Farang Sleeping Rough

beano2274

Whilst picking up her indoors from the BTS Station, I peered over the edge and noticed a farang guy sleeping on the benches, seemed to be in his late 50's, wore glasses and was wearing a watch. Had a few plastic bags around him, with maybe his other clothes in. Looking at him he was tallish, and average build. Short hair was light brownish. Also his feet were still quite white, and his arms were tanned

I would have taken his photo or asked him something, but he was asleep at the time and I did not want to annoy him, maybe I should have.

Maybe someone might know him or if anyone is missing maybe it might be him.

Edited by beano2274

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a story not so long ago about abandoned British people who are stuck in Thailand, apparently they all deserve to be stuck there or thrown in a Thai prison for being over stayers by some members of Thai Visa, I think that there are many who would like to get home but cannot, The British Embassy is as much use as a chocolate fire Gard. yes some are idiots and Some just dont want to come home.

Do not assume anything about these people. My friends sister died recently and her boy friend from Sweden is now one of these people. They where both alcoholic and munching off the family in Issan. After her death the family tried to help this guy but any money given to him for a bus ticket was soon drank up. I left 2000 baht with one of the sisters for a ticket to Bangkok and enough for bus fare to Embassy. The last word I got was that he had drank about half of it up the gal I left money with was a soft touch.

When I was in Bangkok in April I saw him sleeping on the stairs of a shop between Sukhumvit Soi4 and the Landmark Hotel needles to say I didn't wake him up or bother to help, he isn't ready for help.

Please do not blame the Embassies they can only do so much for anyone and then the person has to want help.

Good luck to Tobar, I hope he eventually snaps out of it but I donot think so, If you are approached by a tall 50ish Swede do not give him any money he will only drink it up at this stage of the game.

Edited by moe666

This guy did not seem to be asking people for money.

His face is thin not fat, he is rather tall, he was there again yesterday, but he gave me the impression he did not want anything to do with others.

@ Moe666 = does this Swedish guy carry a back pack all the time and have grey/white heair always tied back in a small ponytail? reason being is that from time to time I see this guy in Pattaya ad he is always wearing the same clothes allbeit they seem to be clean but he came to my business early one morning saying that he had been robbed and needed to borrow money to get to Bkk to the embassy. Now I have heard this so many times now it is unreal and I cannot put my hand in my pockect all the time etc.

As many of you have said the time will come when they will snap up and say they need help.

we all know what can happen to farangs in los, maybe wife left him for another man ? maybe he lost his passport ? hundred reasons why he doesnt want to return to europe ? or doesnt want to hand himself into the nightmare immagration centre ?

who knows, i would still give the guy the price of a drink or a meal wink.gif

we all know what can happen to farangs in los, maybe wife left him for another man ? maybe he lost his passport ? hundred reasons why he doesnt want to return to europe ? or doesnt want to hand himself into the nightmare immagration centre ?

You come across as either a keyboard warrior or a kid, particularly someone that has never been to Thailand but lives vicariously off others on the web.

You come across as either a keyboard warrior or a kid, particularly someone that has never been to Thailand but lives vicariously off others on the web.

ive been living in thailand for 12 years now. back in uk once in while, have home in isaan and also chon buri am married to thai wife 5 years now, have a baby daughter to her, have lived in bkk. what do you say to that ? rolleyes.gif im waiting but wont hold my breath on a reply. the negativity on this forum is beyond me .. full of b/s****rs bah.gif

Erm no... But that's precisely how you have just come across with a completely off topic personal attack...

Maybe the guy sleeping on the bench had is reasons which could well include the speculation in scorpio's post.

Actually there is a woman around him, who is going through the bins around there looking for plastic bottles and things to sell off at one of those collection places. She is old too, and does most of the work whilst he sits or lays on the bench.

Last night I was there around 10pm and he was on the bench asleep and she was washing at an outside basin.

There was a down and out grifter in lower Sukhumvit last night. Farang. Long grey hair. About fifty-odd trying to sell a small paperback book and generally begging from tourists.

I just find it so sad. Who knows the conjucture of circumstances that led to that? Generally people plot their own downfall. Women and booze are also normally involved.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

ive been living in thailand for 12 years now. back in uk once in while, have home in isaan and also chon buri am married to thai wife 5 years now, have a baby daughter to her, have lived in bkk. what do you say to that ? rolleyes.gif im waiting but wont hold my breath on a reply. the negativity on this forum is beyond me .. full of b/s****rs bah.gif

I say you should know better than wasting compassion on the fools that travel great distances to show how pitiful tey are.

Erm no... But that's precisely how you have just come across with a completely off topic personal attack...

Maybe the guy sleeping on the bench had is reasons which could well include the speculation in scorpio's post.

Erm ... yes. The idiot farangs drifting along in Thailand are there of their own choosing. Yeah, he had his reasons alright, all of the money spent on everything but food and shelter. Your sympathy is better reserved for those that deserve it. There are several orphanages all over Bangkok that would do ,the OP, and the I'd give him a drink and a meal folks a world of good to visit. You are wasting your time on farang neer-do-wells. But it is your time; knock yourself out.

There was a down and out grifter in lower Sukhumvit last night. Farang. Long grey hair. About fifty-odd trying to sell a small paperback book and generally begging from tourists.

A couple years ago I saw a guy the same age in Silom doing the same thing, he had a stack of postcards or something and was approaching tourists trying to sell them . Might be the same dude

Edited by DP25

His face is thin not fat, he is rather tall, he was there again yesterday, but he gave me the impression he did not want anything to do with others.

Maybe he's doing an Eckhart Tolle.

A couple years ago I saw a guy the same age in Silom doing the same thing, he had a stack of postcards or something and was approaching tourists trying to sell them . Might be the same dude

Maybe he makes a living from it? - I mean a job rather than a final act of desperation?

Many Thai beggars in Bangkok. One dude, sits at the bottom of BTS On Nut. All limbs intact. 20/20 vision collecting change from maybe one in five commuters. Do the maths. Even if he is working for a syndicate he must be pulling some money. Much more than I make in a day. Thailand has a beggar culture. Bankok is similar to London in Victorian times. The thing is Farang beggars confuse Thais - farangs are supposed to be rich, right? So they have to hit the tourist zones.

Now don't get me started with babies and begging...

So why not just leave him alone? Why post about him on the internet?

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

I wonder how I come across?

Would some power the gift gie us

to see ourselves as others see us

I doubt many of us can easily imagine the depths of misfortune and despair to which the most unfortunate amongst us plunge

but perhaps we need not presume that others are full of woe simply because they appear somewhat downcast and impoverished, nor gratuitously lend them our pity or charity unless they request it

A simple friendly enquiry to his health might suffice

SC

I doubt many of us can easily imagine the depths of misfortune and despair to which the most unfortunate amongst us plunge

but perhaps we need not presume that others are full of woe simply because they appear somewhat downcast and impoverished, nor gratuitously lend them our pity or charity unless they request it

SC

You come across as a past the sell date hippie/flower child from the 60s. Get real, these farangs were not born here, and did not come here for any reason other than to visit and most likely given the tendency to be alcoholics and drug addicts, to party as long as they can. The sooner they are removed from Thailand, one way or another, the better. Charity, pity, and kindness are more usefully given to those that did not make their own misery and who are trying to help themselves.

You come across as a past the sell date hippie/flower child from the 60s. Get real, these farangs were not born here, and did not come here for any reason other than to visit and most likely given the tendency to be alcoholics and drug addicts, to party as long as they can. The sooner they are removed from Thailand, one way or another, the better. Charity, pity, and kindness are more usefully given to those that did not make their own misery and who are trying to help themselves.

Concerning vpi78, don't waste your time on this one folks. If you've seen his other posts, you will know he is just trolling, looking for trouble, bored, no place to be and no life to live.

Some people know there are many ways to fall and not all of those ways have something to do with what you did and how you did it. It is happening to good people all over the world right now. Other people can't see past themselves.

OP, thanks for the thread.

maybe wife left him for another man ?

Seen it many times when everything is in her name and she kicks you out like an unwanted dog for a new fella and you are left up shit creek without a paddle. After seeing the misery it causes I have covered my bases I suggest anyone else it that predicament does the same.

You also have a so called friend with lots of problems and swear when you’re losing the argument.

Maybe you attract that sort like a magnet or just the argumentative type?

You appear to like using lots of emoticions. Perhaps this is because you can`t think of the words.

SC

Yes, wise words.

I always like to think that I am a common sense person and what you say; is pure common sense.

If people decide to walk the tight rope without a safety net and they fall flat on their faces, who`s to blame?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Note to self:

If I turn into a really nasty horrible piece of work with nothing nice to say then shoot myself in the head.

Yes, I agree with you, but lets put this into perspective.

If some poor bugger finds himself for whatever reasons, destitute, starving and on the streets in Thailand, nice words are not going to put food in his belly, pay for medical, cloth him or put a roof over his head.

Lets me honest, if we hit on hard times, we are on our own, even the people with all the nice words are not going to be interested if a person has complicated problems or going to cost a truck load of cash to get them out of trouble.

That's life in the real world. Try it and see.

So therefore the tragic experiences of these people should act as a warning to those that arrive on Thailand's doorstep, ill prepared, happy go lucky, believing they have made it to paradise.

This has nothing to do with being nasty, only fact, because obviously no one enjoys seeing farangs end up this way. It`s tragic for sure.

As the wise man says; prevention is better then cure, because in Thailand, if you fall down into the gutter, no one is going to pull you out.

Edited by Beetlejuice