Entry On The 2Nd Passport

For professional reasons, I have two passport of my home country. I use one of them (passport number 1) with my NON-IMM annual visa, and that's the only passport I've ever dealt with Thai immigration.

Without explaining all the reasons why I might need to do so, my question is:

- can I exit Thailand with passport 1, do my trip and re-enter Thailand with passport 2 on a visa on arrival? Of course I would leave the country in due time on passport number 2, and after my trip re-enter with passport number 1 and the usual NON-IMM visa.

But I wonder if Thai immigration is ok with it...

Land entry points look for the depart stamp of the country you are coming from (Lao, Cambodia, wherever) and considering that you can't get a depart without an arrival stamp, you're snookered. Bangkok Airport immigration have no idea where you came from and will accept any valid passport as a fresh entry, subject to what thai visa they find in it.

Land entry points look for the depart stamp of the country you are coming from (Lao, Cambodia, wherever) and considering that you can't get a depart without an arrival stamp, you're snookered. Bangkok Airport immigration have no idea where you came from and will accept any valid passport as a fresh entry, subject to what thai visa they find in it.

That sounds like the ideal scenario. So basically by flying back into Thailand on my 2nd passport, I could just enjoy my visa on arrival, leave the country when it's due, reenter the country with the other passport and my NON-IMM visa is still valid?

That sounds like the ideal scenario. So basically by flying back into Thailand on my 2nd passport, I could just enjoy my visa on arrival, leave the country when it's due, reenter the country with the other passport and my NON-IMM visa is still valid?

Yes, as long as it's by air.

Just to clarify -- by flying into Bangkok, yes, but I have no idea if regional airports are as easy-going ;)

FWIW -

I had occasion to do a passport shuffle like this going into Laos at Ventienne Airport and the official was looking for my exit stamp from Thailand. Only an unsolicited diversion distracted him enough so he forgot what he was looking for and just stamped me in -- Phew!

Edited by jpinx

Up to immigration. Chances are they will notice you are using two passports and might not be amused and they can cancel your visa/ permission to stay.

What they will do is anyones guess and your risk.

do you have direct experience of that, or friends' anecdotes?

Up to immigration. Chances are they will notice you are using two passports and might not be amused and they can cancel your visa/ permission to stay.

What they will do is anyones guess and your risk.

Not saying that you are wrong, but I have been passport-shuffling for a couple of years and they do not seem to notice anything. From sneaking a peek at the screen they appear to use the passport number only. Having said that - it is always a risk and the OP needs to have a backup plan.

Others have reported they did notice, and with computers and photo's taken of you the chanches that they will notice is increasing.

Nothing wrong with having two passports, but having two visas in two different passports is something else. Especailly if one is not suppposed to have two different visas at the same time.