Increase In Australian Standard Processing Times (Again)

On the 25th of February I posted on the increase in standard processing times from 3 months to 10 month for offshore partner visa applications (subclass 309) submitted to the Australian Embassy, Bangkok after the 07/02/2011. DIAC have just updated the standard processing times (again) to 13 months for offshore partner visa applications submitted in high risk countries:

DIAC - Processing Times

I spoke to a case officer at the Australian Embassy today who informed me that applications are currently being processed between 10 months and 1 year.

Prepare for the wait folks.

Note - the same time frames apply to prospective marriage visa applications (subclass 300)

Bridge

Edited by bridge

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking this new 13 month waiting period is for applications submitted as at this new date? Any applications received prior to are 10 months?

can you please give us some good news lol

thanks for the update.

It just keeps getting better :)

Just checking this new 13 month waiting period is for applications submitted as at this new date? Any applications received prior to are 10 months?

can you please give us some good news lol

thanks for the update.

It just keeps getting better :)

My take on it was applications submitted prior to 7th of February are still 3 months or so. Application since then are between 10 to 12 months.

The second stage processing times also seem to be increasing (the second stage is when the spouse proceeds from their initial 2-year temp visa to the permanent residence). The document we received yesterday says to expect a wait of 6-8 months once the second-stage documents have been submitted. This is several months longer than the indicated wait time when I asked a few months ago.

My wife and I submitted our application in early May of this year, it took a couple of phone calls from myself to actually find out our case number and case officer name. My wife has still yet to be contacted by the case officer, so we have been waiting for this to occur, to enable her to do her Medical before we organise a Visitor Visa. Problem is we have no idea how long its going to take, and is it worth getting her over soon, and run the risk of getting a phone call 2 weeks after she arrives her asking her to do her medical.

What would others recommend we do ? waiting around like this is absolutely outrageous, we are legally married, but it seems that does not mean anything to them. I understand there is protocol and large waiting times, but its crazy the way they make you just sit around without any contact at all. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Oh well, the waits on but it would be great to just get the medical out of the way. I am going to send through the visitor visa anyway, and state on the application that we would request her do her medical as soon as possible, also noting down case number and case officer. Anyone else going through this frustrating process ?

My wife and I submitted our application in early May of this year, it took a couple of phone calls from myself to actually find out our case number and case officer name. My wife has still yet to be contacted by the case officer, so we have been waiting for this to occur, to enable her to do her Medical before we organise a Visitor Visa. Problem is we have no idea how long its going to take, and is it worth getting her over soon, and run the risk of getting a phone call 2 weeks after she arrives her asking her to do her medical.

What would others recommend we do ? waiting around like this is absolutely outrageous, we are legally married, but it seems that does not mean anything to them. I understand there is protocol and large waiting times, but its crazy the way they make you just sit around without any contact at all. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Oh well, the waits on but it would be great to just get the medical out of the way. I am going to send through the visitor visa anyway, and state on the application that we would request her do her medical as soon as possible, also noting down case number and case officer. Anyone else going through this frustrating process ?

Hi Sparky2205,

Your wife has only just submitted her partner visa application two months ago. Standard processing time is currently 10 to 12 months so you do have quite a bit of a wait in front of you unfortunately. Under new eHealth procedures your wife can only undertake medicals (medical and X-ray) for her partner visa once advised to do so by the Embassy in BKK. There is of course nothing stopping your wife applying for a tourist visa now to visit Australia during the processing period of her partner visa application. Turboadam did just that and his wife is currently in Australia on a 6 month tourist visa. His wife's partner visa application was lodged mid June.

Bridge

Okay excellent information once again Bridge, just one question mate, if my Wife is over here on the Visitors Visa, will she be able to do the medical when she returns after 3 months ? or does it have to be done when requested ?

When she submits the tourist visa application she would tell them (DIAC) that she has already submitted the partner visa application to the Oz Embassy, BKK, which is currently under processing (Q.36 of the 48R - re previous PR applications). What they are doing currently is sending applicants of to get the medical/xray out of the way. I would however included a covering letter that your wife is lodging her tourist visa application to visit Australia during the processing of her partner visa application. Nothing wrong at all with that.

Is It possible for Sparky to get the medicals done in Australia?

Medicals have to be done offshore.

Bridge, the recent posts have open up a world of possibilities from my perspective. My wife will apply for her partner visa at the end of this month. Presumably, with the increase in waiting times, her visa wouldn't be approved before the middle of next year. I have to return to Australia to work at the end of this year. The idea of leaving my wife and son is not an appealing one. Is it possible for her to join me on a tourist visa for a few months and return when advised that it is time for a medical? What is the waiting time for a tourist visa?

Edited by Logarhythm

Hello Bridge

So what you are saying is - if we apply for a tourist visa whilst the partner visa is being processed - the embassy will get our partners to do the medical before tourist visa is approved - this potentially could speed up this process.

Also I believe we can submit our visa applications to the Embassy so long as we have an appointment - Could we contact our case officer and submit the toursit visa to them as they have the partner visa already? If they get our partners to undergo a medical would they not also interview them if necessary as well?

Bridge any info appreciated

many thanks

Okay excellent information once again Bridge, just one question mate, if my Wife is over here on the Visitors Visa, will she be able to do the medical when she returns after 3 months ? or does it have to be done when requested ?

When she submits the tourist visa application she would tell them (DIAC) that she has already submitted the partner visa application to the Oz Embassy, BKK, which is currently under processing (Q.36 of the 48R - re previous PR applications). What they are doing currently is sending applicants of to get the medical/xray out of the way. I would however included a covering letter that your wife is lodging her tourist visa application to visit Australia during the processing of her partner visa application. Nothing wrong at all with that.

This thread like many has a life of it's own. My mind is now racing with possibilities.

I was planning to apply for the partner visa at the end on the month. Would it be better for my wife to hold off submitting an application and instead enter Australia on a tourist visa and apply onshore for a partner visa? This would presumably eliminate the need to return to Thailand for a medical and visa collection. Is it a viable option?

This thread like many has a life of it's own. My mind is now racing with possibilities.

I was planning to apply for the partner visa at the end on the month. Would it be better for my wife to hold off submitting an application and instead enter Australia on a tourist visa and apply onshore for a partner visa? This would presumably eliminate the need to return to Thailand for a medical and visa collection. Is it a viable option?

Condition 8503 "No Further Stay" most likely be imposed on visa, eliminating any chance of applying for any onshore visa.

Condition 8503 "No Further Stay" most likely be imposed on visa, eliminating any chance of applying for any onshore visa.

Thank you. I'll cross that option off. There's nothing stopping me applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a partner visa to be processed though, is there?

Thank you. I'll cross that option off. There's nothing stopping me applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a partner visa to be processed though, is there?

Correct, but as to how long and how many times it is granted is anyones guess.

The second stage processing times also seem to be increasing (the second stage is when the spouse proceeds from their initial 2-year temp visa to the permanent residence). The document we received yesterday says to expect a wait of 6-8 months once the second-stage documents have been submitted. This is several months longer than the indicated wait time when I asked a few months ago.

How things gave changed in the past 8 years. Our initial application was processed in 25 days at the Australian (Bangkok) Embassy and 2 years later we took the Permanent Residence papers into the Immigration office in Perth where they were processed on the spot and the visas placed into the passports of TW and her daughter there and then, took all of about 40 minutes.

Correct, but as to how long and how many times it is granted is anyones guess.

One thing that concerns me, is my wife is Filipino. How would that effect an application for a tourist visa in Thailand? She would most likely have to quit her job in order to go to Australia for 3 months.

howareyou

If everything ran so smoothly that would be the perfect outcome.

What I am hearing is that applicants applying for tourist visas during the processing of a partner visa application are being asked to do the medicals now. In any event if an applicant applies for a tourist visa for a stay of more than 3 months they are required to undertake a radiological examination anyway.

The case officer that handles the partner visa application will not be the same as the one that handles the tourist visa application. With processing being so lengthy now the interview for the partner visa application will definitely not be in the early part of the processing period. It is not possible to dictate to DIAC when you want the interview will take place either unfortunately.

That is correct. We applied for a partner and a viositor at the same time. Ausatralia immigration made my wife get a medical and police check before the visitor visa was given.

They kept her passport for 2 weeks while we did this

Would this 13 months apply to new applications only possibly those lodged at the same time or after the price rise?

Or would those already lodged prior to July 1 still have a 10 month time frame.

Edited by raymp

Would this 13 months apply to new applications only possibly those lodged at the same time or after the price rise?

Or would those already lodged prior to July 1 still have a 10 month time frame.

Hi Raymp,

A bit of conflicting information, but I think the general view is this.

Applications submitted prior to 7th of Feb are being processed under the previous 3 month standard processing times. In fact if that is the case, most should be processed by now right? Question: Has anyone here submitted an offshore partner visa application (subclass 309) to the Australian Embassy, Bangkok prior to 07/02/2011 and still waiting a determination?

ALL applications submitted after that date are hoped to be processed now between 10 to 12 months. This is the info I have received recently from inquiries I have made.

Unless the rules have changed since April 2008, a partner visa application can be made whilst in Australia on a tourist visa. I can speak from a first hand experience as my wife did so and also my mate's wife did aswel. We had all the documentation including the police check with us from Thailand, when we arrived in Australia. I can't remember exactly what condition of stay was on her tourist visa at the time.

I applied for permanent residency for my wife on 5th May and got it approved on 21st June in Brisbane.

This is absolutely disgraceful by the Australian Government that waiting times are so long, being married myself with a thai wife and son (dual citizenship)

I was going to put in her application in august to come live in oz with me guess its another hole year before my son and wife can live with me as a family.

This is not acceptable in any way whatsoever and i will be writing to julia a very well worded letter and if there is no response i will be going to anybody that listens

newspapers, T.v, radio, my local member of parliament who ever i can to get the response i want to here.

It is about time The Australian Government started to do something about waiting times at the Thai embassy, i urge everybody in the same situation to do the same

so that we are heard and get a satisfactory result.

Why is it that my mates American wife can apply and be given her visa to live here in 5 working days ???and yet if you are a Thai national then you can just wait, we the oz government say

F.U Thailand nationals we do not care 1 bit about you and your new family Discrimination i think.

Am I Peed right off, you F.......ing Bet I am and everybody in the same situation should be too lets start doing something about this. .

This is absolutely disgraceful by the Australian Government that waiting times are so long, being married myself with a thai wife and son (dual citizenship)

I was going to put in her application in august to come live in oz with me guess its another hole year before my son and wife can live with me as a family.

This is not acceptable in any way whatsoever and i will be writing to julia a very well worded letter and if there is no response i will be going to anybody that listens

newspapers, T.v, radio, my local member of parliament who ever i can to get the response i want to here.

It is about time The Australian Government started to do something about waiting times at the Thai embassy, i urge everybody in the same situation to do the same

Why is it that my mates American wife can apply and be given her visa to live here in 5 working days ???and yet if you are a Thai national then you can just wait, we the oz government say

F.U Thailand nationals we do not care 1 bit about you and your new family Discrimination i think.

Am I Peed right off, you F.......ing Bet I am and everybody in the same situation should be too lets start doing something about this. .

Actually it is the Australian Embassy in Thailand that processes applications to Oz, Nothing to do with the Thai Embassy.

There is a way you can get your family here in less than 6 months.....If you were to settle down and stop being outraged and start using your head, you'd work it out. No I cant tell you.

Actually it is the Australian Embassy in Thailand that processes applications to Oz, Nothing to do with the Thai Embassy.

There is a way you can get your family here in less than 6 months.....If you were to settle down and stop being outraged and start using your head, you'd work it out. No I cant tell you.

Graham,

I fully empathize with timestamps frustration. He has every right to be outraged - I don't blame him at all . Processing times have now gone from 3 months to 13 month's. That is a disgrace.

However writing to Gillard would be akin to pissing in the wind.