Appointments For Uk Visas

I don't know who I'm more mad at, ThaiVisa or the British visa application place who just persist on making it more and more annoying to apply for British visas. My girlfriend just spent the entire morning preparing documents only to find out that she is not able to apply for a visa without making an appointment. She's going away tonight for 2 weeks.

I can understand having to make an appointment for an interview or to collect your visa, but just to give them the documents??? Surely you should be able to just drop them off. And who's policy is this? The company that makes bucket loads of money doing what the embassy is too lazy to do themselves? What if you lived far away? And shouldn't they notify people of this change?

And as for TV (and you guys usually do a great job!!!) why wasn't this sent around as "Breaking News"??? I would have thought that this is a significant enough change to warrant a mailing, did this happen and I missed it?

Would it actually be possible to just rock up and persuade them to accept your application? My girlfriend has been to England 6 times and has never needed to make an appointment to dump off her documents before - have others done this?

I know that as recently as late 2010, walk-ins at VFS were tolerated and accommodated, albeit normally with a long wait while applicants with appointments were processed. However, in the interim the language on the VFS site has become more explicit: "Applicants who visit the visa application centre without an appointment will not be able to submit an application, and will be advised to book an appointment online." Not sure if another member has a recent walk-in experience to relate. Your GF can certainly try to visit VFS without an appointment - all they can do is say "No".

BTW, I assume your GF is also aware that application forms must now be completed online and then printed - handwritten forms are no longer acceptable. After completing the online form, the website takes you through the process of booking an appointment. I suggest she book an appointment ASAP in case she is not accepted without one.

"And shouldn't they notify people of this change?"

They did. Simply by looking at the VFS website or UKBA website it is clear that applications must be made online. I understand that you're frustrated. But why put the blame on TV and the VFS office? Its down to the applicant to understand the application process. Did you not look at the VFS or UKBA guidance before your GF went to submit her application?

From the VFS website:-

26 April 2011: Mandatory online UK visa applications. From 2 May all customers applying in Thailand for a UK visa are required to complete a visa application form online using the online visa application system only. Customers who have not completed a visa application form online will not be able to submit their visa application. After completing the online application form, customers will also need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information and visa application at the visa application centre in Bangkok. Customers who visit the visa application centre without making an appointment online will be unable to submit their visa application.

And also covered in Section 4 on the VFS "How to Apply Page":-

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/applying.aspx

Regards

26 April 2011: Mandatory online UK visa applications. From 2 May all customers applying in Thailand for a UK visa are required to complete a visa application form online using the online visa application system only. Customers who have not completed a visa application form online will not be able to submit their visa application. After completing the online application form, customers will also need to book an appointment online to submit their biometric information and visa application at the visa application centre in Bangkok. Customers who visit the visa application centre without making an appointment online will be unable to submit their visa application.

What I find strange about this: if you have to complete it online, then what's the point of printing it out and having to take it to them? Completing it online (by definition) means they have it in their system. Why would you have to then hand them a printed copy? That sounds awfully redundant. Couldn't they ask you to print a certification page that you sign and can post in?

But I am glad I just found this, we'll be applying for a UK visa soon. Good to know. Thanks

Fair enough mate, good point. I guess I'm just pissed because they keep changing it all the time.

I think you need a third option, of being mad at yourself, for not checking up-to-date requirements from a primary source.

What I find strange about this: if you have to complete it online, then what's the point of printing it out and having to take it to them? Completing it online (by definition) means they have it in their system. Why would you have to then hand them a printed copy? That sounds awfully redundant. Couldn't they ask you to print a certification page that you sign and can post in?

But I am glad I just found this, we'll be applying for a UK visa soon. Good to know. Thanks

Glad to be of service :-)

And I completely agree about the online thing. Why can't they just process it from the online application, especially for someone like my girlfriend who has plenty of collatoral and has been to England 6 times already. It should be a done deal.

It's a bit like having an E-ticket and then having to print the thing out before they allow you in the airport (Cairo) - "its an E-ticket guys, no paper!"

What I find strange about this: if you have to complete it online, then what's the point of printing it out and having to take it to them?

because your wife needs to sign the application, then hand it in.

What I find strange about this: if you have to complete it online, then what's the point of printing it out and having to take it to them?

because your wife needs to sign the application, then hand it in.

There are other ways around signature, or do it the way the US visas are done, only print the confirmation page, sign and take that to the interview

You should of course want to print it anyway, regardless of the requirements, in order to keep a record for yourself.

Killing more trees in the process. I haven't done the US/UK visas yet, but if they're anything like the Aussie one, my last one was over 60 pages - yeah, I could have trimmed it down, but I wanted to be sure it would be approved!

And I completely agree about the online thing. Why can't they just process it from the online application, especially for someone like my girlfriend who has plenty of collatoral and has been to England 6 times already. It should be a done deal.

It's a bit like having an E-ticket and then having to print the thing out before they allow you in the airport (Cairo) - "its an E-ticket guys, no paper!"

Because your girlfriend, like any other applicant, must give her biometrics. Before you say that she has already done that when she applied previously, the process involves confirming that the applicant is the same person who applied on previous occasions ( by matching fingerprints ) and confirming that whilst in the UK previously the applicant didn't come to adverse notice eg. wasn't arrested, etc.

Edited by VisasPlus

The on-line side of things is more for convenience for everyone. It will allow you to store an application safely. It means that every application is typewritten so processing does not involve deciphering applicants writing and speeds up the processing of the application once the ECO gets round to it,(obviously it does not change the time it sits in a pile).

You would still need to present the supporting documentation, photos etc so I fail to see a problem with the way it is done now. It does need signing, biometrics need to be completed so it is hardly that much of a hardship to print it out.

The appointments arrangements at VPS have clearly changed since my wife completed her application. The appointment times that were voluntary at that stage were often a long way ahead so hopefully by making them all appointment this delay has been reduced. As long as emergency appointments are available again I fail to see the problem.

Yes they keep on moving the goal posts and making applying for a visa more hassle fopr the likes of myself.

this will create a few issues regarding people who don't have access to a home computer and for people who may have never used a computer.

I was hoping to get all the paperwork done before flying off to BK and then just write in the information on our marriage and then submit the application.

My fear is now that we will be going to BK, Getting married and then finding a PC to use to fill in the on line application form.

we were hoping to submit the application on the Friday, But now we have to take a different View depending on how soon my GF can get a interview. so for us , its more hassle because i am only in Thailand for 10 nights and my GF needs all the support that i can give her and i cant do that 6000 miles away, Plus she will have to travel from yasothon for the interview.

Malc

Malc,

Why don't you just fill in the on-line application from the UK just before you leave for thailand. You could then book a date to take the supporting documents for a day when you are in thailand with your wife. That's what I'll be doing in September. You also mention an interview. The appointments which you book on-line are to hand in the supporting evidence, signed form and have biometrics done, not to have an interview. I may be wrong but I believe if all the info is supplied then its rare to have to have an interview these days and if so, maybe just a telephone interview.

Regards

Yes they keep on moving the goal posts and making applying for a visa more hassle fopr the likes of myself.

this will create a few issues regarding people who don't have access to a home computer and for people who may have never used a computer.

I was hoping to get all the paperwork done before flying off to BK and then just write in the information on our marriage and then submit the application.

My fear is now that we will be going to BK, Getting married and then finding a PC to use to fill in the on line application form.

we were hoping to submit the application on the Friday, But now we have to take a different View depending on how soon my GF can get a interview. so for us , its more hassle because i am only in Thailand for 10 nights and my GF needs all the support that i can give her and i cant do that 6000 miles away, Plus she will have to travel from yasothon for the interview.

Malc

once married will your wife take your name? if so she will need a new passport ( 3 days from bangkok ampur) - but then the authorities cannot change her name in bangkok. you would have to get married in her home town.

if you are pushed for time - your gf could travel to bkk and take the tb test before you come (can do the tb test all in the same day). also she will of course need to take her english test before you come ( it takes anything up to 2 weeks to get the certificate ).

when you apply online you can only get an appointment for 5 days in advance. finding an internet cafe in bkk is not a problem though

Because your girlfriend, like any other applicant, must give her biometrics. Before you say that she has already done that when she applied previously, the process involves confirming that the applicant is the same person who applied on previous occasions ( by matching fingerprints ) and confirming that whilst in the UK previously the applicant didn't come to adverse notice eg. wasn't arrested, etc.

Why couldn't she just apply online and then prove that she is the same person when she goes to collect her visa? Quick eye scan - "ypu, it's you" - here's the visa!

Why couldn't she just apply online and then prove that she is the same person when she goes to collect her visa? Quick eye scan - "ypu, it's you" - here's the visa!

And what about all the supporting documents, would she email them?

I'm not a particular fan of the UKBA, but this is a tried and tested, well publicised, system which, in the whole, works quite well, and indeed is practiced by most visa sections. Just be glad your wife is not from Laos, they have to travel to Bangkok and stay in Thailand while the application is being processed.

Just be glad your wife is not from Laos, they have to travel to Bangkok and stay in Thailand while the application is being processed.

And be even more glad that you are not Australian; a spouse visa application for Oz can take over a year! See here.

From reading posts on here it does seem that out of the more 'popular' countries the UK has the simplest and quickest settlement procedure; yet Brits do the most complaining about how complex and lengthy the process is. Maybe it's because there are more Brit members, maybe it's for some other reason.

And what about all the supporting documents, would she email them?

I'm not a particular fan of the UKBA, but this is a tried and tested, well publicised, system which, in the whole, works quite well, and indeed is practiced by most visa sections. Just be glad your wife is not from Laos, they have to travel to Bangkok and stay in Thailand while the application is being processed.

Tell me about it :angry:

Is it possible to make a alteration to the application form prior to the appointment?

My GF is sitting her A1 test in the UK and will have her results before traveling Back to Thailand.

She will be also be getting her TB test when she gets Home or in Bangkok (their was no Mention of a TB test on the application form but i know that you must have one.

The only thing that will be missing from the application form will be details of the Marriage.

So if we apply on line 1 week before travelling out to Bangkok and arrange an appointment for the day after the wedding (25Th Aug) Can you then go back on line and make an adjustment and add the details of the wedding ready for the appointment?

Because of the lack of time, we have decided not to do the name change.

Malc

The document is sent and signed digitally before an appointment can be made, so no changes cannot be made. You must fill out the form, then do the necessary changes or additions, then make the appointment.

Is it possible to make a alteration to the application form prior to the appointment?

My GF is sitting her A1 test in the UK and will have her results before traveling Back to Thailand.

She will be also be getting her TB test when she gets Home or in Bangkok (their was no Mention of a TB test on the application form but i know that you must have one.

The only thing that will be missing from the application form will be details of the Marriage.

So if we apply on line 1 week before travelling out to Bangkok and arrange an appointment for the day after the wedding (25Th Aug) Can you then go back on line and make an adjustment and add the details of the wedding ready for the appointment?

Because of the lack of time, we have decided not to do the name change.

Malc

you dont have to put any details about the marriage on the visa app form. you say your wife wont change her name yet, if she did, then you would have to add the new passport number to the application.

and the TB test has to be done in BKK

Edited by kunash

isaanbrit

There are lots of reasons why it doesn't make sense to do biometrics after the visa is processed. But, she gives biometrics when she submits the application. She can then have her passport returned to her by courier, so she doesn't have to pick it up from Bangkok. So, she only goes once to VFS either way ?

Edited by VisasPlus

UKBA has already got my GF's biometrics from when she first applied for a Visitors Visa, So does that make any difference when applying again?

"She can then have her passport returned to her by courier" will they still need her Passport to Add a Spouse Visa?

UKBA has already got my GF's biometrics from when she first applied for a Visitors Visa, So does that make any difference when applying again?

"She can then have her passport returned to her by courier" will they still need her Passport to Add a Spouse Visa?

she will still need to give her biometrics.

the embasy will need her passport

To answer some of the general points raised in preceding posts.

There is no mention of a TB certificate on the application form because the same form is used worldwide and such a certificate is not required from all applicants, only those applying in a country with a high incidence of TB. One should always check with the local embassy or UK visa application centre for country specific requirements.

You do not need to enter details of your marriage on the application form. However, you should supply your marriage certificate with the application among your supporting documents.

All applicants must have their biometrics taken each time they apply. As VP says, this is to ensure that it is the same person as before. I'm sure that no one here would do so, but there are people who attempt to obtain a visa or entry to the UK using a false or someone else's identity.

Applicant's only need to attend the VAC once, when submitting the application. Whilst doing this they can arrange to have their passport couriered back to them, or collected by someone on their behalf. They can, of course, collect it themselves if they wish.

The embassy will retain an applicant's passport during the entire process. If the applicant requests it back before a decision has been made then the application will be treated as withdrawn, with no refund of the fee. Although I think there is provision for returning the passport in exceptionally compassionate cases.

I was one of those grumbling about the delays in processing a settlement visa. Having seen how long the Australian authorities take to process these applications I would no longer grumble. Waiting 8-12 weeks is a bit of an inconvenience but over a year is a disgrace.