Top 10 Misconceptions Farangs Have Of Thai Women

Berkshire

Just read this on the Stickman's 24 Jul 11 weekly column (http://www.stickmanb...women-myths.htm). Pretty darn accurate assessment of the myth western men seem to want to perpetuate about Thai women. Having been in Thailand a lot of years, I gotta say the Stickman is right-on-the-money on all of these. This should be a must-read for all farangs wanting to settle in Thailand. It may help to minimize the heartaches and misunderstandings that seem to occur with such frequent regularity.

The Stickman explains each one, but to summarize, these are his top ten myths regarding Thai women:

1. Thai women don't like Thai men

2. Thai women are not concerned about a man's age

3. Thai women aren't concerned how a guy looks

4. Thai women allow their husband to fool around

5. Thai women working as prostitutes in Thailand are sold into the industry by their family and are indentured slaves

6. A foreign man marrying a Thai woman has to pay a sin sot (dowry) and support her family forever

7. You pay for it with Thai women one way or the other

8. All Thai women are available for a price

9. Thai women don't have the same employment opportunities as men in Thailand

10. I know my Thai girlfriend / wife loves me because she told me

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say there is a big difference between Thai woman and Thai bar girls likes and dislikes.

For one it is business the other it is hard to define each ladys individual taste.

So the list is aimed at bargirls predominantly i think yes?

Thai ladys are just that,from my experience.

LOL, please Louise not another newbie quoting slick man.

My Buddah, actually if that guy would have taken his own advice maybe he would not have spent the most productive years of his working life wasting away as an English teacher wannabe and private detective hack ratting on bar girls. Sad really.

But I do hope he tricks ... I mean finds some buyer for that outdated website so he can finally escape the bar scene which he writes that he so loathes but cannot somehow break free. Maybe it is an addiction like Any Winehouse but then again slick man is far past the 27-years old club.

Looking around Pattaya last month, I'd have to say numbers 2 and 3 are not myths.

If you're talking bargirls, you're probably right. I don't think he's talking about bargirls.

Stickman! i think he is talking about bargirls :)

My Buddah, actually if that guy would have taken his own advice maybe he would not have spent the most productive years of his working life wasting away as an English teacher wannabe and private detective hack ratting on bar girls. Sad really.

But I do hope he tricks ... I mean finds some buyer for that outdated website so he can finally escape the bar scene which he writes that he so loathes but cannot somehow break free. Maybe it is an addiction like Any Winehouse but then again slick man is far past the 27-years old club.

^ "That's funny and completely true.

I had read that stick guys dribble years back. Personally that's all I saw it as. Same with the assnine book "Thailand Fever". It is all on how to negotiate a relationship after you have fallen in love with a bar girl. Sheese. Meet a woman and let it take it's course. I say woman, Not a bar girl. Those are two entirely different females. There are more wonderful woman here then the bar girls in the select 5 hang outs foreigner men migrate too.

I was reading some topics about thai girls on another website. livingthai.org. You should read the crap that has been written on there.

For instance - How to get your girlfriend into bed with another girl. Why get to know a girl and manipulate them so much, as to get them into bed with another girl. What a complete head f%cker he is to do that to a person. Then go's out of his way to write about it, so someone else can do it or a visitor to Thailand can have the impression that Thai girls are just pieces of meat, that you can do what you like to them.

No wonder falangs have a bad name in Thailand, if thats the kind of sh_t that is floating around.

Sorry if i wasn't supposed to name the website. Not sure of the rules on that. But just makes me angry at the way some people think they can treat someone, just because they need money.

I was reading some topics about thai girls on another website. livingthai.org. You should read the crap that has been written on there.

For instance - How to get your girlfriend into bed with another girl. Why get to know a girl and manipulate them so much, as to get them into bed with another girl. What a complete head f%cker he is to do that to a person. Then go's out of his way to write about it, so someone else can do it or a visitor to Thailand can have the impression that Thai girls are just pieces of meat, that you can do what you like to them.

No wonder falangs have a bad name in Thailand, if thats the kind of sh_t that is floating around.

Sorry if i wasn't supposed to name the website. Not sure of the rules on that. But just makes me angry at the way some people think they can treat someone, just because they need money.

Dean,

It is utter nonsense and sad.. People Google Thailand and visiting and it sends them right to Pattaya or Phuket and then endless pop ups of bar girl scenes, Dating websites, then party stuff and so on. No wonder why they flock here and act like fools. It is very hard being a foreigner residing in Thailand as we are lumped into that bucket of crap of sickness, mental health issues, drunks and degenerates. It is something we will fight forever. Coincidentally Thai woman suffer the same garbage. A good portion of Thai's see a foreigner man with a Thai woman and they assume she is a former bar girl and has found her ticket out. They will fight this stigma forever.

Interesting that the list is largely is meant to highlight the fact that not all Thai women are bargirls and conclusions about them shouldn't be based on observations of and misconceptions about bargirls -- but it is also premised on the absurd and offensive notion that all Farangs are of the same type (ie the ones that view all Thai women as bargilrs and/or have interest in and knowledge of only bargirls).

Shallow. Boring. Unoriginal.

Of interest only to people who are at least relatively narrow-minded and have a very superficial knowledge of this place, I should think.

EDIT to fix crucial error (shouldn't not should!)

Edited by SteeleJoe

Interesting that the list is largely based on the fact that not all Thai women are bargirls and conclusions about them should be based on observations of and misconceptions about bargirls -- but it is also premised on the absurd and offensive notion that all Farangs are of the same type (ie the ones that view all Thai women as bargilrs and/or have interest in and knowledge of only bargirls).

Shallow. Boring. Unoriginal.

Of interest only to people who are at least relatively narrow-minded and have a very superficial knowledge of this place, I should think.

Agreed.

I suppose if they have just fallen off the plane then it might raise a smile. Every Thai girl I walk into is middle-class and an office worker. But that's the point isn't it: we all live in our own constrained circles. If you come here as a retired blue-collar worker you are not oging to be hanging around with doctoral candidates and execs, you are going to congregate with other foreign men with similar experiences.

Those circles tend to part from this earth relatively quickly or head back to the West, leaving there little opportuinity for insight and reflection to develop. And this will reinforce the false beliefs. And so the circle jerk of nonsense goes on.

Looking around Pattaya last month, I'd have to say numbers 2 and 3 are not myths.

------------------------------

There is your first misconception....to assume that Pattywhaker is typical of Thailand. Oh I'm sorry was that supposed to be Pattaya instead of Pattywhacker.

No, I got it right the first time.

The same misconception goes for the presumption that Bangkok, Phuket, or any other Farang tourist trap city is "typical" of Thailand.

There is your first misconception....to assume that Pattywhaker is typical of Thailand. Oh I'm sorry was that supposed to be Pattaya instead of Pattywhacker.

The same misconception goes for the presumption that Bangkok, Phuket, or any other Farang tourist trap city is "typical" of Thailand.

No. My first misconception was believing everyone would have the sense to realize I was joking.

Edited by happyrobert

And not forgetting the misconception that the gigantic city of Bangkok is a mere Tourist trap.

And not forgetting the misconception that the gigantic city of Bangkok is a mere Tourist trap.

I nearly thought I'd point out the same thing -- but couldn't be bothered. (I'm so bored with the Farang who are like religious converts and zealously devoted to the belief that the "authentic" Thailand/Thais are only to be found in the more rural environs and/or certain socio-economic strata.

The fact is that Thailand - like any place -- has a multitude of facets (good and bad in many different ways. shapes and forms) and Thais -- like any other massive group -- come in a virtually infinite variety of "types" as well...and this includes Bangkok and all the Thais in it (the very idea of some foreigner deciding that circa 10 million Thais aren't real Thais or that their own capitol isn't really a genuine part of their country...)

No. My first misconception was believing everyone would have the sense to realize I was joking.

Best answer I have read in a long time. Really made me laugh.

WB

I ask myself, does the famous stickman live in the same Thailand as I do?

Who exactly is stickman these days, wasnt his site ghostwritten a few years ago.

Where is stickman these days?

What about his little spat with the galt a few yeras ago?

Does anyone actually read his site these days?

What relevance is his site to those of us who live here and dont frequent dumps like the Nana Plaza or have to pay for sex?

What is his beef with the arab?

Looking forward to his reply.

Best answer I have read in a long time. Really made me laugh.

WB

Thank you. The first one was supposed to do that too. But, based on a year of experience with many TV readers, I'll take 50% and be happy with it.

:D

I nearly thought I'd point out the same thing -- but couldn't be bothered. (I'm so bored with the Farang who are like religious converts and zealously devoted to the belief that the "authentic" Thailand/Thais are only to be found in the more rural environs and/or certain socio-economic strata.

The fact is that Thailand - like any place -- has a multitude of facets (good and bad in many different ways. shapes and forms) and Thais -- like any other massive group -- come in a virtually infinite variety of "types" as well...and this includes Bangkok and all the Thais in it (the very idea of some foreigner deciding that circa 10 million Thais aren't real Thais or that their own capitol isn't really a genuine part of their country...)

But you realize, of course, that New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are not representative of the United States anymore than London is of England. :whistling:

But you realize, of course, that New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are not representative of the United States anymore than London is of England. :whistling:

For the real England, you have to go to Redcar. or Skelm.

For the real USA, I would recommend Albaquerque.

For the real Scotland, I would recommend Hong Kong, and for the real Hong Kong, Sydney.

SC

For the real England, you have to go to Redcar. or Skelm.

For the real USA, I would recommend Albaquerque.

For the real Scotland, I would recommend Hong Kong, and for the real Hong Kong, Sydney.

SC

You need to learn how to spell Albuquerque. Years ago there was a study published on why men and woman choose their partners. For woman number 1 was security can this man provide me and my children security. Number 2 was is he a good mate strong and capable of fathering strong children. For men it was Number 1 can she have children and will they survive in other words hips and boobs lots of fat in case of lack of food.

This study was going into some interesting subjects because how many men would admit to checking out a woman and asking himself can she have children and will they survive. This is all done on a sub-concious level by both men and woman world wide. Of course there always is exception to the rules as a man gets older and no need to have any more children he may make decision differently.

Also in most relationships between men and women the man will more than likely make more money than the woman. She is looking for security.