Silkair To Fly To Koh Samui

SINGAPORE : SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines, said on Wednesday it will begin flights to Koh Samui, Thailand from September 27.

Koh Samui will be SilkAir's third destination in Thailand, after Phuket and Chiang Mai.

The new services will be operated with the Airbus 319 aircraft, and scheduled three times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.

Bangkok Airways will be the codeshare partner on these flights, according to a joint statement by SilkAir and Bangkok Airways.

SilkAir will also codeshare on Bangkok Airways' daily evening services between Singapore and Koh Samui, providing customers with more flight options.

Currently, Bangkok Airways operates a daily non-stop service on this route.

SilkAir's chief executive Marvin Tan said: "Our codeshare arrangement with Bangkok Airways will enhance the connectivity between Singapore and Koh Samui and offer our customers more convenient connections and flexibility when planning their holidays."

Peter Wiesner, Bangkok Airways' senior vice president for network management, said: "By having a codeshare arrangement on the Singapore-Koh Samui route, it actually allows us to drive more traffic into Koh Samui.

"We are planning on capturing traffic from Singapore as well as through traffic from long-haul routes connecting from a major aviation hub like Singapore Changi International Airport."

In addition to the Singapore-Koh Samui route, Bangkok Airways also codeshares on SilkAir's Singapore-Chiang Mai and Singapore-Phuket routes, while SilkAir will codeshare on Bangkok Airways' Bangkok-Koh Samui, Phuket-Koh Samui and Chiang Mai-Koh Samui routes.

- CNA/al - http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1140691/1/.html

Interesting but the question ofcourse is "how much?'

on silk air website now, if you book a round trip phuket - singapore on the dates the airline starts, it is 6,038 THB Return ( taxes Included ) and Phuket is more of a distance...

on silk air website now, if you book a round trip phuket - singapore on the dates the airline starts, it is 6,038 THB Return ( taxes Included ) and Phuket is more of a distance...

Phuket is actually closer to Singapore than Samui

SINGAPORE : SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines, said on Wednesday it will begin flights to Koh Samui, Thailand from September 27.

Koh Samui will be SilkAir's third destination in Thailand, after Phuket and Chiang Mai.

The new services will be operated with the Airbus 319 aircraft, and scheduled three times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays

continued here:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1140691/1/.html

Delighted to hear it ... but .....

Surely they are going to charge basically the same price as Thai and Bangkok Airways? With only 3 flights a week, charge the 'real' fare and they will be fully booked 110% of the time, meaning all their connecting schedules will be stuffed. What benefit is that to the rather superior reputation of Singapore Air?

Besides, I cannot believe for one minute that Bangkok Airways will allow them to use the route without telling them what the price should be.:rolleyes:

Pardon my ignorance, code share, do they refer to the existing flights or are there actually going to be three additional flights operated by Silk Air?

Code share = same flight = Bangkok Airways. Just like the EVA, Etihad code sharing. So, Silk can sell a Bangkok Airways flight as if it were its' own.

So, no new flights.

A further tightening of the monopoly in my view.

limbos and itishothere - you are both correct. For the near future.

However

Bandit airways have 36 slots per day max. here are some more that they do not have. The more the merrier.

If the number of 'other' airlines increases - this is good.

You cannot change Bandit airways from the outside. So -more flights by other airlines - less flights by the bandit one.

Yes - expensive to start with - it is called "putting your foot in the door".

Short term - no change, but long term this can only be a positive move to a 'free economy'.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey :rolleyes:

Don't think so tropicalevo, they are shared flights, so no flights are added and possibly only BKK Air flying the routes. Just another way to get the planes full. Whatever you think of them, it' a smart business and marketing move.

Don't think so tropicalevo, they are shared flights, so no flights are added and possibly only BKK Air flying the routes. Just another way to get the planes full. Whatever you think of them, it' a smart business and marketing move.

Sorry - you are right limbos. I had not realised that they were code share. Buummeer!

I agree with the 'foot in the door' bit, and it does also perhaps mean that in the future someone like Silk Air will tell Bangkok Airways that they have passengers wanting to go to Samui, but they think that it is expensive, so perhaps putting some pressure on pricing. But not much. Code sharing doesn't usually cost airlines much, in fact they usually get extra revenue this way by selling seats that they can't sell themselves.

Short term though, I just see this as a way for Bangkok Airways to be able to say to any critics "Look. It is our airport. We have allowed Thai and Firefly to operate their own flghts. And now, we have agreed to let Silk Air, Etihad et al to control some of our flights by selling tickets as if they were their own. What more do you expect us to do?"

Loosely translated as p### o##.:lol:

I agree with the 'foot in the door' bit, and it does also perhaps mean that in the future someone like Silk Air will tell Bangkok Airways that they have passengers wanting to go to Samui, but they think that it is expensive, so perhaps putting some pressure on pricing. But not much. Code sharing doesn't usually cost airlines much, in fact they usually get extra revenue this way by selling seats that they can't sell themselves.

Short term though, I just see this as a way for Bangkok Airways to be able to say to any critics "Look. It is our airport. We have allowed Thai and Firefly to operate their own flghts. And now, we have agreed to let Silk Air, Etihad et al to control some of our flights by selling tickets as if they were their own. What more do you expect us to do?"

Loosely translated as p### o##.:lol:

Seems like you start to see the light itshothere blink.gif

yes the most important question or it is just another bangkok airways plane with a different logo on it. doon't bbk airways already fly to singapore so why would it inhance more people to come.

anyway silk air are own by quantas and brish airways

Pardon my ignorance, code share, do they refer to the existing flights or are there actually going to be three additional flights operated by Silk Air?

exaclty all a load of <deleted> even if all the airlines flew here the prices would be the same or maybe more.. why don't bbk airways just buy samui turn it into a serpate country then the boss could formally change his nae to Dr. Evil. infact if there is an evil school where can i join ?

My understanding is Silk Air will operate 3 of their own flights with per week with their own A319's. Silk Air will code share on the other existing PG flights operated by PG. PG will gain 3 more flights (codeshare flights) which will the be 3 new Silk Air flights . They will share each others flights. Only 3 of them per week being actual Silk Air aircraft.

My understanding is Silk Air will operate 3 of their own flights with per week with their own A319's. Silk Air will code share on the other existing PG flights operated by PG. PG will gain 3 more flights (codeshare flights) which will the be 3 new Silk Air flights . They will share each others flights. Only 3 of them per week being actual Silk Air aircraft.

Reading the press statements, the above appears to be correct. Interesting. There is already a daily service to Singapore, and now Silk Air have done their homework and believe they can add another 3 flights a week. Another example of the shift towards the Eastern tourists for us?

• 1 month later...

Jet to Koh Samui from S$298

04:45 AM Aug 18, 2011 var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em'); SilkAir will be starting its thrice-weekly flights to the Thai island from Sept 27 but you can book your tickets now. For its pre-NATAS fair promotion, the airline is offering fares from S$298 to Koh Samui, from S$318 to Lombok and S$318 to Siem Reap. Booking ends Aug 24. Visit www.silkair.com for more information.http://www.todayonli...amui-from-S$298

Just checking on line, and this price is return !,

just a random booking

flight in December for some xmas shopping , only 9,000 THB Return ...

Edited by Boater