5 Days In Chaing Mai?

AntonParr

Hi, loving this forum!

I am just wondering if 4-5 days in Chiang Mai is too much? We will be travelling with my mother in law who has a bad knee so wont be able to do that much trekking. However, we can leave her at the hotel ;) We would probably go to Chiang Rai for a night.

Cheers

Might be a bit much, IMHO.

We did the elephant trek, which was fun - and river rafted. But the very lame village people visit was part of the 'tour' and that really sucked. It was sad, really.

Songkran was more fun there than Bangkok or Ayutthaya. The zoo is a must see in CM. You can rent a car or motorbike cheap and head to Hanghdong and see the wood carvers and great carved wood.

Funny how people can have completely different opinions of Chiang Mai.

I would say that 5 days would not be nearly enough to get a chance to see what Chiang Mai has to offer. Especially if you are going to try to get to Chiang Rai within that time period. Go up Doi Inthanon, spend an afternoon at Huay Tung Tao, If you're here on a weekend, do one of the walking streets, Elephant Camps, river tours, Wiang Kum Kam(Historic City), National Museum, many many Wats, Many different active tours like hiking, zip lines, ATV's, mountain biking.... and like "ding" says try the river rafting, zoo, night safari, and Baan Tawai(woodcarving town) This is all within day trip territory. Greater Chaing Mai offers much much more.

but like "ding' mentioned stay away from the "hilltribe" villages. They are tourist traps and just sad.

Might be a bit much, IMHO.

We did the elephant trek, which was fun - and river rafted. But the very lame village people visit was part of the 'tour' and that really sucked. It was sad, really.

Songkran was more fun there than Bangkok or Ayutthaya. The zoo is a must see in CM. You can rent a car or motorbike cheap and head to Hanghdong and see the wood carvers and great carved wood.

Up to you.

For some one day is to much for others a month is not long enough.

I really think this belongs on a general forum where you will get ideas from people who do not live here. They in all likely hood would be little bit more attuned to what you want.

We here are a bit biased.

If not maybe just plain dingy.

If you have allocated 5 days for Chiang Mai then you will easily fill your time, and there are plenty of activities that will be suitable for everybody on the trip, bad knee or not. The Night Market and Night Bazaar are always worth a visit, especially if it's your first time in town. The Sunday market is excellent, though it may be an idea for you to get there around 6.00pm as the crowds can be overwhelming later in the evening.

You should head out to Doi Suthep, the fitter members of your party can climb the steps, and the others can go up the escalator so the whole party gets to enjoy the view from one of the best temples in Thailand . Head out to Chiang Mai Zoo, that is well worth a trip, as well as Mae Rim. It's not often in life you get a photo of yourself grabbing a Tiger by the Tail as you can at Tiger Kingdom, as well as the rest of the attractions in that area. You could easily spend 5 days in Mae Rim district alone.

Outwith the obvious tourist attractions there is something about Chiang Mai that just draws you in, there are so many hidden gems, bars, restaurants, Thai cafes etc that you'll find yourself busy doing nothing.

Chiang Rai is lovely but I think you should stick to CM, I don't think Chiang Rai is worth the journey for a day trip.

I would add that I have a bad knee and hip on my left side and a broken foot on the right side.

The only thing I can not do is the trekking. Also beware the raft rides some of them require you to get off and climb over big rocks. I was always the last to get there.

Also I can spend two days easily in the Royal Flora gardens. Give us a try we have no end of attractions.

It really depends on your interests, for me five days would be far too short. The temple atop Doi Suthep is a must do (there are litter bearers to take your mother in law up so steps won't be an issue) and will take a full day if you incorporate a couple other nearby stops. There is also a palace a little further up the mountain that can be toured from a golf cart and lots of well developed, very accessible hiking trails along streams and waterfalls in the Doi Pui - Doi Suthep national park that straddles the road up the mountain. Plenty of more challenging / interesting trails elsewhere but these are easy to get to and conveniently located with some waterfall areas and overlooks easily accessible for those with bad knees. The zoo is nice but hardly world class, I don't think it is worth a trip unless there are no good zoos where you come from or you really want to see the pandas. The Sunday walking street is great and fills an afternoon / evening. The Mae Rim area offers many attractions including orchid farms and the Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden (orchid farms don't require a great deal of walking and would likely appeal to most mothers, Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden is accessible from a car). There are numerous animal shows and outdoor pursuits in the same area including elephant camps, tiger / monkey / snake shows, 4 wheeling, shooting ranges, hiking, waterfalls, etc. If you are interested in shopping there are numerous options and if you are planning on buying much in the way of handicrafts you can head to the villages around Chiang Mai and get great discounts or take in a few factory tours / demonstrations (Bo Sang / San Khampang). I'm not a fan of the night market personally but that seems to be popular with most tourists and is likely worth a look. I would also suggest Warorot Market for more local flavor, inside during the day for unique regional products and outside at night for textiles and food (some very good street food, the basement of the indoor area also has what I consider to be the best khao soi in the city). If it was me, at least a day would be dedicated to temples in and around the city (Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Jet Yod, Wat Umong, Wat Phra Singh being the ones I would most recommend with more than a hundred other options). For history buffs Wiang Kum Kam is a must do and could take five days for those really interested in it (if ruins aren't your thing then probably worth a pass). Many other options in the area.

What are your interests?

Edited by CPT

Chiang mai is great I think all of the sights covered here. Chiang Rai has some good stuff also, the white Temple is a must see as well as the home of Tawan Duchnee google him he is a Thai artist. His home and art sight noth of Chiang Rai is very interesting and worth a see, many people donot know about him.

but like "ding' mentioned stay away from the "hilltribe" villages. They are tourist traps and just sad.

Tourist traps? Absolutely!! But not sad as the constructed "villages" are filled with gainfully employed people. You might be misconstruing ennui with sadness as the people working in these places on a daily basis can become bored catering to tourists. And you can easily find a real village, but there is little going on mid-day as most people are at work or tending their fields and thus one would be totally bored.

I never understand the sudden bad rap of hilltribe villages. There is a tiny percentage of them that are heavily touristed to the point that tourism is even on the radar as a main source of income, and I don't know of even one that is actually artificial (as in, constructed for the purpose) not saying they don't exist, and I'd be first in line to advise you against visiting a Long Neck Karen village because it's just so awkward.

But when some dude visits Chiang Mai one time, and went on one 'one day see-it-all' tour and that one tour visited a village where the primary source of income is tourism, and then claim to stay away from 'all hilltribe villages' is just... well, let's be nice: insufficiently informed.

When you do visit hilltribe villages I'd try to shoot for a weekend or Thai holiday (or actual hilltribe holiday of course of that particular group). Then the kids won't be in school so there will just be more going on in the villages itself.

Also, and please all let this sink in: you can NOT go on any meaningful trip through the mountains (off the main roads) to enjoy the scenery, waterfalls and forests and NOT hit hilltribe villages; they are simply all over the place. See a road or trail? You know why that's there? It's BECAUSE it leads to either hilltribe villages or their fields. Trails are not there for a tourist's pleasure. So good luck trying to avoid them. You'll need a helicopter. The only way to visit the mountains and have a chance of avoiding hill tribe people and their villages: http://www.advanceaviation.co.th/site/ (though make sure not to look out a window)

</rant> :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 3 weeks later...

I think 5 days will be fine then, it's just that most of my friends who have been to Thailand just did Bangkok and then the coast.

I am looking forward to experiencing the true Thai culture and learning about its history.

I think we will skip the Zoo & Tigers, we went on a Tiger safari in India last year and saw them roaming in their natural habitat. Much more enjoyable then getting a picture taken with one!

Thanks!

Edited by AntonParr

I think 5 days will be fine then, it's just that most of my friends who have been to Thailand just did Bangkok and then the coast.

I am looking forward to experiencing the true Thai culture and learning about its history.

I think we will skip the Zoo & Tigers, we went on a Tiger safari in India last year and saw them roaming in their natural habitat. Much more enjoyable then getting a picture taken with one!

Thanks!

You will be sadly disappointed with CM

No Thai culture here apart from tourist show.

This is 2nd largest city in Thailand, like other city in world.

Thai culture start 40Km out of CM

Note

If you daft enough to walk around with 'lonely planet guide to Thailand' in hand, everyone will charge double price for you.

Edited by OlafStapleton

Just wander off the main roads and into the small sois (lanes) and there is plenty of Thai culture - even in the tourist areas. If you get a little bit out of the farang areas there is plenty more. ;)

This is 2nd largest city in Thailand, like other city in world.

That's ridiculous;

Thai culture starts about 300 km from Chiang Mai.

In and around Chiang Mai you get Lanna / Muang culture. Once you hit Phitsanulok or so then we'll talk Thai.

( BTW, how far from Paris does French culture start? How far from Stockholm does Swedish culture start? :rolleyes: )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I could easily take someone a mere 10km outside the city to find relatively traditional Lanna life. I know this may surprise many on these boards, but there is life outside the Farang ghetto housing estates.

Please stop stating that Chiang Mai is Thailand's largest city, it seems to be a popularly held belief, but not true.

You are correct. Bangkok is Thailand's largest city. :P

Ooops, if youre going to be pedantic it pays to be correct :lol:

Please stop stating that Chiang Mai is Thailand's largest city, it seems to be a popularly held belief, but not true.

You are correct. Bangkok is Thailand's largest city. :P

And I don't think there is consensus on the number two. Because they tend to count only people officially registered inside the city (Muang) district. So then you get to very low numbers generally, with for example Udon showing more residents than Chiang Mai. Clearly that's not correct, as anyone who has driven around Udon and Chiang Mai can see for himself.

Not saying Chiang Mai is second largest, it's quite possible that Khorat or Had Yai are bigger, but I do know that there are no numbers out there that you can trust.