads for eating. The injera under these stews soaks up the juices and flavours of the foods and, after the stews and salads are gone, this bread is also consumed. Injera is thus simultaneously food, eating utensil, and plate. When the entire "tablecloth" of injera is gone, the meal is over.

In Somalia, at lunch (referred to as qaddo), the main meal of the day, injera might also be eaten with a stew (maraq) or soup

• 1 year later...