Foreigners As Undercover Police Informers

sharecropper

In the hope this thread doesn't get closed in seconds with an outpouring of bile, I reckon 99% of posters would NOT voluntarily assist the police by posing undercover to bring down a foreigner and his business, except perhaps where clear proof was presented that:

1. I it involved GENUINE child or other people abuse or trafficking (and not a patent scam by the police to get more tea money from a dopey bar owner)

2. It involved other serious crime such as major drugs or murder, and the request to assist came from a very senior level in Soi 9.

But in cases where people have been arrested for, say, no work permit, or visa overstay or similar offence, and the police say "we will put you away for 5 or 10 years unless you become an undercover informant/agent to be used however we wish, and whenever we wish", how many posters would agree to that deal I wonder?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can dress up the motives to defend this practise however you like

an informer is still an informer and informers are low lifes in my opinion

i remember being privy to a conversation in which a highly regarded local farang was discussing problems he was having with a neighbouring farang business

during the conversation he said, ''i wonder if he has a work permit to run that business?''

the very fact that he even thought of using that tack against the other farang, showed me the kind of person he was.

i left the group that day and have never spoke to the person since..........

About 3 years ago someone spilt the beans on the farang drug takers/sellers,funnily enough most are not here no more,so at least that was a good deeed and maybe the guy got a reduced sentence too,but i dont know nothing lol

i remember being privy to a conversation in which a highly regarded local farang was discussing problems he was having with a neighbouring farang business

during the conversation he said, ''i wonder if he has a work permit to run that business?''

the very fact that he even thought of using that tack against the other farang, showed me the kind of person he was.

So, if faced with a 5 year sentence unless you helped them, would you do the time instead?

Would you get a WP for it, otherwise it is working illegally, and if someone was caught they could say that the person who was working undercover did not have a WP or even a valid one to do that job, as specified in the WP.

But in cases where people have been arrested for, say, no work permit, or visa overstay or similar offence, and the police say "we will put you away for 5 or 10 years unless you become an undercover informant/agent to be used however we wish, and whenever we wish", how many posters would agree to that deal I wonder?

Given that choice i would think 100 % of people would opt for becomming an informer!:(

So, if faced with a 5 year sentence unless you helped them, would you do the time instead?

i don't understand the question, why would i have to do your five years if i didn't help?

Given that choice i would think 100 % of people would opt for becomming an informer!:(

I agree.

But I wonder how many would just say "yes" to that deal, then do a runner from the Kingdom rather than be faced with the guilt and shame of ratting out others for the remainder of your stay. I am sure whatever people think, most would become an informer and stay put.

i don't understand the question, why would i have to do your five years if i didn't help?

For the trivial offence they originally arrested you for, which they are now menacing you with.

I guess you have to be a special kind of person to RAT on some one.

Sometimes a very scared person too.Until u are in the position of 15 years in jail and grassing what would u choose,easy to say RAT,and i would feel the same in normal situation,but these guys are either tourist police,doing their so called job or informants,saving their arse.

Tell me a rat or die in prison,up to you

Edited by somtampet

i would agree in the first instance then quietly leave the country

i don't know a single Thai who can keep their own council

you would not remain a confidential informer for long and would soon be a traget of those you informed upon

theres no good news in being an informant, especially here.......

For the trivial offence they originally arrested you for, which they are now menacing you with.

i would agree to help initially then skip the country.........

I agree.

But I wonder how many would just say "yes" to that deal, then do a runner from the Kingdom rather than be faced with the guilt and shame of ratting out others for the remainder of your stay. I am sure whatever people think, most would become an informer and stay put.

Very sill answer,they take your passport until they are finished with u.What does happen in reality when the shit hits the fan,anybody else involved in that particular illegal activity do leave the country,because they know how it works here,u apparently dont

I agree.

Very sill answer,they take your passport until they are finished with u.What does happen in reality when the shit hits the fan,anybody else involved in that particular illegal activity do leave the country,because they know how it works here,u apparently dont

if you think not having a passport can stop a very motivated person leaving a country then you are very silly indeed.....

No way in the world would I inform on anyone. That is the job for the police. I don't care if I go to the gallows, I'm not doing it. Why should someone else pay for something I have done to get myself into the mess.

Definitely NOT.

Edited by Wallaby

I would simply mosey on down to the embassy and apply for another stating mine was lost.

No way in the world would I inform on anyone. That is the job for the police. I don't care if I go to the gallows, I'm not doing it. Why should someone else pay for something I have done to get myself into the mess.

Definitely NOT.

Good honourable man,u go to the gallows for a stranger,my hero

I am closely involved in the 'farang' business scene in the entertainment industry, let me tell you, all is fair in love, war and business. Not only do most foreign business owners have to 'take care' of the constabulary but also guard themselves (sometimes more so) from their foreign counterparts. The only veil of security that can be afforded revolves around the 'people in glass houses...' principle.... For hundreds of years Asian cultures have established and thrived in countries all over the world, banding together and expanding, Chinese, Vietnamese, to mention a few that come to mind. I have been an expat for over 20yrs now and nowhere have I seen such outright aggression toward fellow countrymen than I see here in Thailand. The situation is that NOBODY has any security here in this land, and with no viable avenue of justice, turn on each other like drowning rats. It is truly sad IMHO. Their building castles in the air anyway. I could go on forever trust me, but the situation just disgusts me. Oz

Do the police decide on how long you go to prison? or the courts?

I would simply mosey on down to the embassy and apply for another stating mine was lost.

And what happens when the photo from old passport is same same,and on the border control camera ??????.

Same name same everything.I would get a fake one,can be done quite easy here J, but how good is the fake.Most of us knew the guy who got chased by the gun totting cops,he got home via other places,near miracle realy.

Do the police decide on how long you go to prison? or the courts?

As you're sitting in a Soi 9 cell or Nong Palai, the police are telling you you WILL go down for 5 years if you don't help them.

But yeah, I suspect the police get their way on maximum sentencing with a word in the prosecutor's ear in many cases where they want to teach someone a lesson, regardless if they want you to be a snitch or not.

Definitely NOT.

Ha ha ha. One week in the Bangkok Hilton and you would be singing like a canary. That I'm sure.

Definitely NOT.

Ha ha ha. One week in the Bangkok Hilton and you would be singing like a canary. That I'm sure.

lets hope none of us are ever put to the test, especially at the hands of a farang judas....................

Edited by timekeeper

And what happens when the photo from old passport is same same,and on the border control camera ??????.

Same name same everything.I would get a fake one,can be done quite easy here J, but how good is the fake.Most of us knew the guy who got chased by the gun totting cops,he got home via other places,near miracle realy.

It would be an illegal seizure, I would be surprised if it was made "official".