Pvr Problems

bushwacker

Greetings to all! I am having a problem recording future programs with my PVR. This True PVR (truly a piece of shit) and I say that without prejudice as it has never really worked very well. It was taken by the True people once to fix when it was under warrantee and the bastards kept it for 2.5 months and returned it in the same condition that it was taken minus all of my preset personal programing. How the hell can it take 2.5 months to fix (really not fix) a piece of electronics. Good question!

Here is the problem. Now when I set to record future programs, say 8 each night, the next day shows me the programs have recorded but when I go to them to view them, a message flashes up saying "Unrecordable. Press stop to return to menu". So with 8 scheduled on a bad night, only 2 are actually recorded and one might freeze half way thru. On a good night, only 4 of the 8 record and 1 or 2 of these may freeze up never to progress. About a year ago I had this Unrecordable problem with maybe 1 program each month, but lately it is unbelievable.

It is so bad that I can actually look at "My Programs" listing and see that a particular program is currently being recorded. I then select it to view what has already been recorded and up flashes the "Unrecordable" message. So in other words one part of the PVR is going through the process of recording but actually is recording nothing.

The PVR is 1.5 years old.

I know the problem cannot be the weather because there are just too many programs that do not record. And I can actually watch a program live while another program is recording only to find out the the recording program is an "Unrecordable".

Any body out there that has had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks for the help ...

cheers

Cancel the TRUE PVR and get an after market unit. Dreambox DM800

and DM8000 are awesome. Allow you to watch movies on your computer

as well as they are net-workable ...

Cheers,

rudi

First thing to do is see if you get reliable operation recording

one and only one program per night. If this works repeatedly, then

go to 2 and so on until you run in to problems.

Sometimes the software is not airtight and you may be getting memory

conflicts or states which the software can not handle.

Eight programs in one night is a bit much IMO.

Surely you can live with 3 or 4 and it might just be fine at this level.

The other thing to do is to try a complete reinstall of the system

as if it was going to a new household. Let the True tech do it for you.

He sets up systems every day I would think.

If that all fails, demand another system or your money back.

Edited by paulfr

First thing to do is see if you get reliable operation recording

one and only one program per night. If this works repeatedly, then

go to 2 and so on until you run in to problems.

Sometimes the software is not airtight and you may be getting memory

conflicts or states which the software can not handle.

Eight programs in one night is a bit much IMO.

Surely you can live with 3 or 4 and it might just be fine at this level.

The other thing to do is to try a complete reinstall of the system

as if it was going to a new household. Let the True tech do it for you.

He sets up systems every day I would think.

If that all fails, demand another system or your money back.

Sorry Paul, that all sounds like an excuse for why the PVR provided

by True does not work properly. A PVR should work, period.

You should be able to record/watch ONE channel at a time. Most

cheap standard units will not support more. My DM8000 with dual

satellite recievers and dish with dual LNBs allows me to watch/record

4 different channels at a time.

I usually watch a movie on my computer (30" monitor), while my gf

watches some Thai Soap in the living room, and my kids the cartoon

channel on their notebook ... and sometimes I record as well ... all

works like a charm, but probably more than most people want to

spend. Your get what you pay for ...

Cheers,

rudi

I am having the same problems as Bushwaker (the OP). If I re-boot once a day, it works for one day and then returns to the same problem. Before, it was only the odd one that it wouldn't record, but now it is a bigger problem. I have had a preliminary discussion with one of True's customer service representatives and he said there are others with the same problem and in the past, their technicians could not fix these software problems.

That would mean, the issue lies with the manufacturer (Humax) which should be issuing software upgrades and patches when bugs arise.

I sent my box to True last week and wait to see what happens. Humax has an office in Bangkok and I have sent them an email. However, I may be putting the cart before the horse since I haven't received my PVR back yet from True. Should problems still arise, I will be visiting the good people at Humax to see what can be done.

I started a thread or two last year shortly after i got PVR. At that time, the sytem ran pretty well but with the occasional program freezing mid-way through. I never got an answer on how to fix this issue, but did through my own trial and error come to the conclusion that the chances of freezing seemed increased if i was using the machine at the time of the recording. So i started to make sure that if recording was scheduled, i would not use the TV during that time. Annoying as being able to record and watch another channel at the same time was one of the main reasons for getting it, but at least this way the freezing problem was minimized.

Anyway, that problem aside, about a month ago i started to get a new problem, that previously was quite rare. The exact same problem you guys are having. You record something, and when you go to watch, you get the black screen with the unrecordable message. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but it seems especially prevalent with night time recordings. The fact that we are all experiencing the same problem at the same time, seems suspicious to me. A software bug perhaps?

Having previously worked in the servicing and repair of electrical equipment, and knowing about the way in which True values its custom (ie not at all) i will definitely not be sending the machine to be repaired, as i know all that will happen is they will keep it a few months and return in the same, if not worse, state.

Be interested to know how you get on though Old Man River. Keep us posted please.

To luudee: can you tell us what you paid for your dreamboxes and where you bought them from?

I started a thread or two last year shortly after i got PVR. At that time, the sytem ran pretty well but with the occasional program freezing mid-way through. I never got an answer on how to fix this issue, but did through my own trial and error come to the conclusion that the chances of freezing seemed increased if i was using the machine at the time of the recording. So i started to make sure that if recording was scheduled, i would not use the TV during that time. Annoying as being able to record and watch another channel at the same time was one of the main reasons for getting it, but at least this way the freezing problem was minimized.

Anyway, that problem aside, about a month ago i started to get a new problem, that previously was quite rare. The exact same problem you guys are having. You record something, and when you go to watch, you get the black screen with the unrecordable message. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but it seems especially prevalent with night time recordings. The fact that we are all experiencing the same problem at the same time, seems suspicious to me. A software bug perhaps?

Having previously worked in the servicing and repair of electrical equipment, and knowing about the way in which True values its custom (ie not at all) i will definitely not be sending the machine to be repaired, as i know all that will happen is they will keep it a few months and return in the same, if not worse, state.

Be interested to know how you get on though Old Man River. Keep us posted please.

To luudee: can you tell us what you paid for your dreamboxes and where you bought them from?

I got the PVR back yesterday (less than 2 weeks) so they were prompt. I want to wait a few days before going back to True, but so far it is OK on about half the recordings (better than nothing?). You are right in that the biggest problem in getting the unrecordable screens is with night time recordings, with the freezing about half way through occurring on some of the day time records. I did have the normal TV viewing screen freeze twice today which has never happened before. I talked to them about this and was told they have heard this from other PVR customers and to call them, reset to default and they will resend the signal. So far so good on this.

There does seem to be a lot about the PVR on the Thai websites, but since I can't read Thai, I don't know if they are raving about the PVR or complaining.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for responding.

Rixalex,

In the past two days since I last posted, I have to say that the PVR has worked excellently! I was skeptical when I got it back from True after servicing on Tuesday and immediately had a problem. However, once their customer service rep reset the signal for me, I haven't had one problem and believe me, I have been testing it a lot.

Nighttime recordings which previously yielded a black screen have had no problem and no recordings since Wednesday have had any problems. I must have recorded at least 10 shows without a problem.

I realize that I am jinxing myself by writing this, but what can I say? Should the situation change I will let you know, but as of now, it is working as good as when I first bought it from them (I was one of their beta testers and one of the first to buy the PVR from them).

Rixalex,

In the past two days since I last posted, I have to say that the PVR has worked excellently! I was skeptical when I got it back from True after servicing on Tuesday and immediately had a problem. However, once their customer service rep reset the signal for me, I haven't had one problem and believe me, I have been testing it a lot.

Nighttime recordings which previously yielded a black screen have had no problem and no recordings since Wednesday have had any problems. I must have recorded at least 10 shows without a problem.

I realize that I am jinxing myself by writing this, but what can I say? Should the situation change I will let you know, but as of now, it is working as good as when I first bought it from them (I was one of their beta testers and one of the first to buy the PVR from them).

Thanks for the feedback OMR. Great to hear that things seem improved. Did they do the work under warrantee? Surprised if they did as unlike the regular receivers, PVR was only available to buy, so once a year has passed, you are on your own - at least that is what they implied when i bought mine.

And it does seem like they have given up on PVR, at least in terms of new customers. When i ordered mine they tried to talk me out of it. It was also quite ominous that on the blurb that came with the machine, there was a bit about if True stopped providing the PVR service, the machine would still be operable. And speaking of the service, when i got the machine they said for the first year they would waive the monthly service charge - about 300 baht i think. Over a year has passed and they are still waiving. Same for everyone else?

Anyway, will give some thought to sending mine in, although will be a bit of a wrench to lose all the stuff that is on the hard drive.

Please keep us updated on how the machine performs.

Stupidly, I tempted the AV gods. I should have learned from the times I tempted the golf gods and paid dearly. Today, it stopped working. I called, they resent the signal, but it still didn't work. However, when I called I was given new info which I think you will find interesting, given the info you provided.

I was told that they are abandoning the Humax PVR and sometime around October will offer a Samsung engineered High Definition PVR (referred to as a hybrid) manufactured especially for Truevisions. Also (but this hasn't been confirmed), I was told that they will make the new PVR available first to those of us who have purchased the PVR and are having problems (there must be many Thai's that are also complaining). We can keep the box we have, but I don't know what the cost to rent or buy the new box will be.

On their high definition channels, they currently offer 3 available to those of us with satellite receivers, and the new offering of several more is just for those with cable. They are working towards offering more for those with satellite receivers.

Please note that the top of the line Dreambox (DM 800C HD PVR)being offered by one of the Thai websites that also advertises Truevisions, costs THB 13,000, as an indication.

Stupidly, I tempted the AV gods. I should have learned from the times I tempted the golf gods and paid dearly. Today, it stopped working. I called, they resent the signal, but it still didn't work. However, when I called I was given new info which I think you will find interesting, given the info you provided.

I was told that they are abandoning the Humax PVR and sometime around October will offer a Samsung engineered High Definition PVR (referred to as a hybrid) manufactured especially for Truevisions. Also (but this hasn't been confirmed), I was told that they will make the new PVR available first to those of us who have purchased the PVR and are having problems (there must be many Thai's that are also complaining). We can keep the box we have, but I don't know what the cost to rent or buy the new box will be.

On their high definition channels, they currently offer 3 available to those of us with satellite receivers, and the new offering of several more is just for those with cable. They are working towards offering more for those with satellite receivers.

Please note that the top of the line Dreambox (DM 800C HD PVR)being offered by one of the Thai websites that also advertises Truevisions, costs THB 13,000, as an indication.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that OMR. Btw, i know exactly what you mean about the golf god! Had many a battle with that one,although right now my biggest one is with the Saab god that keeps venting his anger!

Surprised to hear that True are looking at another machine to replace the Humax - although not to say discouraged - good news if they do. Surprised because they seemed so half-hearted about the way they marketed the Humax, and it seemed to complete go over the heads of Thais, who i don't think have ever been into videoing TV, whether it be VHS or any method really.

As far as keeping the box we have, should bloody well think so! Paid 10,000 for the piece of you know what!

I got a DM8000 online, don't remember the shop, it was about 800 euros

with dual satellite receivers. I also got a dual LNB (about 15 euros). I added

a 1TB disk to the DM8000 and a DVD drive (about 600 baht).

Installed latest PLI software (www.pli-images.org), and have never looked back.

Yes it was very expensive, but one of the best investments I have ever made.

The DM800 is a lot cheaper, but has some problems - do your research

before proceeding.

Cheers,

rudi

The Samsung/True HD PVR set up box will be offered on a rent only basis (still don't know how much). True's incentive for switching is to placate the numerous Thai's that have purchased or rented the Humax PVR. I am still being told that they will make it available as quick as possible to those who have been using the Humax PVR. This initiative will be announced around October on their website and in their hard copy(in Thai language only).

Since the people I am talking to don't know much about this other than what they are being told to tell call in customers, I would urge those interested to contact their friends, especially Thai's that have already purchased the Humax PVR to see what they are being told.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The Samsung/True HD PVR set up box will be offered on a rent only basis (still don't know how much). True's incentive for switching is to placate the numerous Thai's that have purchased or rented the Humax PVR. I am still being told that they will make it available as quick as possible to those who have been using the Humax PVR. This initiative will be announced around October on their website and in their hard copy(in Thai language only).

Since the people I am talking to don't know much about this other than what they are being told to tell call in customers, I would urge those interested to contact their friends, especially Thai's that have already purchased the Humax PVR to see what they are being told.

Good luck!

Spoke to True about my PVR, and they did end up admitting that if they take it in for repair, it probably will end up after a short period having the same problems.

Right now, for this month, they have a promotion of replacing old receivers for new HD receivers without charge. Not sure if these are the Samsungs you mention above? I was told that these receivers are capable of being used as recording devices, like PVR, but for some reason right now, can not. By November they will be able to do something to the receiver, to make it possible. Possibly an extra monthly charge will be incurred should you want this feature.

Am not sure what to do. PVR stills works to a fashion, and i'd prefer to wait until what they are replacing it with, can also record. But they seem to suggest that this offer will not last. Could of course be marketing BS, but then it's not like they are charging.

Rixalex,

Thanks for the feedback OMR. Great to hear that things seem improved. Did they do the work under warrantee? Surprised if they did as unlike the regular receivers, PVR was only available to buy, so once a year has passed, you are on your own - at least that is what they implied when i bought mine.

And it does seem like they have given up on PVR, at least in terms of new customers. When i ordered mine they tried to talk me out of it. It was also quite ominous that on the blurb that came with the machine, there was a bit about if True stopped providing the PVR service, the machine would still be operable. And speaking of the service, when i got the machine they said for the first year they would waive the monthly service charge - about 300 baht i think. Over a year has passed and they are still waiving. Same for everyone else?

Anyway, will give some thought to sending mine in, although will be a bit of a wrench to lose all the stuff that is on the hard drive.

They never did charge us monthly for the PVR. But now, when asking about changing the service down a package, and dropping a receiver, 300B/month is being added for the PVR. I've been really unhappy with the PVR as it freezes all the time. So, considering just dropping True altogether. Download what I want and watch BBC/CNN online...with a scheduler I recently found (replay media catcher).

Rixalex,

They never did charge us monthly for the PVR. But now, when asking about changing the service down a package, and dropping a receiver, 300B/month is being added for the PVR. I've been really unhappy with the PVR as it freezes all the time. So, considering just dropping True altogether. Download what I want and watch BBC/CNN online...with a scheduler I recently found (replay media catcher).

Problem for me has always been live sport. It's the main reason i remain a True Visions customer. Probably the only reason actually. There really is no alternative.

Regarding the new HD receivers, if you are connected by cable, the extra monthly charge will be close to 500 baht. With the external hard drive, it will supposedly do the same job as our PVR machines. If they don't suffer from all the issues, like the freezing, that the Humax does, it will be worth making the switch. I'm pretty much decided to so. The Humax has become so unreliable. 10,000 baht for six months of trouble full usage. True Visions have done me over once again. What a company.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/497369-true-visions-on-screen-tv-guide/page__p__4700993__fromsearch__1#entry4700993

I started the above thread thinking the problem to be a general one with True Visions receivers, but i'm starting to think it is specific to PVR. Concerns the on screen program guide coming up in either combination Thai and English, or just Thai. Anybody else with PVR experiencing this?

What I find amazing is that you find 8 programmes a night on True that are actually worth watching?

Excluding the football and currently the rugby I'm hard pressed to find 8 programmes a month worth watching.

Did i say that i found 8 progammes a night worth watching? If i did, it was clearly a slip of the tongue!

The on-screen guide includes all programming for the week ahead, and it's when scrolling through that programming i am finding a lot of English programmes now in Thai script, so quite impossible to know what they are without either learning to read Thai or digging the magazine out of the bin, neither for which i can really be arsed.

Another problem it creates is that where as before in My Programs everything was listed alphabetically, now it starts with all the programs that were listed in English alphabetically, and then goes onto a hotchpotch of various programs that were listed in Thai.

What I find amazing is that you find 8 programmes a night on True that are actually worth watching?

Excluding the football and currently the rugby I'm hard pressed to find 8 programmes a month worth watching.

Did i say that i found 8 progammes a night worth watching? If i did, it was clearly a slip of the tongue!

The on-screen guide includes all programming for the week ahead, and it's when scrolling through that programming i am finding a lot of English programmes now in Thai script, so quite impossible to know what they are without either learning to read Thai or digging the magazine out of the bin, neither for which i can really be arsed.

Another problem it creates is that where as before in My Programs everything was listed alphabetically, now it starts with all the programs that were listed in English alphabetically, and then goes onto a hotchpotch of various programs that were listed in Thai.

I was referring to the OP.

Edited by PattayaParent

I was referring to the OP.

Oops. Sorry.