Comparison Of Visa Costs

Am I missing something in this comparison between visa costs?

I have assumed one can convert the 30day permission to stay to O visa, or does one have to get a proper TR visa first?

Tourist TR visa:

TR with 3 entries = 210 days (incl initial 30 permit to enter)

Cost of triple entry TR visa = 3,000Baht

Costs to go to Savanakhet for Visa = 3,500Baht

Costs of 2 visa runs from Bangkok = 3,800Baht

Total is 10,300Baht = almost 50Baht/day

Retirement O Visa:

Convert permission to enter to "O" visa after 30 days = 2000Baht

Apply for retirement visa = 1900Baht

Any costs to get renewal stamps every 90 days?

SubTotal 3,900Baht for 395 days (includes initial 30days on arrival) = 10Baht/day

Lost interest on 800,000 Baht @ 5% difference for 365 days plus 60 days "lying time" in Thai bank = 46,000Baht approx

Total 49,900Baht for 395 days = 125baht/day

Overstay and pay fine:

300 days fine 20,000Baht = 66.67Baht/day

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Nonthaburi immigration, doing a 90 day report.

All they want is the TM47 and one copy of the picture page of your passport.

No charge.

Your office may vary.

Visa costs do not include the money in the bank. So 10baht per day is cheaper than the TR Visas, which also did not include any visas to enter Laos.

Also they could turn you away and refuse you a visa in Laos, as a genuine tourist would not stay for a year, reports on here suggest some places are doing this.

Edited by beano2274

Visa costs do not include the money in the bank. So 10baht per day is cheaper than the TR Visas, which also did not include any visas to enter Laos.

Also they could turn you away and refuse you a visa in Laos, as a genuine tourist would not stay for a year, reports on here suggest some places are doing this.

Fair comment about missing the Lao visa - 1,500Baht.

The lost interest is a cost, same as the cost of travel to Lao for the TR visa.

I disagree about the TR visa not being secure. If Thai immigration did not want tourists for 3x60 days they would not make that visa option available. True - getting back-to-back multiple entry visas has caused some trouble, but that is a different issue.

You only have to have the money in bank three months before applying.

For first application only two months.

So I have to have it in 2 months before applying for retirement O and can take it out immediately I have the visa? Or am I being too optimistic?

You only have to have the money in bank three months before applying.

For first application only two months.

So I have to have it in 2 months before applying for retirement O and can take it out immediately I have the visa? Or am I being too optimistic?

Yes, you can take it out.

there is no lost interest for me, as I bank here in Thailand, maybe others do to.

Interesting -- Can you get decent rates on investments? I see only 1.1% or thereabouts, whereas I am getting 6% in an Australian bank.

there is no lost interest for me, as I bank here in Thailand, maybe others do to.

Interesting -- Can you get decent rates on investments? I see only 1.1% or thereabouts, whereas I am getting 6% in an Australian bank.

I live and work in Thailand, my bank is here, I do not have a foreign bank account anymore.

Edited by beano2274

I live and work in Thailand, my bank is here, I do not have a foreign bank account anymore.

Ah - ok - I am looking at this from a pensioners point of view ;)

Overstay and pay fine:

Assuming of course you don't get caught in the meantime and given some free accommodation whistling.gif

Edited by Tafia

Overstay and pay fine:

Assuming of course you don't get caught in the meantime and given some free accommodation whistling.gif

heh -- in the wonderful world of statistical analysis that would actually make it cheaper per day B)

Okay, 2.5% is a slight improvement on the 1.2% I was told from K, but still a long way from 6%.

I suppose I would have to pay Thai tax on the interest in the Thai bank, whereas I am legally tax-free in my overseas account. B)

Getting married to gain 5% on 400,000Baht seriously devalues marriage. :ermm:

TNB no fixed account pay 2.5%

OK for immigration and letter.

Get married to reduce bank deposit from 800k to 400k

A retirement extension of stay is 800k/65k regardless of being married or not. If you have a Thai wife there is another option that is 400k but it is not retirement and requires more paperwork, investigation and at least 30 days under review each year.

Okay, 2.5% is a slight improvement on the 1.2% I was told from K, but still a long way from 6%.

I suppose I would have to pay Thai tax on the interest in the Thai bank, whereas I am legally tax-free in my overseas account. B)

Getting married to gain 5% on 400,000Baht seriously devalues marriage. :ermm:

Nobody ask me for tax

Most live with a woman anyway

15% Tax is deducted by the Banks when the interest is paid into your Bank Account.

Thanks . that is what I suspected. Top rate seems to be a limited time special offer of 7.25% at K for 12months term. Minus tax puts it at 6.15% net. That makes a lot more sense.B)

Off to see about multi-entry retirement visa for when I come back at the end of October.

What about voluntary work? Will I need a degree exemption and work-permit to volunteer to do arts and crafts with kids out in the sticks? (Ubon Ratchatani)

15% Tax is deducted by the Banks when the interest is paid into your Bank Account.

Thanks . that is what I suspected. Top rate seems to be a limited time special offer of 7.25% at K for 12months term. Minus tax puts it at 6.15% net. That makes a lot more sense.B)

Off to see about multi-entry retirement visa for when I come back at the end of October.

What about voluntary work? Will I need a degree exemption and work-permit to volunteer to do arts and crafts with kids out in the sticks? (Ubon Ratchatani)

Volunteer work requires a WP, do not worry about degree exemption things. However, a WP might not be given to someone on a Retirement visa.

Volunteer work requires a WP, do not worry about degree exemption things. However, a WP might not be given to someone on a Retirement visa.

I have heard mixed stories about that. What's the difference between O and O-A visas (based on retirement) ?

I have heard mixed stories about that. What's the difference between O and O-A visas (based on retirement) ?

O-A visa is only given in home country.

O-A visa requires health declaration and police report.

O-A visa gives one year permission to stay when entering Thailand.

An O-A visa is specifically for retirement, while the non-O visa is also granted for other reasones, such as marriage to a Thai or volunteering.

The O-A visa gives you a permission to stay for 1 year upon entry, a non-O only 90 days. After that you have to get an extension of stay, for which the same rules apply regardless of the visa.

A multiple O-A will give you each time you enter Thailand a permisison to stay for 1 year, during the validity of the visa. A multiple non-O would only give 90 days on each entry during the time the visa is valid. Thus by leaving and re-entering just before the visa expires you cna get two years out of an O-A visa and 15 months out of a non-O visa.

The O-A visa is more difficult to get, as you need to submit a health declaration from a doctor and a police check. This is not required for a non-O visa. Also the O-A visa can only applied for in your country of residence. The non-O visa in any country.

Thanks -- I'll be looking at a multiple entry O - report every 90 days and extend by going out and in again on day before it runs out. Am I on the right path now?

With multiple entry O you must leave every 90 days, no need for 90 day reporting.

O-A visa gives you 1 year with need to do 90 day reporting.