U.S. soldier arrested after trying to board Los Angeles-bound plane with explosives

News_Editor

U.S. soldier arrested after trying to board Los Angeles-bound plane with explosives

2011-07-15 03:40:40 GMT+7 (ICT)

YUMA, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- A U.S. soldier has been arrested and charged with attempting to board a United Airlines flight while possessing a small amount of explosives, prosecutors in Arizona confirmed on Thursday.

U.S. Army Private First Class Christopher Eric Wey, 19, was arrested on Wednesday when he tried to board a United Airlines flight from Yuma in Arizona to Los Angeles. Security officers with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) detected the presence of explosives in Wey's luggage during a routine screening.

"TSA personnel subsequently found one-half ounce of C4 explosive hidden in a tobacco can inside one of Wey's bags. Wey was detained for investigation, and interviewed by Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)," a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Arizona said.

According to a complaint filed on Thursday, Wey stole the C4 explosive while attending a recent explosive training course. It is not known why he stole it, but authorities found no evidence that Wey intended any harm with the explosives in his possession.

Wey has been charged with one count of Attempt to Carry an Explosive on an Aircraft and one count of Transportation of a Stolen Explosive. He faces a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment, and a $250,000 fine, if convicted.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-15

C-4 is fun stuff to use. I can totally understand why some stupid and immature 19 year old PFC might want to take some home (or wherever) without necessarily any malicious intent. It is extremely stable and without a detonator it is entirely safe, so it wasn't a danger to the aircraft unless he intended it to be.

C-4 is fun stuff to use. I can totally understand why some stupid and immature 19 year old PFC might want to take some home (or wherever) without necessarily any malicious intent. It is extremely stable and without a detonator it is entirely safe, so it wasn't a danger to the aircraft unless he intended it to be.

I suppose I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but :ph34r: ?!

I suppose I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but :ph34r: ?!

Not sure what you mean (if you'd highlighted "fun to use" I might get the implication - that I'm some sort of mad bomber/wannabe terrorist or whatever)...

My point was if he was just trying to get it from one place to another, it was a stupid and illegal thing to do but it was not an endangerment to the passengers or aircraft. It needs a shock-wave and EXTREME heat to detonate -- ie a blasting cap/detonator. Not even fire will necessarily cause it to explode (you can even use a tiny sliver to start a nice little cooking fire).

EDIT to ADD:

I guess I should have said, "...so it wasn't a danger to the aircraft unless he intended it to be and he or an accomplice had a means of detonating it."

Edited by SteeleJoe