Oil Cooler Replace/ Re-Core?

andrew55

The oil cooler fins on my old 400 are looking like they've been shot at once or twice too often.

Is this something that needs to be original? Can mine be re-cored? After-market? Anything do? I really know nothing.

Bike is located outside Sukhothai but I drive between there and BKK most months so area to buy/ repair not important. Could even use the excuse to ride to CM if can do there (like I need an excuse - I wear the trousers... but she tells me which ones!)

Hope someone can provide info.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

It would help if you tell us what bike?

I had a radiator re cored before and also a complete new one made. But be aware they work in brass not alloy SO it will be heavier. The new rad was about 3 times heavier than the old oneph34r.gif

you can replace it with a new one, usually made in heavy brass, I would go larger cooler for an old bike.

if you want new low weight aluminum, check out Toyota, Mitsu etc autotranny oil coolers

replace oil and filter, run it 30 seconds, let oil sink and top up, now you know how much oil your engine and new cooler needs :)

It would help if you tell us what bike?

I had a radiator re cored before and also a complete new one made. But be aware they work in brass not alloy SO it will be heavier. The new rad was about 3 times heavier than the old oneph34r.gif

Thanks for the reply thaicbr.

XJR400.

Not too worried about weight.

Costs?

you can replace it with a new one, usually made in heavy brass, I would go larger cooler for an old bike.

if you want new low weight aluminum, check out Toyota, Mitsu etc autotranny oil coolers

replace oil and filter, run it 30 seconds, let oil sink and top up, now you know how much oil your engine and new cooler needs :)

Thanks for reply. Your posts are always knowlegable.

Not too worried about weight. Just want functional and no more expensive than necessary.

Any idea of cost?