Satelite Radio

PhillipJ

A friend of mine has just returned from an extended time in India and had good experiences with a satelite radio to pick up news and music stations. I think the system is called "world space". I've found a couple of places who sell the radios in Bangkok, but does anyone have experience in using them in Thailand, especially in the north?

Hi Phillip,

I've got a couple WorldSpace recievers. One I have mounted inside my house in Pattaya & the other I keep in my truck. I just toss the small dish on the dashboard & it works all over Thailand as long as you're not directly underneath a structure.

I took it with me to Taiwan once & it worked quite well there also.

Where did you find shops in BKK selling them? I had a couple friends bring mine to me from a store in the UK.

Thanks,

El D

I found the shops advertised on the web after searching for worldspace and Thailand. One shop in Bangkok and one in Phuket. I didn't save the links, sorry.

Thanks for your comments. When in Thailand I spend most of my time in rural Phayao province where there is no decent radio reception, so to stop myself going mad i think I'll have to buy one of these.

Here you go Randy.

http://www.radio-hundred.com/receiver.htm (in Phuket)

http://www.worldradioshop.com/where.htm (various locations)

They're around $140 USD & the speaker on mine is shit. I have the one in my house connected to some computer speakers & I connect the one in my truck to its stereo system.

Just don't count on great sound coming from the radio's mounted speaker.

Aside from that it gets crystal clear reception.

CDK,

El D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a question, checked out the worldspace website and they say they are subscription, but in the Bangkok Post article he said he gets about 40 free channels. Whats the deal? Are they free channels or subscription? Or do you just get more channels with the subscription? Hows the selection?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry SBK,

I've been out of town & haven't checked the board here recently.

I used to get 2 decent free English (USA based) music stations, Radio Voyager & UpCountry as well as CNN & BBC, Bloomberg & a couple others I never listen to-one jazz station & I think there's also a House/Dance music station.

The other 30-some-odd stations are Indian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai, Chinese etc.

Radio Voyager is a pop/rock station (lot's of Sheryl Crowe, Lenny Kravitz, U2 etc).

UpCountry is of course country music.

UpCountry just became a subscription only station.

They also offer Orbit Rock via subscription & it's old 60's & 70's classic rock.

They offer "The Hop" which is 50's type oldies, & "Oyemei", which is a Latino-Salsa-Meringue station--these are all thru subscription only.

The WorldSpace company is based in India, & you have to get them to fax an order form to you, then you enter your CC info & fax it back to them. You can request the form by emailing [email protected]

The subscription price is 199 Indian Rupiahs ($4.40USD) for 6 months.