Why The Extra 1000 Baht?

I have located a nice house in Bang Phra area in an estate and I was told the rent was 5000 baht per month. Upon inspection the landlady said 6000 baht per month due to new items and modifications done. I agreed.

Today I call her to fix the contract and to pay the one month and one month as guarrantee and this should be 6000+6000 = 12000 baht. However she says it is 13000 baht.

What is the extra 1000 for?

looks like it...i may not go to see her in the end...this is 'inapprppriate'....

wise choice, if she is trying to stitch you up before you've even moved in then what's she going to be like as a landlady :blink:

if it were me, I would have to ask her though :whistling:

No agreement so far we were supposed to sign it today....I am surprised she said 13000 baht when our verbal agreement is 6000 baht + 6000 baht for the guarantee...= 12000 baht, but she corrected me saying 13000 baht...I wonder what is this extra 1000 baht for?

Actually She rang me later and I asked her and she denied the 13000 baht bit she said "I never said that , it is 13000...it is 12000...maybe you heard wrong"..

Maybe i am turning nutters...Anyway, went to the place met her, picked up the contract and I will have the mrs. sign it...I even had to say sorry for the misunderstanding...This kind of thing happens a lot in the LOS right? In the ocntract it is clearly written as 6000 and deposit another 6000 total = 12000...Maybe I am mad and hearing things...Anyway at least the house and the quality is top notch.

Keep smiling and profess that there is a slight misunderstanding. Allude to the fact that you have other friends interested in term leases. Keep smiling, and engage her greed. I have found that greed, as in all countries, is the basal instinct. Play it out ... enjoy, it's Asia.

In Thai, the number 2 and 3 do sound similar, especially if said fast and Thai is not your native language. Been more cases than one where I have misunderstood a number containing the number 2 or 3....and the further to the left of the decimal point either one of those numbers is can lead to a surprise in verbal deals.

Glad you got that solved. Easy to not hear it correctly coming from anyone with a foreign accent even a slight one.

4 years ago in Phuket I answered an add for a nice 3 bdr house with extra out buildings, private electronic gate, swimming pool, guard dogs, and private beach. 4,000 per week. Couldn't believe it and called. He yes owner was desperate to lease. So I went. Sure enough it was a private villa with 5 buildings and two extra guest houses. And two large Dobermans! Big swimming pool and private beach. I said are you sure only 4,000 a week not 4,000 a day? He nope 4,000 a week. I said that's 16,000 a month. He said rent it for 6 months and we'll make it 12,000 a month. I said 12,000 Baht a month? He looked at me funny and said no, "US DOLLARS"! We both got a good laugh...I left!

Pib

The numbers 2 & 3 in Thai do notsound similar whatsoever! Song & Sam - what are you hearing?

LOL

In Thai, the number 2 and 3 do sound similar, especially if said fast and Thai is not your native language. Been more cases than one where I have misunderstood a number containing the number 2 or 3....and the further to the left of the decimal point either one of those numbers is can lead to a surprise in verbal deals.